where is the PCV located on 1.8t aeb engine!!??

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jyyrii

Thread: where is the PCV located on 1.8t aeb engine!!??

Neutral

where is the PCV located on 1.8t aeb engine!!??

hi all!

i have a 1.8t aeb engine 1998 model

please can you advise me as to where can i locate the PCV valve? as having sludge problems.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Take off the intake snorkel that leads to the airbox. Then look down at the intake hose that goes to the turbo. it's that round valve looking thingy.

Josh

Overdrive

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    its the first one listed in the info forum index

1st Gear
    Does the PCV need to be changed or can it be cleaned out with and reused? How can you tell if it needs to be replaced?

1st Gear
    i think that round pcv valve is used on every 4 cylinder vw motor. It looks exactly like the same pcv valve I had to replace on my old '96 2.0L jetta.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by teddert2
    Does the PCV need to be changed or can it be cleaned out with and reused? How can you tell if it needs to be replaced?
    I cleaned and reused mine,should be fine. I would have replaced it since it is cheap,but the dealer was out.

3rd Gear
    so what does the PCV do? I can see mine- but i'm curiuos exactly what it does-and if cleaning it would provide a 'better' performance.

E

4th Gear
    PCV = Positive crankcase ventilation

Allows gasses trapped in the crankcase to expand or contract without blowing out the seals and gaskets in the engine (i.e. valve cover gasket, piston rings, camshaft seals, cylinder head gasket, etc). Typically these gasses are full of oil/fuel vapors and are routed from the PCV valve into the intake to be burned in combustion. That's why people complain that they have an oil residue in their intake system (DV, IC, hoses, etc).

3rd Gear
    notapreppie,

cool thanks for the info-- luckily i don't see those signs/symptoms..

e

Neutral
    Is the PCV valve ("the black puck") supposed to be able to keep some kind of pressure??? I pulled the PCV out and I could blow through it without any resistance in both directions (after emtying it from a spoonful of oil). Is it normal that there is no restriction of flow???

I'm confused because it will always allow extra air into the system past the MAF, so I'd imagine that at least there should be a pressure requirement.

4th Gear
    Spirare, I have a different part # for the PCV valve compared to the one in your write up (034-129-101B).

The one in my car is 06A-129-101A.

And from my local stealer (this time) your part # is $25, the one in my car is $60 something.

P.S. I wanted to add this to your write-up but since it is now in Info, I will need help from a mod to put it there.

Edit: after reading the response below: mine is AWM

Neutral
    I got the same 034.... in my APU -99
    Jim_vr6 likes this.

4th Gear
    ^bump^

Spirare? Anyone?

5th Gear
    The AWM part is more $$. No need to replace, just flush it out and reuse it. It's not really a valve, it's more of a mini catch-can.

In addition, there is a "real" PCV valve located under the manifold. Look for part #6 in these pictures...

http://www.peteandmichelle.lunarpage...-1998-2000.pdf
    http://www.peteandmichelle.lunarpage...-2001-2002.pdf
    http://www.peteandmichelle.lunarpage...-2003-2005.pdf

The "real" PCV valve does most of the work when the manifold is under vacuum. The "puck" near the airbox really only vents crankcase air when the manifold is under pressure.

2nd Gear
    I own a an AEB (1998) and have removed and "flushed" out the "black puck". Is there any mechanical action inside this part? When you look inside it there seems to be a metal spring...why would there be a spring in it if it is just supposed to collect goo?

Loren

5th Gear
    The spring acts as a "grating" to keep the larger more-solid crud from re-entering the intake. It's the simplest way to put a few bars of metal across the puck's tiny internal opening.

2nd Gear
    Was worried that a mechanism inside was faulty - and that a flush was not enough help. Good to go!

Thanks!

1st Gear
    i broke mine changin a hose. it ran ok for a few days till my new one arrived. ordered 1 from 1stvwparts and they sent me 2 for the price of 1

Neutral
    The car will run perfectly without this valve, it's circulating the air/gas only for environmental reasons. When I was hunting for a leak in I disconnected the valve and plugged the hole in the intake, just to rule out a leak there. No probs. But I guess no performance to gain...even if the gasses circulated are hot and might in theory reduce the performance of the turbo...

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by pete1
    The AWM part is more $$. No need to replace, just flush it out and reuse it. It's not really a valve, it's more of a mini catch-can.

In addition, there is a "real" PCV valve located under the manifold. Look for part #6 in these pictures...

The "real" PCV valve does most of the work when the manifold is under vacuum. The "puck" near the airbox really only vents crankcase air when the manifold is under pressure.
    Pete, what about #25 in the 2003-2005 file?

5th Gear
    #25 in the 2003-2005 file looks like a standard-issue check valve (like the other three or four check valves in the vac lines around this area). You probably only have #25 if you also have #6A instead of #6. I'd bet it's not a us-spec option.

1st Gear
    what milage are u suppose to change the pvc?

3rd Gear
    I can't believe it took so long for someone to mention the small valve under the manifold, thanks pete1. Like pete1 wrote, the puck itself is for keeping the turbo from sucking a buncg of oil out of the pan, or conversely, to vent air when under boost. I changed it at ~125,000 , don't know the recommended interval but your owner's manual/Hayne's/Bentley should.

4th Gear
    Here is my and my car's contribution to this thread:

There was almost a teaspoon-ful of that crud which I got out of that puck in dry form. Then I used Throttle Body cleaner spray into the valve, closed the both ends and shook it a few times to get more dissolved and smaller particles out. I repeated it quite a few times and finally air dried it first with a compressed can and then naturally while I was cleaning the Throttle Body itself. Then installed it back in.

I aspire to awesomeness

WOuld the 'REAL' PCV valve please stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by pete1 View Post

I have held back on replacing valve cover gasket until I look into all this. So I am researching what parts I can clean and which I am better off just replacing for my 99 AEB 1,8T. By the way the links above are dead. Would be really helpful if anyone knew where I could find a parts list in one place.

Anyhow as I research and put together a list of individual parts which is the 'REAL' PCV valve. I can't figure it out and there's no such thing in ETKA

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    ETKA calls it a Bleeder Valve (part #6).

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Positive...ilation-System

With our turbocharged engines the system is a little more involved because the Intake Manifold isn't always under vacuum. Sometimes the IM is under pressure (boost).

The bleeder valve is located in the plumbing under the IM. On the older 1.8t engines, a lot of the parts in that plumbing like to break when you go to disassemble them.

https://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196909

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...reather_Hoses/

I aspire to awesomeness
    Thanks Steve in Chicago,

Just finding this out across a couple of threads and ECS listings including the ones you mention. I also couldn't at first 'see' the bleeder valve which I could 'see' in ETKA but see it now covered mostly by hoses and clamps. I was looking for something more substantial.

Do you know however why in our turbo engines (1999 AEB), the vent or breather tube (#10) looks different and rises up in an S shape to connect with a suction pump (058133753B now D) and is the suction pump what you guys call a vacuum booster?

* EDIT just found that the difference in shape of breather or vent tube (#10) is the one depicted in ETKA is for manual transmission and the other one which is not depicted, is for automatic transmission
    Last edited by dav1129; 03-20-2011 at 10:49 PM.

31. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information