Euro switch on W8??

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lefties have rights, too!

Euro switch on W8??

This thread doesn't seen to answer everything. This one is rather confusing.

Since the W8 already comes with bi-zenon headlights is there an advantage to installing a euroswitch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    The euroswitch lets you turn on the parking lights without the headlights. That function is not on the W8 switch.

Are there any negative consequences in removing the 173 relay to inactivate the DRLs?

TIA

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    Gee it's like you're a n00b all over again . . .

6th Gear
    Ahahaaa...I love n00b Q's from longtime members. I do that myself from time to time.

Tom, I'd also recommend the NB sunglass holder. No consequences to your sunglasses, unless you count sleek and stylish protection from scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by crew217
    Gee it's like you're a n00b all over again . . .
    You got that one right. Maybe the moderators should set my post number back to zero.

Between the V8, 4mo, and navi I'm entering new territory.

2nd Gear
    Tom,

The euro switch is great. can use fogs and city lights without the xenon's, just the fogs, just the city lights, etc.. I don't know why I am telling you, since you already know this.

You still need to pull the relay/or tape the conector to disable daytime running lights. Being the xenons are such a PITA to change (from what I understand), it's a good idea to disable them and save them for when they are needed...night and rain. I know, you have 4000+ posts and I should shut up, lol.

One thing I'm not sure of though...when the 173 relay was in, the lights would 'adjust' down then up when I started the car. Now w/out the relay, when I turn on the headlights (xenons), they don't adjust. Is this a good or bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ashman78
    Ahahaaa...I love n00b Q's from longtime members. I do that myself from time to time.

Tom, I'd also recommend the NB sunglass holder. No consequences to your sunglasses, unless you count sleek and stylish protection from scratching.
    I have been debating to myself what would be my first mod in the new car. Since I already have the NB sunglass holder in my current B5 this is near the top of the list. I'll probably keep this car stock mechanically for a while since it still has 33 months and 44K miles on VW's warranty.

5th Gear
    keep stock... install euroswitch, sunglass holder, and replace the fogs to some piaa yellows.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Parish

Between the V8, .
    Couple letters off.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by W8inde
    One thing I'm not sure of though...when the 173 relay was in, the lights would 'adjust' down then up when I started the car. Now w/out the relay, when I turn on the headlights (xenons), they don't adjust. Is this a good or bad thing?
    I've noticed this also. Does Relay 173 have something to do with the auto-adjusters??

Overdrive
    Can you just tap over pin 56 and B to disable the DRls and leave the realy(173) in.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplezr2
    Can you just tap over pin 56 and B to disable the DRls and leave the realy(173) in.
    I'm going to try that this weekend and see what happens.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Parish
    I have been debating to myself what would be my first mod in the new car. Since I already have the NB sunglass holder in my current B5 this is near the top of the list. I'll probably keep this car stock mechanically for a while since it still has 33 months and 44K miles on VW's warranty.
    Tom,
    After you've gone through a couple of tanks of gas you may be inclined to swap the engine for a 1.8T. That mod would make your err, W8, the most unique W8 in the country, if not the planet. But the accessory content would be out of this world for a 1.8T. Anyway, congradulations on a pimp ride. Photos?
    Manx

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplezr2
    I know that taping over (or bending down) 56D only will disable the DRL's when the switch is in the parking (city light) position. So this allows you to run the fogs with no headlights. Trying to remember which pin to disable the DRL's entirely -- I think it's B. All this with leaving relay 173 in.

On another note, Tom, an easy, non-invasive mod is the mirrors. Replace the covers with chrome covers, or the glass with the blue-tinted aspherical glass. Shameless advertising, I have both of these things for sale off of my ex-W8.

https://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=212572

Apologies for the thread drift!

Neutral
    I chose to remove the connector wire (rather than tape or fold the pin on the Euroswitch) for *just* the parking lights (56D). On the W8, disconnecting the B pin also disables the auto-levelling (note the gauge of the wire running into the B pin), which I didn't really want, especially with my Variant. Removing relay 173 is essentially the same as defeating both the B and 56D pins. I wonder if you could simply tap the B-pin wire into the trigger wire for the headlights, so that the auto-levelling was performed when you turned the switch all the way on?

