Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

AEB head on AWM motor any advice?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  vwdoc1 
#1 ·
Good morning all, Well as the title states. After a tune up on my newly purchased 2005 1.8T, I have continued getting the Cylinder #2 misfires as well as other codes including the O2 sensor. I'm at work and don't have the exact CEL's on me right now. After a few days of research and getting some advice, it seems to all lead back to an internal head gasket leak or possibly the head being warped/cracked. The car is my daily driver and was purchased 2 months before this issue arose. I did buy the car because it was in a great shape and for the 120K miles it had on it with auto/4-motion I decided to pick it up for the 5K. So I do want to invest the money/time into it to keep it for more than a few years if possible. Well after a few weeks of looking for a head just in case if that was the issue, I could not seem to find a direct swap AWM head anywhere. After hearing from of few members here an there I was told it has been harder an harder to find certain parts, manifolds etc. Well I came across a member selling an AEB head which I was told it is a "big port head" as to small port which is my AWM I have now. I am a long time VW guy but this is my first 1.8T standard motor car. So my 1st question of the million I have is..has anyone done this head swap? I do hope it is as least possible for the $500 I have spent on it. As of now I am in the process of talking with Integrated Engineering about how to fit the intake manifold spacer, from what they say is that I have to modify my coolant pipe a bit to fit it on the AWM. Well thanks for taking the few minutes to read this guys and any help would be great on this subject!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know if anyone who has done it is still active here. AudiZine's B5 section might have more info.

If you have not bought the head yet, I would look into having a machine shop check your's over before anything. If all it needs is planing back to flat, it's cheaper to keep it. With only 120K, it's probably in better shape. The AEB head will delay boost slightly without any additional power unless you build the engine for over 400hp.

If you already bought it, I would still have a machine shop check it. An intake reducer/spacer is easy to install and I don't recall that you have to modify the coolant pipe.

#3 ·
Where are you located? There are plenty of AWM heads in the yards here around Denver. I bought one for $69 at a pick-n-pull, paid $125 to have a shop check, clean and plane it, then about $100 for the gasket kit. I didn't bother with any valve work and it was just fine. Just FYI for comparison.

It sounds like you're pretty experienced but most of the bad heads/head gaskets I've heard about here on the forum caused over-heating or gasses in the coolant. That's what happened to one of my Passats so maybe I'm biased but I'd be sure to rule out all the other mis-fire causes before pulling the head.

#4 ·
The large-port head off the AEB engine is not a direct swap to later years. It does not have VVT on the CCT, so that may throw a code, unless you are able to swap in a CCT with VVT. The other thing is that the cam pulley is positioned closer to the head so it will not line up. May be able to swap the exhaust cam to resolve this.

#5 ·
What is VVT and CCT? I really am looking for anyone that has done this swap. I have heard it has been done but what you are saying is that it almost sounds not possible. I literally am at this moment getting a $600 valve job done on the AEB head. This is very discouraging to say the least.

#6 ·
VVT = variable valve timing
CCT = cam chain tensioner

It's above my experience level but I'm pretty sure folks have used an AEB head on a engine that originally had an AWM head. Most often for higher flow when the engine is built for more power. Search around and you will find posts on it I'm sure. Or check at some of the audi sites since they tend to be more performance oriented.

#7 ·
IMHO
Keep an AWM or AMB head on that engine. If you use the AEB you will probably notice a drop in low RPM power and possible a drop in MPG. The original head will have more low end torque = a quicker response off the line. The AEB will allow more air inside the intake manifold and cylinders which is better for the higher RPMs but not so good for the lower RPM.
If you want more power modify the AEB head with intake manifold and invest in other components (Turbo, Exhaust, Chip, etc) you can probably produce more horsepower. Again you will see a drop in MPG though!
U-Pull-It Junkyards, at least around Chicago, have plenty of those AWM heads but please check them well before pulling them off the engine. I had bought one that had damage from the previous "mechanic" that messed up the camshaft caps and camshaft (became a parts donor). Also want to make sure that there is not too much sludge/debris on the inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.