Error code help

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Thread: Error code help

3rd Gear
    I got the bellow error codes is it possible my timing is off? I ask b/c it’s on a car I recently replaced the cylinder head, timing belt (and tensioner) and all accessory belts.

P0102 mass airflow circuit Dash G 70: low input

P0140 02 sensor circuit, bank one sensor 2: no activity detected

P0300 Random/multiple cylinder: misfire detected

P0301 cylinder one: misfire detected

P0302 Cylinder two: misfire detected

P0303 Cylinder three: misfire detected

P0304 cylinder forcolon misfire detected

P1114 bank 1 sensor 2:Internal resistance to large

P1136 Bank one mixture adaptation (add): system to lean

P1517 main relay = >Dash J271: electrical malfunction

P1602 Power supply (B +) terminal 30: low-voltage

P1626 Data – bus powertrain: missing message from transmission control
    Last edited by passatevos; 03-26-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Updated error codes

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    What engine/engine code/year?

Is everything buttoned up and all connectors plugged back in? The MAF code says there's either a huge intake air leak or a MAF issue. That could explain the lean code and all the misfires. (I'm guessing air leak.)

P0140 and P1114 make me suspect that sensor (downstream of the CAT) isn't plugged in. That would not explain performance issues.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by FrescoGreen01.5 View Post
    What engine/engine code/year?

Is everything buttoned up and all connectors plugged back in? The MAF code says there's either a huge intake air leak or a MAF issue. That could explain the lean code and all the misfires. (I'm guessing air leak.)

P0140 and P1114 make me suspect that sensor (downstream of the CAT) isn't plugged in. That would not explain performance issues.
    Yes everything (timing cover, engine cover, air box cover...etc) the car is fully put back together,but I will double check the MAF sensor. When you say “downstream of the cat” where are you referring between the two o2 sensors? Also I pulled all of my codes with a V-Checker 202...just some FYI in case that makes a difference. Lastly I pulled all those codes on an OEM ECU because on my ECU with the GIAC tune the car only gives me the circle around a triangle with an exclamation point inside light and won’t even start.

I’ll grab the engine code in the a.m. as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    ATW engine code

PZ
    Redline
    Does the car run better with the MAF unplugged?

As for timing, it would usually throw a code if the timing was off. The only way it would not, is if the intake cam is off, but the exhaust cam was not. This generally does not occur as the intake timing is easy to confirm on the 1.8T.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Does the car run better with the MAF unplugged?

As for timing, it would usually throw a code if the timing was off. The only way it would not, is if the intake cam is off, but the exhaust cam was not. This generally does not occur as the intake timing is easy to confirm on the 1.8T.
    I’m headed outside to check the car right now. I’ll unplug the MAF and see what codes it throws. Should I clear all the codes first?

3rd Gear
    Unplugged MAF, cleared codes. Started the car and the CEL came back on with these two codes. Side note the circle/triangle/exclamation mark never disappeared during the process.

PZ
    Redline
    I can't read the 2nd code. Does the car run better without the MAF plugged in? Apart from an intake leak somewhere, it's likely that the MAF has failed.

3rd Gear
    2x what PZ said. Other than damaged wiring, a failed MAF is about the only thing that would cause the first code.

The ! triangle with the circle is "traction control off" or something similar.

3rd Gear
    I can't read the 2nd code. Does the car run better without the MAF plugged in? Apart from an intake leak somewhere, it's likely that the MAF has failed.
    P1626 Data-bus powertrain: missing message from transmission control

P0102 Mass air flow circuit-G70: low input

Yeah it runs better but the traction control light stays on.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by FrescoGreen01.5 View Post
    2x what PZ said. Other than damaged wiring, a failed MAF is about the only thing that would cause the first code.

The ! triangle with the circle is "traction
    control off" or something similar.
    The traction control light stays on whether I press the button or not but it wasn’t on before I started having issues so IDK what’s up.

3rd Gear
    I cleaned the MAF with electrical parts cleaner and reinstalled it. I then cleared the codes and started it and the codes, the last 2 I posted, popped back up. The traction light stays lit as well.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by passatevos View Post
    I cleaned the MAF with electrical parts cleaner and reinstalled it. I then cleared the codes and started it and the codes, the last 2 I posted, popped back up. The traction light stays lit as well.
    Did you clean the sensor or the sensor contacts?

PZ
    Redline
    If there are no leaks, I would replace the MAF.

Has it been manual swapped or is it still a Tip trans? If it's a manual, the cluster and ABS is not coded for a manual trans. If it's a Tip, check the TCM for water damage.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ar393 View Post
    Did you clean the sensor or the sensor contacts?
    The sensor that’s inside the round tube inside the top half of the air box. Not the connection that clips into the top of the MAF from the top of the air box.

3rd Gear
    If there are no leaks, I would replace the MAF.

Has it been manual swapped or is it still a Tip trans? If it's a manual, the cluster and ABS is not coded for a manual trans. If it's a Tip, check the TCM for water damage.
    Is an OEM Manual tranny. However the ECU is a refurbished one I bought from online with the same ECU code so I don’t know if came from a tiptronic previously but when I paid for it I let them know my ECU code as well as engine size and transmission.

Neutral
    The sensor that’s inside the round tube inside the top half of the air box. Not the connection that clips into the top of the MAF from the top of the air box.
    check and, if needed, clean the actual contacts at the connection as well.

PZ
    Redline
    Is the Brake light warning always on? The Tip version of the 2000 ATW 1.8T had ASR, which is the circle that is lit. I don't recall if the manual trans also had ASR. The ECU can use the same code for manual or Tip trans. I suspect it's coded to a Tip trans as that would throw off the ASR and call for communication with the TCM.

You will need to go into Coding section of VCDS and check the ECU, ABS and Cluster coding. It's been a few years since I did mine, but it was pretty easy to figure out.

3rd Gear
    Is the Brake light warning always on? The Tip version of the 2000 ATW 1.8T had ASR, which is the circle that is lit. I don't recall if the manual trans also had ASR. The ECU can use the same code for manual or Tip trans. I suspect it's coded to a Tip trans as that would throw off the ASR and call for communication with the TCM.

You will need to go into Coding section of VCDS and check the ECU, ABS and Cluster coding. It's been a few years since I did mine, but it was pretty easy to figure out.
    The brake light is lit b/c I have the E-brake engaged. I’ll try to do some research on how to do that with my V-Checker 202 b/c that’s all I have.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ar393 View Post
    check and, if needed, clean the actual contacts at the connection as well.
    I’ll clean ‘em in the a.m. if no luck I’ll guess I’ll be getting a new MAF sensor.

23. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information