I typically prefer having *some* lights on, so running the parking lights with no DRLs is a happy compromise for me (i.e. just defeating the 56D pin). I just wish the parking lights didn't also turn on the interior instrumentation lights (i.e. it was a "true" parking light).

Neutral
    Oh yeah... one other thing... with the Euroswitch in the W8, you end up losing the Xenon high beam-only function of the second pull, which is useful on the rare occasion when you want to aim the Xenon high beams without interference from the halogens.

On the Euroswitch, the second pull is for the rear fog.

You could probably swap a wire around and change that easily enough, but the rear fog is a nice option to have as well.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzski
    Oh yeah... one other thing... with the Euroswitch in the W8, you end up losing the Xenon high beam-only function of the second pull, which is useful on the rare occasion when you want to aim the Xenon high beams without interference from the halogens.
    Are you sure? I've traded my W8, but I'm fairly sure the second pull still did that. I had the rear fog hooked up as well. I had only the 56D pin disabled.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by larrs
    Are you sure? I've traded my W8, but I'm fairly sure the second pull still did that. I had the rear fog hooked up as well. I had only the 56D pin disabled.
    Well... I was sure... but I'll check when I get home tonight. I haven't enabled the rear fog - all I've done is defeat the 56D pin. I'll get around to the rear fog at some point... anybody have a how-to reference handy?

5th Gear
    I really don't know where you people came up with the bending & taping the whatever pin shit from. Simply pull Relay # 173 and install the Euro switch. You lose NOTHING other than the DRL's. Leveling works, BRAKE light still works..

And the second pull for rear fogs does disable the halogen high beams - just like the stock headlight switch is labeled to deactivate them - and lets the bi-xenon only do the high beam chores. Thats cool when idiots with fake HID's pass you. You can hit them with the highs without it looking like you have the highs on.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by VWGUY4EVER
    I really don't know where you people came up with the bending & taping the whatever pin shit from. Simply pull Relay # 173 and install the Euro switch. You lose NOTHING other than the DRL's. Leveling works, BRAKE light still works..

And the second pull for rear fogs does disable the halogen high beams - just like the stock headlight switch is labeled to deactivate them - and lets the bi-xenon only do the high beam chores. Thats cool when idiots with fake HID's pass you. You can hit them with the highs without it looking like you have the highs on.
    I pulled relay 173, and have the euro switch, but my levelling doesn't work. When I put relay 173 back in, it works. No bending or taping of pins. Any hints or suggestions? Other than the levelling not function w/out relay 173, the euro switch is great.

5th Gear
    How do you know your leveling isn't working ?

1st Gear
    I wanted to keep the DRL's but have the option to run with just city lights or city lights & fogs.

2nd Gear
    How do you know your leveling isn't working ?
    I am assuming it's not working. I have someone turn on the headlights when car is parked and running. They don't go down and up as they do with the relay in and DRLs enabled.

Do they adjust (level) when the car is started? Or when the headlights are turned on?
    I think I may have answered my question, lol. Being that the DRLs came on when the car started, I was assuming levelling took place when the headlights were activated. Perhaps levelling occurs when the car is started.

Going to check it out right now.

2nd Gear
    They work! Headlights self adjust when car is started, not when headlights are activated. I'm a genius

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by W8inde
    They work! Headlights self adjust when car is started, not when headlights are activated. I'm a genius
    You and me both, man! DOH!

1st Gear

Did what he said...pulled the relay and installed the Euroswitch (in all of about 3 minutes). All works as it should!

2nd Gear
    Everything is right with the world,

2nd Gear
    Thank God.
    You people were making a lot of work out of nothing. I don't have the euroswitch but I was reading this thinking "why would anyone go thru all this trouble for this?"

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by W8 a minute
    Thank God.
    You people were making a lot of work out of nothing. I don't have the euroswitch but I was reading this thinking "why would anyone go thru all this trouble for this?"
    Because it's not really any trouble, and because there are additional options and things to consider with the stock W8 (including the auto-levelling and bi-xenons) that lesser ( ) Passats are not concerned with. People wanna know what they're getting into!

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information