The 14yr old gets a refresh. 2014 makeover - Page 6

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The 14yr old gets a refresh. 2014 makeover

2nd Gear
    Lower bumper came in. Hope to install it this weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Did some test fitting today. Over-all, I like it. I'll miss the 'wide' look the winglets gave. I thought of mounting them on this piece, but because of the dip it takes, the front doesnt line up. I could hack them and refiberglass them on, but I'm not that talented.

Still got some finessing to do with the mount points, and my intercooler needs to be readjusted so its a little lower and a little more center. Also need to texture spray it to match the skirts.

New grille should be here soon too.

I'll install the new headlights after it gets delivered. Theeeeeenn I have to get new tires for the 18's. Still so much to do.

2nd Gear
    Grille's definitely getting painted.

benzivr6 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

That new grill looks really nice man.

2nd Gear
    There needs to be more time in the week to work on this rat trap. Almost done though...

Neutral
    Hey, any chance you'll sell the old projector headlights? PM me if so with what you'd like for them. I need new headlights... my stockers are CRUSTY and won't clean up.

Rob

2nd Gear
    Actually.....those lights are currently apart and I'm painting the chrome semi-black so I can put them back in.

These new lights SUCK!. They look awesome, but the light output is worse than a MKIII Jetta headlamp. I tried to use H1 HIDs. It wouldnt project light 10' in front of the car. Lots of shadowing, and the light scatter was embarrassing. So I put the halogen H1s that came with the lights back in to see if there was any improvement. Slightly better beam pattern, but tons of light scatter and, well, the halogen H1s really really suck in the light output dept.

So right now I have the old projectors apart and Im smoking them and Im going to put them back in. The light output with 55w 4500k HIDs is excellent. Im pissed too, the new lights just (to me) look awesome. Oh well.

2nd Gear
    One more thing knocked out. Painted/cleared the grille yesterday. Love it. Blends the eyelids better going across with the grille red.

shaggy1071 likes this.

2nd Gear
    Six weeks of internet digging, and I found the exact OEM fogs used by Caractere when they sold their lower valances 16 years ago. OEM glass VW Sharan fogs FTW!

2nd Gear
    Been out of the car show scene for years...raising my 3 boys has put a damper on my car stuff. Over the weekend, went to a fantastic show up in beautiful New Hampshire. Was thrilled to take first place in my first car show outing in 4 years. I can go back into retirement now. :laugh:

And some from over the summer.

2nd Gear
    Quick update. Added some flares. Still working out offsets.

benzivr6 and NZSloan like this.

2nd Gear
    Might as well post up this year's mess. Saving for new(er) wheels for next yer, so I just blacked out the summers until then. Not super stoked on it, but it's a whole lot better than peeling clear coat on the lips. Got my rear valance and exhaust tips stolen from my car last winter, so I upgraded. It's a different look, and I'm still getting used to it. Also tinted my tails with some of that Duplicolor stuff. Came out perfect. I wish they had more options for B5 sedan tails like they do for the wagon. Oh well. Enjoy.

Moderator Extraordinaire
    Love it
    Original Club B5 member: 16 Golf R. Missing my 99 B5 & 08 R32

2nd Gear
    ANother quick 2018 summer update.

Managed to shoe-horn a set of 18x10.5" wheels with some 255/35 tires under the old pig. Perfect fitment. And the best thing is I no longer need to use spacers!

swiggles likes this.

RAH
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg74 View Post
    ANother quick 2018 summer update.

Managed to shoe-horn a set of 18x10.5" wheels with some 255/35 tires under the old pig. Perfect fitment. And the best thing is I no longer need to use spacers!

I have been watching this thread for a few years now, quite the progress on your car, congrats on all the work and effort and making it your own, always a work in progress it feels like for sure. looking good.
    tdogg74 likes this.

2nd Gear
    So Its now 2019. Car has come a loooong way. Figured I would post up.

Pics were taken at Thompson Speedway last weekend.

swiggles, benzivr6 and RAH like this.

RAH
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg74 View Post
    So Its now 2019. Car has come a loooong way. Figured I would post up.

Pics were taken at Thompson Speedway last weekend.

Don't see the pics?

Neutral
    Congrats. I have been following your posts of the Passat as of two years ago. Quite a project but it turned out quite nice. Any problems with the front wheels turning lock to lock?

2nd Gear
    Zero issues with the wheels.

22. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information