Automatic Transmission Question

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

Automatic Transmission Question

I recently bought a 2003 B5 with the 2.8L V6 72K miles. The owner was having transmission shifting issues. He bought it at an auction and drove it for a while then it quit shifting correctly. Example it would not shift down into lower gears when slowing and sometimes stay in 3rd or 4th when accelerating. I bought it hoping it was something simple like a wet TCU or low fluid but I don't believe that is the problem. There was moisture under the carpet but the inside of the TCU box was dry. When I picked it up I tried driving it onto a dolly and it added a problem. When put it in gear it acts like a manual when you let off the clutch without letting off the break and giving it gas. I took it home and changed the fluid and filter (Pentosin fluid) and it still does it. Its currently on jack stand and when I put it in gear and get immediately off he break it doesn't die and does into gear. After it sits for a while (over night) it will start and I can run the shiftier through the gears a few times without a problem then about the third time it acts like the manual again. I have searched the treads and have not found this problem on the forum. Has anyone here had this or heard of this. My mind sends me to torque converter or lockup solenoid but I am not mechanic enough to know. The car is pretty rough otherwise and I don't want to spend a ton on it but would like to get it running.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    Tough to say without scanning the trans. It does sound like the TC is staying locked, but usually when they fail, the TC stays unlocked. You would need a scan with VCDS (vag-com) as most generic scanners will not fully scan the trans, just read codes. Depending on where you live, there may be someone local with VCDS. There was a vag-com locator thread on here at one point and there may still be one on VWVortex.com. This is the one from here, not sure if it still works: https://www.passatworld.com/forums/b...ator-link.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information