What did you do to your Passat today? - Page 280

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 280 of 280 FirstFirst ... 180230270271272273274275276277278279280
Results 8,371 to 8,392 of 8392
Like Tree1866Likes

Thread: What did you do to your Passat today?

Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    This a deliberate and calculated strategy deployed by German auto makers. The repair and maintenance must be so complicated and difficult that almost no average Joe can do it. This generates huge revenue for the stealerships. Thus make the design in a way that requires lots of maintenance but at the same time no one will be able to do it so dealers will be happy.
    Absolutely true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Emry likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Yesterday, wife's car:
    Bath; oil change, new belly pan (got broken when she broke a front spring); some welding repairs to the exhaust; alignment.

Yesterday, mine:
    New (used) wiper relay (mine had decided to occasionally not park correctly). Also install new (matte-aluminum accent) Euro-style headlight switch (to replace my all-black switch.) Find that said switch is, ah, crooked. :
    Reinstall black switch. Contacted eBay seller, waiting for reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortelious View Post
    Changed the rear brake pads. Thought I was being punked by what the manual said I should do with the parking brake. These Germans must sit back and laugh their asses off by what they make us do to perform maintenance on these vehicles.
    Parking-brake calipers are neither 'new', nor 'uniquitely German' - literally every carmaker, from every country, uses them.
    Where they get weird (and highly variable, in terms of service techniques) is newer electric parking brake calipers.
    benzivr6 likes this.

I bought a Continental timing belt kit for the Passat and noticed it was "Designed in Germany, Built in Canada." Talk about globalization...
    benzivr6 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    installed in Hungary ! in technically already has 10k miles on it !

Quote Originally Posted by cchief22 View Post
    installed in Hungary ! in technically already has 10k miles on it !
    The irony of it all is Continental has seven different factories in Hungary alone.

What did you do to your Passat today?

I saw that this Passat part was made in West Germany!

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Quote Originally Posted by axenstar View Post
    I saw that this Passat part was made in West Germany!
    Most probably the mold belongs to 80s and they still use it till today. Changing the mold to remove "West" is not cost justifiable since no one really notice it
    Back in 2001 I was in the market for a new car (my old Honda accord was taken by the Houston flood and got not a single penny from FEMA ).
    I was disillusioned about the cheap plastic used in the interior of the Japanese cars, so I took the chance and wanted to try my chances with a German car.
    Did the research and found that Jetta was assembled in Mexico and had lots of quality issues but Passat was made and assembled in Germany. Thus the choice was clear.
    Got the Passat and the rest is history
    axenstar likes this.

Yesterday:
    Replace downpipe on mine (because broken flex joint - again.)

Now I know why people say "take it out from the top, with the cat." Out wasn't too bad (left the cat in.) In.... Opposite of fun to bolt the pipe to the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by cuppie View Post
    Yesterday:
    Replace downpipe on mine (because broken flex joint - again.)

Now I know why people say "take it out from the top, with the cat." Out wasn't too bad (left the cat in.) In.... Opposite of fun to bolt the pipe to the cat.
    Did you remove the cat+downpipe from out of the engine bay? Is it easier?

PZ
    Redline
    Drove it for the 1st time in 2 weeks. My son mentioned the CEL was on, so I scanned it and it had a CTS code. Shows 143c, a bit on the warm side. The CTS was new sometime after the swap. I also had to fuel up as he forgot to mention the gas light was on.
    benzivr6 likes this.

Neutral
    I have a semi-big project. Last fall, I replaced window regulator. Surprised I could do install myself and window work correctly. Only, 1 problem - about week later the handle couldn't open door from inside. So all winter I had to lower window and reach out and open car from outside. Project for this month is to open that door up again and try to secure the door handle cable better. Anyone else go thru this?

2nd Gear
    Replaced my Coolant flange, CTS & did a SAI partial delete, Still gotta take off the bumper to remove the actual pump
    axenstar likes this.

4th Gear
    Filled up my power steering reservoir. To my horror I could hear the power steering pump groaning on my way home from work. Blasted hose is leaking at the cooling pipe loop, AGAIN!

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    Back in 2001 I was in the market for a new car (my old Honda accord was taken by the Houston flood and got not a single penny from FEMA ).
    I was in Houston (Cypress, actually) for that. Tropical Storm https://youtu.be/C9GlC9GyF4Y

I nearly got washed away in my van when I went for a drive after the rain stopped only to be surprised on my return by a creek that kept on rising.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    Filled up my power steering reservoir. To my horror I could hear the power steering pump groaning on my way home from work. Blasted hose is leaking at the cooling pipe loop, AGAIN!
    Time for a manual steering swap.

PZ
    Redline
    I parked the Passat and the Golf at the hospital parking garage 2 blocks away. Seems a lot of other people had the same idea as it was packed. Tiguan is in the garage along with the immobile donor car (for the last 4 years). Massive hail predicted tonight, up to softball sized. Taking no chances after we had hail damage in March and baseball sized hail hit north-east of here early this month. Nothing like spring time in Texas.
    axenstar and benzivr6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by axenstar View Post
    Did you remove the cat+downpipe from out of the engine bay? Is it easier?
    Like my post said: left the cat installed. DP out was easy, and knocking the (welded) nuts off of the cat wasn't too bad.
    Bolting the DP to the cat, with the cat still installed, sucked.

2nd Gear
    Finally finish installing my gauges & EBC in the wagon, 2 war scars meaning I'm actually getting better at dodging the sharp metal framing under the dash
    IMG_9584 by Kevin Romain, on Flickr

IMG_9583 by Kevin Romain, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by benzivr6 View Post
    Finally finish installing my gauges & EBC in the wagon, 2 war scars meaning I'm actually getting better at dodging the sharp metal framing under the dash
    IMG_9584 by Kevin Romain, on Flickr

IMG_9583 by Kevin Romain, on Flickr
    For those readings, I have been looking into an arduino hack for the cluster but haven't had time to pull the trigger. Look up FISblocks on github.
    benzivr6 likes this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

Ray
    2nd Gear
    Replaced my valve cover gasket, looks clean to me...

Did passenger side O2 sensor as well

VAGguy and PZ like this.

Neutral
    I cursed my passat today. Should have listened to the parts guy when he said good luck to me because passats are money pits for suckers.

4th Gear
    Took the wife's 2002 GLX on spur of the moment trip over to Burbank CA.
    Stopped on the way back to Phoenix and snapped this.

axenstar likes this.

25. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information