How to Lift My Passat rather than Lower it.

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

How to Lift My Passat rather than Lower it.

I know that this may seem odd to most of you who have lowered your VW's. I want to lift my B5.5 Wagon about 1.5". Mainly due to rural driving and the occasional frontal curb-shot by my wife.

What should I consider to lift the car? Will it negatively affect anything? Finally, how do I do it? Are there spacers? Do I have taller springs made?

Give me some constructive feedback here.

Thanks in advance, Keith

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PassatWorld Staff
    Somebody here has actually done this, and posted pics. Don't recall who, someone will.

In fact, someone in the General Discussion will, I'm sure.

When you figure out what you need, then bring it back to the garage for help in DIY install.
    Last edited by Rusty; 03-04-2005 at 08:00 PM.

5th Gear
    1BB suspension is the name . . . . totally forgot who did it . . . why does poland come to mind?

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PassatWorld Staff
    Wow, that's cool - the 1BB suspension, I hadn't a clue. Learn something new every dang day. I love this place...

3rd Gear
    found a thread that linked to that thread...

https://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=153497

and another similar thread
    https://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95396

i wish i could find that thread with the green wagon playing in the mud...

a.s.

2nd Gear
    if you lift it you should turn it into a "Country Passat" brush gaurds and everything......... that would be sooo sick.........
    oh for those who may not know this is a country golf

man i wish these were released in the US

4th Gear
    Eibach(springs) and Bilstein(absorbers).

suspension kit = 35 mm
    wheels 205/70-15 = 20 mm

all over = 55mm higher

4th Gear
    You can buy VW OE shock/spring kit it is called "bad roads package" or so. It will rise for 20mm clereance. From standard 150mm to 170mm

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenad
    You can buy VW OE shock/spring kit it is called "bad roads package" or so. It will rise for 20mm clereance. From standard 150mm to 170mm
    yep that's the 1BB

2nd Gear
    Thats' one thing I like about my mate's Citroen Xantia, which has Hydrogas suspension. You can alter it so it raises higher or lower at the turn of a lever. You also get a nice magic carpet ride, but they its a real pain to maintain. Its about £40 a corner to keep them re-gassed every so often.

Neutral
    Thanks for all the information here. I will look into all of the options you guys have given me. I will keep you all posted as to my findings and what I end-up doing.

Thanks, Keith

4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
    Isn't lifting it going to produce camber issues in the recerse of the normal experienced with a drop? Tires tipped out at the top?

Just thinking out loud ..

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesstzn
    Isn't lifting it going to produce camber issues in the recerse of the normal experienced with a drop? Tires tipped out at the top?

Just thinking out loud ..
    camber is overrated . . . . toe is what you have to worry about more when considering the life of your tires. I dropped my car 2.3" and am at -1.5 of camber in the front . . . . stock it already comes with a little bit of negative camber. Also 1BB is an OEM vw suspension. I doubt they would offer it as an option if it were to cause known camber issues.

Dave

3rd Gear
    Wow, I may be moving to CO and I love snow, if all that happened I was going to post this exact topic! I never thought someone else out there had already done it. I probably am not moving there now, but I'm glad to see there are other options.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncroq5
    Wow, I may be moving to CO and I love snow, if all that happened I was going to post this exact topic! I never thought someone else out there had already done it. I probably am not moving there now, but I'm glad to see there are other options.
    lol you won't need to raise the suspension, if anything just go back to stock. . . . that will give you PLENTY of clearance. If anything, buy snowtires (just ask stealth )

3rd Gear
    I am currently stock and a long time user of nokian snow tires. This was my first winter with the B5 and it hung up quite easily, even in WI. Snow is a major reason to want more ride height, increased height and some Hakka Q's on a 4mo would be virtually unstoppable. Sure you can make it through with stock set up, by why spend half your day off in the back country shoveling out your ride if you don't have to. Or, why buy a subie if you don't have to?! Maybe the consistancy of our snow is the culprit, but I don't see adding lift to the B5 as something to frown on. In the mean time I'm still looking forward to the imporeved handling from the sofsport/koni set up I've got coming from S_Klass.
    Last edited by Syncroq5; 03-05-2005 at 08:23 AM.

I'm not concidering the life I am thinking about the ability to turn in snow. We used to set the camber on the right front tire on an oval track car to aid in the turning but turning right was a problem. I have noticed the increase in push in the snow in mine since the drop *but* no tire wear. Increased positive camber on all 4 corners *might* be an issue in the snow.

Nuff said .. I'm not getting into another useless pissing match with you.

5th Gear
    I'm not concidering the life I am thinking about the ability to turn in snow. We used to set the camber on the right front tire on an oval track car to aid in the turning but turning right was a problem. I have noticed the increase in push in the snow in mine since the drop *but* no tire wear. Increased positive camber on all 4 corners *might* be an issue in the snow.

Nuff said .. I'm not getting into another useless pissing match with you.
    With the increased height i'd be more worry about body roll. Seeing as how the rear beam is fixed how do you expect positive camber? As for the front, I'm not quite sure if there would be an increase in camber. The camber for mine didn't increase appreciably when I lowered it. If you have a problem with me, take it to PM. Otherwise I'm not aware of these so-called "pissing matches" you're referring to. Perhaps its all in your head

5th Gear
    These "pissing matches" (never seen one in person lol) allow others to see potential flaws in mods and upgrades. Many times in these 'arguments,' valid points are raised, and we find out whether the point raised is legit or not. It's all in fun and slightly educational, as long as people don't BS and try to make themselves 'look good' on these posts.

