What did you do to your Passat today? - Page 283

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 283 of 283 FirstFirst ... 183233273274275276277278279280281282283
Results 8,461 to 8,490 of 8490
Like Tree1934Likes

Thread: What did you do to your Passat today?

Neutral
    Replaced the brake booster a month or so ago and discovered this sensor (I assume) floating around under the master cylinder. Can anyone identify it, and where it is supposed to be attached?

Sensor 1.jpg

Sensor 2.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    That's half the cost of a set of axles from Marty.
    Raxle axles for the masses.
    Never bought one but looked around online they sell new one for about $80. I know they may not be as good but given the age of the car they may last for a couple of years before she's retired. I've never replace a CV boot or an entire axle so I don't know how hard it could be. I know the boot change is a dirty job so it would be better to replace the whole axle. Of course being able to remove the big bolt on the wheel is a dilemma by itself.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by tednelson View Post
    Replaced the brake booster a month or so ago and discovered this sensor (I assume) floating around under the master cylinder. Can anyone identify it, and where it is supposed to be attached?

Sensor 1.jpg

Sensor 2.jpg

I'm going to be honest, I don't know what that is or what it actually does. But that's the way it's supposed to be.
    I remember years back a bunch of us were trying to figure out what that thing does, I don't ever remember hearing a definite purpose other than that's the way it came from the factory.

So in short, don't sweat it. It's normal. Got one on my wife's 2003 GLX. It just hangs there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    Never bought one but looked around online they sell new one for about $80. I know they may not be as good but given the age of the car they may last for a couple of years before she's retired. I've never replace a CV boot or an entire axle so I don't know how hard it could be. I know the boot change is a dirty job so it would be better to replace the whole axle. Of course being able to remove the big bolt on the wheel is a dilemma by itself.
    Raxle axles are expensive, there's no doubt about that, but if your one that plans on keeping the car, it'll more than likely be the last set of axles you ever buy. Should the rare chance you need to replace one of Marty's axles, he has lifetime warranty. You simply can't go wrong.

I'm going to be honest, I don't know what that is or what it actually does.
    That is a transponder that transmits all your data (like conversations, geo locations, etc) to some secret agency for further analysis.

PZ
    Redline
    Drove mine for the 1st time in a month after putting 6K on the Tiguan the last 3 weeks. Decided I can live without it since I have been spoiled by the new Tiguan and my wife will not let me sell her Golf. Time to get some work done to prepare it for sale.
    benzivr6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tednelson View Post

Sensor 1.jpg

Sensor 2.jpg
    Not a 'sensor'. You're looking at an unused plug, with a (for lack of a better term) blanking cap snapped onto it (to prevent water ingress into said plug.)
    It's JustThere. As far as well all know, has no use in the U.S.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Drove mine for the 1st time in a month after putting 6K on the Tiguan the last 3 weeks. Decided I can live without it since I have been spoiled by the new Tiguan and my wife will not let me sell her Golf. Time to get some work done to prepare it for sale.
    Gonna need an oil change right quick.
    So how did the Tiguan do? Is it a worthy vehicle for you?

PZ
    Redline
    Gonna need an oil change right quick.
    So how did the Tiguan do? Is it a worthy vehicle for you?
    It did great. Only 1 tank below 30mpg and the highest was 35mpg. 80mph without a/c returned 33mpg (it was cold for much of the trip). It has more interior space than the Passat (even with the rear seat moved forward 3-4") and more luggage space below the cover (since I don't like to stack above on a trip). No mods done before the trip (started with less than 300 miles on it),both the handling and power were very good with it loaded down. The 4Mo is on demand, but it worked great in the snow and on the dirt roads we took. The 8sp Tip is nice, I left it in D most of the time unless I was going downhill (did lot's of steep mountains). The 2019 trans programming solves the complaints about it being sluggish, I will not chip it and it runs fine on 87. I will install coilovers and drop it about 2", but it will still have 6" of clearance (my car had less than 4" and only 3" when loaded). It does need a rear sway bar, but it already leans less than my wagon does. 10K oil changes with 0W20LL. Brakes are huge (13.4"F,11.8"R) and work very well. No sunroof, so no leak worries for the next 15-20 years. Overall it's the perfect replacement for my wagon (but not quite as much fun).
    benzivr6 and AndreasPassat like this.

PZ
    Redline
    Ordered a timing belt kit and fuel filter for #3, my youngest son's 2000 V6 FWD wagon. He's had it for just over 5 years and about 100K. Last changed when we bought it. Lot's of work to do in the next 2 weeks before he heads home to Cincinnati.
    benzivr6 likes this.

