Hello Neighbors! I need help!!

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Hello Neighbors! I need help!!

HELLO, I HAVE BEEN ENROLLED HERE FOR AROUND A YEAR BUT NEVER COMPLETED THE TWO POST REQUIREMENT, BUT AM WORKING ON THIS NOW.

MY NAME IS RON AND I LIVE IN NW WASHINGTON STATE (BELLINGHAM) AND HAVE BEEN A PROUD OWNER OF AN 2003 PASSAT W8 4MOTION WAGON THAT ONLY HAD 58,500 MILES ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT TWO YEARS AGO (third owner).

I NEED TO GET INPUT FROM EXPERIENCED VW OWNERS AND ENTHUSIASTS.

I have an 2003 Passat W8 4Motion wagon with 61,500 original miles on it and a month ago I was rear-ended. The offenders insurance company decided it was a total, but I bought it back at salvage price. In my view the damage was far from a total loss (right quarter panel stretching, bumper, and dent in rear lid).

Since my light research suggests that there were only around 200 of this particular model imported into the USA I feel that it should be restored, but I live on a limited SSA income and being in my mid-sixties I simply can't do it.

So based upon info from other VW enthusiasts I was told that the engine and tranny (excellent working order, no leakage also) are a very valuable commodity in the eyes of younger small sport car enthusiasts. I was told that I could sell the engine and tranny for a very fair price depending upon who you talk too. One VW mechanic (dealership) told me that I could get between 4 and 6 thousand dollars, while another mechanic shop told me more likely $2000 to $2500.

I would prefer to see it re-built to original condition, in light of its low mileage, but due to financial constraints, I'll likely sell it as a piece meal buyer. Could I get some feedback on this situation from more experienced enthusiasts, or any persons looking for a project car!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

RAH
    Welcome to this forum! If the damage is minimum and there is no frame damage then it would definitely be worth repairing in my opinion. Is it a manual or Auto? The manual is more thought after of course, but the auto can be in demand as well. I understand the limited budget and those cars are not for a limited budget really, as the parts are fairly pricey for that engine and the maintenance cost can be up there as well.

I am sure you can advertise it on craigslist and see what you can get out of it. The price is really depending on the damage. I personally would not part out this car if the damage can be easily repairable, amd most enthousiast would buy the whole car and the purist would repair it. I would possibly be interested as well but i would need to see some pictures of the car and i am more interested in a manual gearbox.

Good luck!

Neutral
    THANKS for the reply!! I was beginning to wonder if I was really logged into the site. I need to get busy and take some photos of the damage. The guy that owned the body shop had farmed the quarter panel pull to a sub-contractor and when he brought the car back for me to pick-up he remarked that he was surprised how little damage was truly done and that he could easily complete repairing that panel and find a new bumper. This is the same guy that placed the "Totaled" evaluation for the insurance company. I immediately took the car that day to my mechanics shop and they put it on the computer, up on a lift, and did a test drive. Mechanically, the only real concern they had (myself as well) is a need for the left/rear brake caliper to be unstuck. That's this coming week's agenda. With 61K on it they felt I need to do an oil change in the tranny as well. Oh, the tranny is an automatic, but I'm not sure how to determine which auto it is. I will ask my mechanics on that one, since they are truly tuned into VW.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Hi tubell 1
    Im just wondering how much would you take for the car? Cause I have a 03 1.8 that Im about to take to the junk yard. I can probably make 1 out of the 2.
    thanks!

Neutral
    Never mind, just realized that yours is a wagon!
    my bad!

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information