So any problems, take it to PM (PRIVATE Messages). Just leave it out of the threads.

Is Wayne Brady gon' have to choke a b!tch?

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncroq5
    I am currently stock and a long time user of nokian snow tires. This was my first winter with the B5 and it hung up quite easily, even in WI. Snow is a major reason to want more ride height, increased height and some Hakka Q's on a 4mo would be virtually unstoppable. Sure you can make it through with stock set up, by why spend half your day off in the back country shoveling out your ride if you don't have to. Or, why buy a subie if you don't have to?! Maybe the consistancy of our snow is the culprit, but I don't see adding lift to the B5 as something to frown on. In the mean time I'm still looking forward to the imporeved handling from the sofsport/koni set up I've got coming from S_Klass.
    This one's for you SyncrqB5 . . . . got snow?
    (I think it might be a passat too, albeit B4)

3rd Gear
    Crew I like the way you altered my screen name SyncroB5, but my name is designed to give props to me old Quantum Syncro GL5, god I miss that ride, esp. if I move to CO.

Anyway, great pic, I'm not sure if the dash supports the B4 theory, but the Fubu and rails sure do. Just for fun lets pretend its in Canada and they're diggin out a B4 G60 Syncro with carbide studded snow tires to take it our for a day of ice racing before packing it up with all the snow toys to hit some back country. And of course little do they know, they will come across a glorious cabin filled with a full supply of food and beverage and a snowbound group of Swedish women!!

Quote Originally Posted by crew217
    As for the front, I'm not quite sure if there would be an increase in camber. The camber for mine didn't increase appreciably when I lowered it. If
    Mine didn't increase appreciably either .. what I said was what little increase there was created a *push* in the snow .. and all I commented on is if you raise it over stock you *might* go the other way on camber ( Which I see happen when I jack up the car in the front ) this tipping the tire off of flat .. also causing a push .. This push may not be feelable in pavement but will be on snow and I think thats the idea of the poster .. to drive in snow ..

4Mo has camber adj in the rear .. so it can apply there too.

5th Gear
    Mine didn't increase appreciably either .. what I said was what little increase there was created a *push* in the snow .. and all I commented on is if you raise it over stock you *might* go the other way on camber ( Which I see happen when I jack up the car in the front ) this tipping the tire off of flat .. also causing a push .. This push may not be feelable in pavement but will be on snow and I think thats the idea of the poster .. to drive in snow ..

4Mo has camber adj in the rear .. so it can apply there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdifamily
    I want to lift my B5.5 Wagon about 1.5". Mainly due to rural driving and the occasional frontal curb-shot by my wife.
    No mention of snow.

Also, my point is that seeing that this is a factory OEM suspension, I doubt camber would be pushed beyond the safe limits of the car. The factory 1BB suspension also probably isn't an aggresive raise as mentioned by nenad. 20mm=.78inches. When you're jacking up your car, I'm sure you go far beyond 20mm before seeing any noticable change in camber.

2nd Gear
    There are 1BB alignment specs in the Information forum. https://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...ight=alignment

Quote Originally Posted by crew217
    No mention of snow.

Also, my point is that seeing that this is a factory OEM suspension, I doubt camber would be pushed beyond the safe limits of the car. The factory 1BB suspension also probably isn't an aggresive raise as mentioned by nenad. 20mm=.78inches. When you're jacking up your car, I'm sure you go far beyond 20mm before seeing any noticable change in camber.

He is also talking 1.5 " up .. so he is not talking the 1BB and yes I see he didn't say snow.. I mentioned snow because the camber did affect handling
    and seeing he lives in Nebraska he * could * run into snow so I was pointing it out to him to keep in the back of his mind .

1st Gear
    I wonder what the feasibility of installing an airbag kit would be...?

Or, 'borrowing' the ride height adjust system from an Audi allroad?

3rd Gear
    Anything can be done with $$$$

2nd Gear
    If you want a REALLY high VW, you could always just buy a Ford 500.

Neutral
    I continue to look into raising my Passat. I am working with a local suspension shop to possibly have springs made that will be 1.5" taller. I may also just go ahead and replace the shocks if I follow through with this mod. I will also look into tire sizing to see what height I can gain there. I am going to be putting 17" wheels on the car so I will see what my options are here without sacrificing too much room in the wells.

I appreciate all the feedback I have received from everyone. I am still open to more suggestions.

I will keep you all posted as to what I do?

Warm regards, Keith

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by tdifamily
    I continue to look into raising my Passat. I am working with a local suspension shop to possibly have springs made that will be 1.5" taller. I may also just go ahead and replace the shocks if I follow through with this mod. I will also look into tire sizing to see what height I can gain there. I am going to be putting 17" wheels on the car so I will see what my options are here without sacrificing too much room in the wells.

I appreciate all the feedback I have received from everyone. I am still open to more suggestions.

I will keep you all posted as to what I do?

Warm regards, Keith
    try hyperco for your springs since they're very high quality and offer them in many different sizes / spring rates. I'd pair them with Bilstein HD shocks.

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information