Ordered a timing belt kit and fuel filter for #3, my youngest son's 2000 V6 FWD wagon. He's had it for just over 5 years and about 100K. Last changed when we bought it. Lot's of work to do in the next 2 weeks before he heads home to Cincinnati.
    My kit arrived yesterday. Will tackle it this weekend. About 60K since last change, but either cam tensioner gaskets and/or cam seals are leaking - and am sick of oil spots on driveway.

PZ
    Redline
    My son claims an oil leak, but I did VCG, CCT and cam caps last year along with cleaning the PVC. I do have to find a coolant leak, he has to add some every month. I've replaced the coolant pipe O-rings and heater hoses already. The T-belt was a Gates Racing belt and the rest was all OEM VW. I would not have gone this long on aftermarket parts. I also ordered spark plugs as I don't think I have replaced them since just after we bought it.
    AndreasPassat likes this.

4th Gear
    My son claims an oil leak, but I did VCG, CCT and cam caps last year along with cleaning the PVC. I do have to find a coolant leak, he has to add some every month. I've replaced the coolant pipe O-rings and heater hoses already. The T-belt was a Gates Racing belt and the rest was all OEM VW. I would not have gone this long on aftermarket parts. I also ordered spark plugs as I don't think I have replaced them since just after we bought it.
    That Gates Racing belt has a claim of a 100k mile life cycle. I put one on my 2004 GLX when I pulled that motor in 2013. I drove from WI to CA and back to WI with about 6k miles on it. I pulled that belt out! When the car was cold the belt would make this very loud shrieking noise. Like the engine was going to seize up at any moment. Something with that blue coating rubbing on cam the sprocket teeth. Put a Genuine VW/Audi belt in it's place.
    Last edited by AndreasPassat; 06-13-2019 at 05:56 AM. Reason: grammar
    benzivr6 likes this.

4th Gear
    I didn't do anything per se, except watch in disbelief as some omen hexed my car this morning on the commute into work. Cruising a comfortable 90mph on I-10 my front left blinker assembly decided it wasn't worthy of being attached to my car anymore. I looked in utter amazement at the blinker assembly bouncing around and skidding down the roadway as the sharp corners were flying off in every direction and thought to myself, boy that sure looks like a B5 blinker housing. Moments later when I needed to move over a lane it was obvious that it was mine from the rapid clicking noise of the flasher relay. What a suck-ass way to start my day

Last edited by AndreasPassat; 06-13-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Neutral
    Dropped the exhaust and removed rear axles to get ready to replace side rear diff seals and front driveshaft seal.

Wirebrushed rust spots on body and subframe, and sprayed Kroil on nut and bolts prior to loosening.

leftrear.jpg

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by 4moFactor View Post
    sprayed Kroil on nut and bolts prior to loosening.

leftrear.jpg

There's a brand I haven't heard in a while. It's the real deal.
    PZ likes this.

PZ
    Redline
    That Gates Racing belt has a claim of a 100k mile life cycle. I put one on my 2004 GLX when I pulled that motor in 2013. I drove from WI to CA and back to WI with about 6k miles on it. I pulled that belt out! When the car was cold the belt would make this very loud shrieking noise. Like the engine was going to seize up at any moment. Something with that blue coating rubbing on cam the sprocket teeth. Put a Genuine VW/Audi belt in it's place.
    It makes a constant chirping sound, but not that loud. If it were my car I would have pulled it. Since he drives almost all highway miles, it did not bother him. I got it with some of the timing components from the same place I got my S4 trans/axles/clutch. 0 mile partout, car was smoking like crazy after a head rebuild. Ended up with a cracked cylinder and parted it out. It was cheaper than a new rubber belt, probably half price for everything I got with it.

I've dropped that corner light too. The plastic cracks where the spring clips in and it goes flying. I have an aftermarket clear on that side and OEM on the other.

Neutral
    There's a brand I haven't heard in a while. It's the real deal.
    Love that peppermint oil smell too. Thin version of Marvel Mystery Oil...

Neutral
    Replaced the Secondary Air Pump hose - the 100 second cold start noise is now gone. Yahoo! I broke the quick disconnect/connect though. I need to not buy cheap parts from Amazon.

Picture of old hose

IMG_20190615_172929180.jpg

Replaced the AC Belt - went from under the car so I didn't need to pull the bumper out into service mode.

John
    2004 VW Passat GL 1.8T
    119,000 miles
    axenstar likes this.

1st Gear
    Replaced rear Koni yellows last week. They were badly rusted after 90k miles (new bump stops etc). Lots of maintenance stuff this month. New water pump and belts, etc (last done 100k miles ago, 5/12). New brake pads (last done 150k miles). New boots on ds axle, inner boot torn.

