B5 and B5.5 the same size?

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndreasPassat

Thread: B5 and B5.5 the same size?

Neutral

B5 and B5.5 the same size?

Is the roof (panel?) the same size for both? Im trying to redo the headliner in my b5 and I have a b5.5 donor car. Im like 97% sure they're the same but just want to be sure.

Also is the trunk the same? Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    They should be the same size (also 97% sure), but the B5 sedan did not have side curtain airbags. The B5 wagon only had them in 2001. I expect this will result in a different material design to allow the airbag to come through.

4th Gear
    Same size, but the B5.5 has different plastic trim pieces and attach differently because of the curtain air bags.

As far as the roof liner itself, I had wanted to use a B5.5 roof liner in a B5 but I never did get to actually try it to see if would attach properly.

On a side note: the sun roof out of a B5.5 will bolt directly into a B5 car but the sunroof motor connector needs to have the wires changed for it to function.
    I did a write up on that a few years back.
    axenstar likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

I thought the airbags were only in the A pillars and seats. Are there airbags above the windows also?

PZ
    Redline
    The B5.5 in the US had full curtain airbags in addition to the side of the front seats. They start at the A-pillar, but go overhead to the back windows as well. The B5 wagon got them for the 2001 model. I have to pull the headliner in my car to recover it soon.

I have to say I have never paid attention how far back the air bags extend into the passenger compartment nor have I taken the headliner out.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    The B5.5 in the US had full curtain airbags in addition to the side of the front seats. They start at the A-pillar, but go overhead to the back windows as well. The B5 wagon got them for the 2001 model. I have to pull the headliner in my car to recover it soon.
    I an attest to this as well. My wife's 2003 GLX and the 2004 GLX that I used to have had the air bags in the seats and full curtain airbags front and back.
    The plastic trim pieces on those models are specified as one time use also. You pretty much have to be surgeon to get those trim panels off without destroying the tabs. The other notable difference is all the side curtain airbag trim pieces have a nylon cord attached and are riveted into the body.
    This keeps the panels from projectile-ing (yes I just made that word up) into the passengers compartment.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information