The 14yr old gets a refresh. 2014 makeover

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The 14yr old gets a refresh. 2014 makeover

2nd Gear

The 14yr old gets a refresh. 2014 makeover

Hey all.

Been a rough couple past years. Had my 4th child, lost my job, scraped by to pay bills for 8 months while I searched for a job, blah blah blah. Raised the car because it was making my boys car sick (lol). Stupidly sold off my side skirts. One of my winglets got taken out by a beaver that wanted a closer look at my front tire.

Car looked like this last summer.

I shaved and added a lip to my Zender trunk spoiler. DTM muffler, and spray bombed wheels.

So this year I finally was able to sell my Mercedes wheels and sold em for $400 to a cool local dude. So between that and a sh*t-load of credit card points I COMPLETELY forgot about, I was able to scrounge an $800ish budget for this year.

So, with what I had, I got the following items...

First things first was to replace my winglets. So I hit up gerwazy to see if he had any left, and I got his last set! Awesome guy and awesome to do business with. (thanks dude)

Second was wheels. I had been going back and forth for months on the 'look' for this year. Was trying to decide on either a square set of all black 18x9 et30 10-spokes, or a square set of 18x9.5 et40 CCW reps. In the end, the reps won out because I knew the fitment would have been perfect. So I snaked these...

Tires will be 225/40-18 GT Radial Champiro UHP1's. (still on order) Also picked up a set of hidden valve stems. Had them on the wheels on my old MKIII. So stealth. Much wow.

And lastly, Votex rep fiberglass sideskirts. I believe these are the same as the ones I previously had; Fiberglass slip-ons. I would HIGHLY recommend buying from this guy. He sells on Ebay:
    items in b5 store on eBay!
    But you are better getting a-hold of Paul direct on email here: [email protected] . Shipping took less than two weeks from Poland, and they arrived well packaged and in-tact. Cost was $142 shipped. Cannot beat that. I'm happy.

Thats about it. Im looking to come up with something like this once I can get the parts painted......

I'll post more as I do things...but it probably wont be until it gets closer to spring.
    benzivr6 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Looking really good! I'll be interested to hear how those side skirts fit up for you as one person said the fitment wasn't great on them, but others have said they fit nicely. I plan on ordering some regardless just be nice to know how much work I'll have to do.

2nd Gear
    Well, the previous set I had on in 2012 was from the same seller in Poland. (I bought second-hand used) And I can tell you that A) the fit is tight, and B) a little Dremmel action was required to fit 'perfect'. To me, it was NO issue. I expect the same fitting issues to occur with the new set. I mean, its a fiberglass knock-off. Once its on and fastened to the car, they are really nice. And the seller I listed is very communicative, knows how to ship CORRECTLY, and is VERY prompt. If I didnt already have my front bumper taken care of, I would have bought that Votex rep front he has for sale on his Ebay site. Would cost about the same as it cost me to get the skirts. Just sucks to have to buy sh*t from Europe, but hey...gotta do what ya gotta do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Yeah I've talked to him before, his prices are crazy good! He can get me the wagon rear and side skirts for like 300 or so shipped.

2nd Gear
    I know, right? Wish he had a Votex rep rear skirt. Want one of those BAAAAAD!

Wants to be TheFlipperGray
    I'm looking forward to seeing some finished pics, I like the look of what's coming

RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    *long slow whistle*

2nd Gear
    You know what Im definitely gonna need....a full-on exterior detail. Im half tempted to buy an orbital buffer and attempt it myself, but I would probably eff the paint up. Need to find someone local that works for beer.

2nd Gear
    Don't get a rotary buffer, get a DA buffer. A lot less forgiving!

And he does have a votex rear skirt, just not for the sedan lol.

5th Gear
    Looking good and thanks for the kind words
    I am glad I could help...

I only have eyes for Princess Alisa
    Glad to see you back in the game

2nd Gear
    Oh, its so on.

Right now Im trying to get a clear cut answer whether or not the rear bumper lower textured valence is identical in shape/curve between the sedan and wagon. I know the bumpers are not interchangable, but the guy I got the skirts from sells a dope rear bumper valence. He claims it fits both sedan and wagon, and that his customers buy the valence for their sedan. It was molded off a wagon bumper.

I need facts, dammit!

I am gonna get it if it fits.

Neutral
    nice work..keep it up.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg74 View Post

Right now Im trying to get a clear cut answer whether or not the rear bumper lower textured valence is identical in shape/curve between the sedan and wagon. I know the bumpers are not interchangable, but the guy I got the skirts from sells a dope rear bumper valence. He claims it fits both sedan and wagon, and that his customers buy the valence for their sedan. It was molded off a wagon bumper.

I need facts, dammit!

I am gonna get it if it fits.
    From what I know sedan and wagon are two different species... I think there were guys here with B5s trying to put the B5.5 votex rear on and they would not fit without major modifications. I am pretty sure that B5 and B5.5 wagon bumpers are similar but not sedan... I think the wagon bumper is much longer on the sides but I am talking B5.5 as this is what I have... Might be different then B5 sedan...
    My 02 cents...

My intake has Emphysema R36Dreams's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not usually a wheel whore.....but.....that looks hot.

2nd Gear
    Crap. So bumming around, I find this front lip spoiler. And I really like it. Aaaaand ECS sells it for a reasonable price. I am seriously thinking of selling the winglets and going with for this front end look. Opinions?

2nd Gear
    Best I could do with Gimp

2nd Gear
    Blog Entries
    i think thats a pretty decent lip. i like it. where did you find it?

2nd Gear
    ECS. I'll be ordering it next month.

2nd Gear
    Those wheels look great!

2nd Gear
    So these came today...

Heading out on vacation tomorrow for two weeks, so Ill mount these up end of the month.

1st Gear
    Dig it Trav. Glad it's back to a fun car.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    That looks like the front spoiler dav1129 is running. I think it looks great on his car. (and also Colorado Red)

https://www.passatworld.com/forums/79...3-dav1129.html

hotfoot likes this.

2nd Gear
    Last edited by tdogg74; 04-28-2014 at 03:58 PM.

2nd Gear
    Had the tires mounted this morning and threw them on. Didnt have time to lower it, I'll do that later this week.

hotfoot and collin91 like this.

2nd Gear
    Looks great!

Did you end up ordering the valence yet?

2nd Gear
    Yes, 3 weeks ago. And I just cancelled the order yesterday. Wasnt supposed to even ship till the end of May. Decided that I am just going to use the winglets instrad like originally planned, along with the new skirts. I can get everything on when the weather decides to get nice out. Its still 45* and rainy out.

2nd Gear
    Still fitting the side skirts. The reps from Poland dont fit too well around the end-cap locations. Dremmeling is a bitch.

In other news, I weld old school '80's on my tires. Was at the hobby shop over the weekend with my three sons, and picked up a Testors white paint pen. Went to town on the raised letters. Car looks cool rolling, lol. (yes its stupid, I know, but Im old and it reminds me of my high school days)

ZachB5.5 likes this.

those wheels look awesome man!

2nd Gear
    Finally got around to getting my front end aligned. So yea, my toe might have been a little off.

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information