Need advice on front component speakers

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

1st Gear

Need advice on front component speakers

My drivers side door speaker seems blown. I have a B5 non-monsoon system (no seperate amp). I already bought a replacement OEM speaker for 10 bucks from here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2450051776 . However, I was thinking that if I am going to spend money on the installation, I might as well upgrade and get some better speakers. To be honest, the OEM speakers that came with the car sound pretty good to me. I believe the front door speakers are called components? Could someone reccommend a fair priced good pair of components that will sound loud and clear and that are a good value for the price? Also, what are the rear door speakers called? Are they also components?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Redline
    In a VW the front and rear speakers are components. All a component set means is that there is a separate mid and tweeter. For speakers, the only opinion that matters is yours, YOU have to live with them and everone's ears are different. I'd start at the local chain stores and listen to what they have, you'll probably find something you like. After that, hit up the small specialty dealers in your area.

Paul

1st Gear
    Amen Paul, well put. However, you might want to know that the car will take 6.5in midranges and (i believe) a 1in tweet in the pillar. I've got the Kappa Perfects in all four of my corners for their purity and range and they fit like a glove (factory grilles, no cutting) but Paul hit it dead on; everyone's ears are different.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    for the price, i personally like the sound of the JL Audio components, (much better that the Infinity Reference, but very close to the sound of the Focal's for much less $)...but it's all a matter of personal preference.

hey paul, do the JL's fit right in like the Kappa's do?

Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by itspepper
    for the price, i personally like the sound of the JL Audio components, (much better that the Infinity Reference, but very close to the sound of the Focal's for much less $)...but it's all a matter of personal preference.

hey paul, do the JL's fit right in like the Kappa's do?
    Yes they do. In fact, most 6.5" components will. As long as the tweeter is 1" or smaller it'll be cake. The only sets I think that would be a problem are the Image Dynamics Chameleons, and most of the really high end European sets like the Dynaudios.

Paul

1st Gear
    Im just a little confused regarding the factory set-up. There are only 2 tweeters total in the car? 1 in each front pillar right? Also, are the rear door speakers the exact same as the front door speakers? So I can buy 2 pairs of the same speaker set for all 4 door corners?

Redline
    No, there are tweeters in the rear doors as well. Yes, you can use the same speakers in the front and rear.

Paul

1st Gear
    So the factory mid's (the speakers in the lower corner of the door) don't have a tweeter built in? Also, if I buy speakers with a built in tweeter, I wouldnt need to buy seperate tweeters for the pillars? Also, could I still use the factory tweeters (in the pillar), along with an aftermarket 6.5 mid's with built in tweeter?

Redline
    The factory mids are just that, mids. When a tweeter is mounted in front of the mid all on one frame tat's called a coax. If you use coaxes you won't need a second set in the factory tweeter locations. If you do that it'll be too bright. You could use the stock tweeters with a coax but it'll take some work to make it work properly so I'd advise against it.

Paul

Neutral
    Major bump here.

I have a '98 B5 sedan. I have been replacing the door speakers with junk yard speakers for several years now and have grown super tired of this process. I would like to get some speakers that will last more than a year or two but that will easily plug in so that my tweeters still work. Can someone direct me to an affordable and appropriate choice? I have a non-monsoon system with factory head unit (dont want to change out the colors - half the reason I am still driving this car).

Also, one of the door tweeters in the rear is bad, but it is NOT the speaker. I plugged two others into the line and none have worked. is the plug at the large speaker bad? How do I remedy this?

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information