Neutral
    Update: 6/16/2019 - since the quick disconnect broke I didn't want to leave it on. Returning it to seller via Amazon. I repaired the hose, taping it with aluminum duct tape (the expensive one used for heating ducts - works like a champ! I should have taken a picture of the repaired hose. Sorry.

IMG_20190615_172929180.jpg

John
    axenstar likes this.

PZ
    Redline
    Pulled #3 into the garage to diagnose coolant and oil leaks. Saw some oil at the driver's side front VC gasket, pulled the engine cover and found oil filled the plug well and dripped down all over the engine. It looks like he spilled at least 1/4 of the last liter he added. Oil all over the hoses on that side all the way to the oil cooler. I also found the passenger side cam cap leaking a little oil, but not much overall. I already picked up new cam caps as I remember the ones I installed last year were not as tight as I would like. I'll have to power wash the engine before replacing the timing belt and check again for oil leaks.

The coolant tank looked like it cracked at the seam, but considering how he spilled the oil, I suspect he did the same to the coolant. It held 10psi, but I will replace the tank anyway. The V6 eats tanks every 4-5 years anyway and this one has 5yr/95K on it. I noticed the CTS leaking a steady drip at 10psi, luckily I have a new sensor and seal in the garage already.

242K on the car, and I used Mobil1 5W30 Annual Protection last year. It's rated for 20K, but he drove 23K in the last year. He added a total of 5L and it was 1L low. I don't know how much he poured down the side of the engine in the last year. 1L per 4K is pretty good for a V6 with 242K. I will put a funnel in the hatch for the next year of adding oil. Timing belt looked ok, just some small surface cracking after 95K.

Tires looked nearly new after 23K. Considering his last 2 sets of cheap tires only lasted 27K and 28K each, it's good news. They are great in the snow and rain. General Altimax RT43, stock sized 195/65/15. There is a vibration, but I don't know yet if it's a balance issue, bent rim or an axle. I only had 2 hours to check out the car before storms hit and the Tiguan had to go back in the garage. Don't need any hail damage on that!
    benzivr6 likes this.

4th Gear
    From this:

To this:
    This one is Genuine Audi/VW. Should last longer than a couple of years

axenstar and benzivr6 like this.

From this:

To this:

Looking good.

You may need a new expansion tank soon tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by axenstar View Post
    Looking good.

You may need a new expansion tank soon tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was just thinking that when I was replacing the master cylinder reservoir.
    It's got some pretty good sized cracks on the sides towards the bottom. Won't be long before those start to leak.
    I've got about a dozen active orders with ECS Tuning right now, guess I'll just add another one.
    axenstar likes this.

PZ
    Redline
    Better add some silicone vacuum hose to that order. That cloth valve line looks like crap. After showing such pristine engine build pics, it's a shame you let the rest of the car go
    axenstar and AndreasPassat like this.

3rd Gear
    From this:

To this:
    When I replaced mine 2 years ago, OEM original that came with car, it literally crumbled in my hands. Yikes.

Replaced the stock grill (which I broke some of the plastic tabs on when I did the timing belt a couple of months ago...) with a cheap badgeless one I found online. Still waiting on the BC Racing coilovers that I ordered last week, which I was informed were back ordered and will be delayed an extra 3-4 weeks. 😞 That will give me time to install the aluminum skid plate that I got from ECS Tuning! I learned the hard way with my last lowered Passat how valuable a skid plate is, and I don’t really want to replace oil pans for the rest of the time I own the car. 😉
    AndreasPassat likes this.

4th Gear
    Better add some silicone vacuum hose to that order. That cloth valve line looks like crap. After showing such pristine engine build pics, it's a shame you let the rest of the car go
    You of all people should know what it's like. You were a mechanic at one time. When you're always wrenching on cars who's the one that suffers the most?
    I honestly can't use that excuse either, cause I haven't wrenched on anything.

Point well taken my friend. It's actually a bit embarrassing and even more so, depressing for me to see how much I've let my car go.
    There used to be a day when you could open up any door, trunk lid or hood and all of the jambs, hinge areas and all the places leaves and other junk collects, that used to spotless on my car.

Here's a shot of 1998 Mercury Mystique, 15 years after purchase. That's how my car used to look all the time. No joke.

axenstar likes this.

Changed the coolant flange today. The original lasted for 14 years and back in 2015 I replaced it when it started leaking. Got a cheap one off the eBay then and it lasted only 4 years before started leaking again. So this time got a aluminum one and hopefully for the next few years won't get any leaks. Not a fun job but had to do it as shops charge a big bucks to do it.

DSC_0039.jpgDSC_0041.jpg

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information