What did you do to your Passat today? - Page 281

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 281 of 281 FirstFirst ... 181231271272273274275276277278279280281
Results 8,401 to 8,426 of 8426
Like Tree1892Likes

Thread: What did you do to your Passat today?

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Quote Originally Posted by axenstar View Post
    Never seen such a low mileage in Audi that old.
    Welcome to the world of odometer tampering. CarFax reported more than 2 million cars in 2018 alone had their mileage tampered. Very easy to do with a cheap device from China that hooks to the car's control module and makes changing the mileage very easy. May be this one is genuine. Who knows. But there are lot of cheaters out there.
    axenstar and cchief22 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Tried to drop the tranny pan to replace the filter and change the ATF but it was a failed attempt again. Had all the tools but at the last second 3 tranny bolts got stripped. Chief had already sent me a set of tranny bolts but I could not get these 3 darn bolts out.
    So I thought I go ahead and at least change the ATF with fresh Valvoline MaxLife. But for some unknown reason to me I was not able to get a whole gallon of fluid in. It just kept pouring out. Had followed the procedure but don't know why I didn't accept more ATF.
    Anyway, this is huge disappointment to me and I know my tranny is under-filled. I don't expect the tranny will last. I let it go and when it dies let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    Tried to drop the tranny pan to replace the filter and change the ATF but it was a failed attempt again. Had all the tools but at the last second 3 tranny bolts got stripped. Chief had already sent me a set of tranny bolts but I could not get these 3 darn bolts out.
    So I thought I go ahead and at least change the ATF with fresh Valvoline MaxLife. But for some unknown reason to me I was not able to get a whole gallon of fluid in. It just kept pouring out. Had followed the procedure but don't know why I didn't accept more ATF.
    Anyway, this is huge disappointment to me and I know my tranny is under-filled. I don't expect the tranny will last. I let it go and when it dies let it be.
    Don’t give up on it. The bolt extractor set never let me down.
    And use a simple pump to fill it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Don’t give up on it. The bolt extractor set never let me down. And use a simple pump to fill it.
    The space is tight to work under the car. But after a while I may see if I can go back and try again. Thanks.
    axenstar and cchief22 like this.

You had the car running while adding the last of the fluid, right? Just checking. Also, can't shut the car off until you put the drain plug back in.
    Hirnbeiss likes this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    You had the car running while adding the last of the fluid, right? Just checking. Also, can't shut the car off until you put the drain plug back in.
    No the car was not running. I realized my mistake afterwards. Today, I go back and while running the car I try to pump more ATF in it.

This is the famous write up for Passat tranny fluid change.
    I would read it carefully.

https://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/

Emry and cchief22 like this.

Got new Bilstein rear shocks from FCP under lifetime warranty since the Sachs I bought 3 years ago were shot.

One of them expands slower than the other one after I compress it.

Does it mean anything?

Went back and filled another 2 qt of ATF in the tranny while engine was running. I test drove the car and the 2nd gear was not kicking like before. May be the fluid is at acceptable level now but can't tell for sure. Next few days will prove if the gears shift better than before. I have abandoned my plans to ever drop the pan and do the filter change. Given the age of the car I don't think it's worth of my time/effort and risk. So I'm offering a new filter and gasket that I didn't use at its half price ($20) in case anyone is interested. Thanks for the tip and hints.
    VAGguy likes this.

Went back and filled another 2 qt of ATF in the tranny while engine was running. I test drove the car and the 2nd gear was not kicking like before. May be the fluid is at acceptable level now but can't tell for sure. Next few days will prove if the gears shift better than before. I have abandoned my plans to ever drop the pan and do the filter change. Given the age of the car I don't think it's worth of my time/effort and risk. So I'm offering a new filter and gasket that I didn't use at its half price ($20) in case anyone is interested. Thanks for the tip and hints.
    Brand? Pics?

Brand? Pics?
    See it in the classified:

https://www.passatworld.com/forums/p...oem-%2420.html

Neutral
    Someone stole all 4 center wheel caps off my ride so I finally found the OEM VW replacements. I'm really happy with my purchase because they're a perfect match. These are my new caps https://www.vwpartsprime.com/oem/vol...601171xrw.html

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTech View Post
    Someone stole all 4 center wheel caps off my ride so I finally found the OEM VW replacements. I'm really happy with my purchase because they're a perfect match. These are my new caps https://www.vwpartsprime.com/oem/vol...601171xrw.html
    You paid $77.44 ($19.36 each) plus shipping? Couldn't you also pick up four of them for $1/each at a junkyard?

