2003 1.8T RPM surging between 1200-1800

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

2003 1.8T RPM surging between 1200-1800

I've recently been experiencing surging of about 100 rpms ONLY when under light acceleration between 1200 and 1800 rpm. Car accelerates from a stop fine, accelerates fine above 2000 rpm, and cruises fine at speed where rpms are above 2000. As others have experienced, this only happens once the engine is warm.

Created a new post because no one seemed to ever confirm a solution. Considering starting with the MAF sensor. Have read maybe ignition coils need to be replaced? Spark plugs? TCM? No check engine/dash warning lights on.

What to do?? Any insight appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    first check for vacuum leaks ,broken dipstick fitting , PCV elbow below and behind thermostat housing, rubber elbows coming off PCV check valve and valve cover etc. and check turbo hoses (inlets and outlets) tears,holes etc. how many miles? and owners?, any service records to speak of ?

Neutral
    110,000 miles, third owner. First owner was suburban Jersey family that had all work done by dealer. Second owner was their son that lived in Brooklyn and barely drove the car for about three years. Carfax and lots of receipts for service.

The issue began after I had done a reverse flush of the heater core. Maybe I knocked a hose loose? Will take a look tomorrow at all you have recommended.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Just a hunch... feel the underside of the "L" hose that's sort of under the coolant tank. It sees a lot of fuel--mine was essentially split almost end-to-end. It amounts to a vacuum leak.

Neutral
    I had had this issue also. I had a number of split hoses. I deleted the whole PCV system and just connected up brake booster to manifold with check valve and installed a catch can. Car has never ran so good and no more oil smell. Id also give the throttle body and MAF a clean too.

Neutral
    I had had this issue also. I had a number of split hoses. I deleted the whole PCV system and just connected up brake booster to manifold with check valve and installed a catch can. Car has never ran so good and no more oil smell. Id also give the throttle body and MAF a clean too.
    Still surging... @Kempy, any resources for showing what you mean by "deleted the whole PVC system"?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempy View Post
    I would strongly suggest against deleting the PCV system. I'm assuming this is for a 1.8t. With a properly serviced PCV system, the car will run well, and you won't smell oil. It will protect your engine from the sludge build up.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempy View Post
    I would strongly suggest against deleting the PCV system. I'm assuming this is for a 1.8t. With a properly serviced PCV system, the car will run well, and you won't smell oil. It will protect your engine from the sludge build up.
    I guess I'm just looking for resources for what includes the PVC system so I can look for leaks. Yes, 1.8t and engine runs fantastic other than the surging of the odometer when warm between 1200-1800 rpm. No oil smell as well.

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information