You paid $77.44 ($19.36 each) plus shipping? Couldn't you also pick up four of them for $1/each at a junkyard?
    That was my thought. I got my caps for free from the junk yard. They didn’t bother to charge.

since the Sachs I bought 3 years ago were shot.
    My shocks are factory original and after 18 years they are still good. What is your driving condition that shots the shocks so fast?

My shocks are factory original and after 18 years they are still good. What is your driving condition that shots the shocks so fast?
    I was surprised that Sachs went bad in only a few years with 20.000+ miles on them. It’s all flat in South Georgia, north Florida. And I am very gentle on speed bumps, pot holes (of any)

I am planning to return that one shock that expands slower than the other and ask for a replacement. I haven’t installed them yet.

RAH
    The old girl got brand new upper and lower control arms, bushings from 034 Motorsports, and a V3 coilover kit from KW. Pictures coming soon.
    cchief22, axenstar and VAGguy like this.

3rd Gear
    I looked at my car, after working on 3 doors over the last few weeks, and said "does any other car on the planet require a full time job as a DIY car mechanic?"

Quote Originally Posted by LineInTheWater View Post
    and said "does any other car on the planet require a full time job as a DIY car mechanic?"

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTech View Post
    $$:

Right!
    Or, fleabay! Are the caps that I bought for Wife Unit's wagon OE? Maybe not. DO they look right? Absolutely. And, they were $16.49 (with free shipping) for FOUR!

Ordered parts for mine. RF outer CV boot split (and, I didn't catch it, and it's been a lot of wet here) - so, CV joint goes knockknock on tight right turns.
    Ordered two outer boots (LF is cracked), one outer CV joint, and a pair of front brake hoses (might as well replace the cracked things, while I'm pulling things apart again....)

Still need to do the cam plugs on the wife's 30v. And, I need to do a chain tensioner gasket, and a rear coolant flange, on my 1.8T. All of those parts are here.....
    Last edited by cuppie; 05-10-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    benzivr6 likes this.

2nd Gear
    Swapped the rear passenger door with a used one since the original had a few big dings. Took about 15 minutes. Then I tried to pull the window out of the original door since the tint was darker than the new door's window. Broke the window somehow trying to pop out the little plastic plug that holds the window to the regulator. Then spent an hour or more cleaning up the broken glass, trying to salvage the regulator panel and door lock mechanism from the old door. I guess I should have quit while I was ahead.....
    axenstar and AndreasPassat like this.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
    Then I tried to pull the window out of the original door. Broke the window somehow trying to pop out the little plastic plug that holds the window to the regulator. Then spent an hour or more cleaning up the broken glass, trying to salvage the regulator panel and door lock mechanism from the old door. I guess I should have quit while I was ahead.....
    Been there

Went to the junk yard. Found some gems. Neuspeed coils, Bilstein Shock absorbers (which I assume are shot), a brand new Michelin full size wheel and that crossbar, all from a 98 AEB sedan.

4th Gear
    Slap some new Bilstein's in there and you've got a very nice strut assembly. That spare looks brand new!
    axenstar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    Slap some new Bilstein's in there and you've got a very nice strut assembly. That spare looks brand new!
    It has never been used. There still is the factory paint mark on the tire.

That bar was bolted to the body by one of the each 3 set of strut bolts. Is that the correct installation?

Also, do I sacrifice smooth ride for lowering the car or can I still get factory ride? I am very foreign to this lowering world, although I believe my black 2003 sedan would look super sexy lowered.

4th Gear
    It has never been used. There still is the factory paint mark on the tire.

That bar was bolted to the body by one of the each 3 set of strut bolts. Is that the correct installation?

Also, do I sacrifice smooth ride for lowering the car or can I still get factory ride? I am very foreign to this lowering world, although I believe my black 2003 sedan would look super sexy lowered.

Gotta admit, I don't know anything about the bar.

Lowering your car to a certain point will not sacrifice ride quality / smooth ride. As long as you don't go to low. At some point in time though, the lower you go the tighter/stiffer the suspension needs to be to keep the tires from tearing off your fenders and the upper control arms from going through the tops of the strut towers.

I haven't run all different kinds of set-ups being lowered, but I would say if your on stock wheels/tires you can safely go down about 1-1/2 inches and still retain the factory ride quality.

I personally ran a set of Bilstein PSS9's on my 2004 GLX sedan with it lowered about 2" (rear) to 2-1/2" (front). With that set-up I was running P235's up front and P265's in the back on 19" wheels. Had the coil-overs set at #6 on the setting dial.
    My 2004 GLX was black (as all of my Passat's are black) and yes, it was sexy as hell.

29. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information