V6 4Motion Manual Swap

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Iowegian
  • 2 Post By PZ

Thread: V6 4Motion Manual Swap

V6 4Motion Manual Swap

I have an '03 GLX Wagon with the 5spd auto. It's starting to shift funny and I'm wondering if there is a transmission that could mount to a V6 with the 4Motion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Paging PZ...

He knows.

V6 4Motion Manual Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Newli327 View Post
    I have an '03 GLX Wagon with the 5spd auto. It's starting to shift funny and I'm wondering if there is a transmission that could mount to a V6 with the 4Motion.
    You could either do a 5spd Manual from the 4motion Passat or the mostly common 01E 6spd swap you already have the subframe and driveshaft for a easy bolt up you have an auto engine so you have to grind your crank a few MM i think don’t know how much. Im doing this swap in my V6 4motion but im doing the complete 2.7t 01E swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by skullkz View Post
    You could either do a 5spd Manual from the 4motion Passat or the mostly common 01E 6spd swap you already have the subframe and driveshaft for a easy bolt up you have an auto engine so you have to grind your crank a few MM i think don’t know how much. Im doing this swap in my V6 4motion but im doing the complete 2.7t 01E swap

I'm getting confused... I've seen other threads saying that with the V6, you don't have to grind the crank. Also, would the transmission from a 1.8t work? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to transmissions.

2nd Gear
    Also, would the transmission from a 1.8t work? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to transmissions.
    It would probably bolt on but the gear ratios for the transmission are matched to the engine's torque curve so it wouldn't be an ideal transmission for a V6. You could swap the gears out but I'd try to find a trans that is made for a V6.
    axenstar likes this.

V6 4Motion Manual Swap

I'm getting confused... I've seen other threads saying that with the V6, you don't have to grind the crank. Also, would the transmission from a 1.8t work? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to transmissions.
    Idk a 100% but the manual and auto crank where the FW bolts up for the auto is out a few mm what ive seen from other people doing auto to manual swap and what @lowegian added would be better to do an 01e swap

PZ
    Redline
    The best option is the 01E 6sp manual from the S4 or A6 2.7T. That is what I used when I did my swap. You do not have to grind the crank, but there is a metal bushing that has to be removed (and it's a pain). The 5sp gearing is too short and would raise the rpm significantly. You have to double check the rear differential code to confirm it has the 4.11 gear set which would match the 6sp, mine did, but I forgot the code. The Bentley manual lists the differential codes.

You will need to buy a spacer for the driveshaft (less than $100) or buy the longer W8 6sp driveshaft (about $6-700 for the cheapest aftermarket). You can read through my swap thread to see how I did mine, but the pics are dead.
    skullkz and benzivr6 like this.

Neutral
    Pz, would a swap from a tiptronic trans to the 01E trans work for a FWD 2.8 v-6? And if so, what additional parts would be needed, aside from the added clutch pedal, hydraulic clutch cylinders, and transaxles? My current auto transmission is still working beautifully, but I miss driving a manual. Thanks.

4th Gear
    I'm not speaking for PZ, but a 01E should bolt up to a 2.8 V6. Obviously a flywheel will have to be procured to mate up to the clutch for manual trans.
    The thing I'm uncertain of is the rear output shaft for the 4motion. The 01E is a 4motion transmission.

PZ
    Redline
    You can swap in a 5sp manual from the FWD V6. The top ratio is nearly identical and the trans is much lighter and cheaper. There are plenty of write ups available with a parts list and instructions.

Neutral
    PZ, I'm looking at buying a wrecked S4 or A6 and swapping the motor and trans into my 4mo 2003 wagon. Do you know if the v8 will fit into the passat, or if I should be looking at only the 2.7 option. Also, if I can find the Avant, will that drivetrain (driveshaft and rear-end) bolt into my car? I'm checking the rear diff in the car right now to find out if it's the 4.11....thanks man, I know I've "talked" to you briefly about this on passatworld before....

PZ
    Redline
    The V8 can be made to fit, but you may have to modify the front radiator carrier. There are multiple V8 swaps into the B5 A4 and it's very similar to the B5.5 Passat. The 2.7T is an easier swap, but a more difficult engine to work on once it's in the car due to extra piping, oil and coolant lines.

Neutral
    I was thinking of buying a wrecked A6 at auction, so that I have most, if not all the parts to start with. What think you, PZ?

PZ
    Redline
    It would be a pretty sweet swap. The 4.2 has gobs of torque that the 4Mo could put to good use.

Little late to my own party, but hey, what can you do.
    Auto trans has started slipping when the weather gets warm, (pretty bad loss of power and mpg numbers that eat through my bank account) and I think it's time to start procuring the parts for the swap.
    PZ, do you know where the code for the rear differential is? I've had trouble finding it. I've already stated that the VIN decoder states that the rear end is 3.73, but checking the diff seems like the smartest idea. I also have access to a bentley manual per my mechanic, which is helpful.
    I've found used rear differentials on ebay and such for around $150.00-$300.00 and a couple are 4.11, which I would need for the 01E from an S4 or A6.
    Junkyards and/or ebay seem like a good place for something like the clutch pedal (I've seen people saying that you can use the original pedal assembly with the longer bolt from the manual assembly and pedal) and for small parts.

The challenge here seems like figuring out the wiring. The ECU recoding isn't an issue, mechanic said he'd be willing to at the cost of a coffee or a beer, which seems fair to me

Anyways, I've found threads with write-ups about the wiring but a lot of them were the TDI 5spd swaps, so I don't know the differences.

PZ
    Redline
    I think the Bentley had a pic that showed where the code was on the rear diff. It also shows all of the ratios for the different letter codes. The C5 A6 6sp rear diff is always 4:11. The wiring for the reverse lights is very easy, it runs off of the Tip trans harness. I think I had to extend some trans wiring, but it may have been the reverse light switch since I had the 1.8T 5sp engine harness swapped in as well. The clutch vent valve (cuts out cruise control when clutch is pushed) requires running a wire up to the main ECU harness. I don't remember the clutch start switch wiring, It's not required, but it does prevent starting the car in gear with the clutch out. The wiring writeups you need are in the AudiZine B5 A4 Forums.

I took well over a year from buying parts to actually installing them. The trans and clutch were the 1st parts as I found someone local parting out an S4. Junkyard or the classifieds are the best places for parts. The AudiZine forum classifieds have some good parts from time to time. Junkyards are the cheapest option.

PZ
    Redline
    Here is the info on the Trans and rear Differential, hopefully you can see the pics:
    6sp gears.jpg
    Rear Dif..jpg

Sorry about the delay, work has kept me busy these last couple days. Thank you for the pictures PZ, but I do not see the FAS code on the chart (the one on my transmission tag). It could just be the blurry pictures but I'm not sure. The rear diff one should help me find the code when I look later on today but thanks for taking the time for those pics.

PZ
    Redline
    FAS is 4:11, I only posted the 6sp 01E, here are the 4mo Tip trans:
    5sp Tip gears pg1.jpg

5sp Tip gears pg2 (2).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finally, some good news! Thanks again for all the pictures. With the rear end being 4.11 then, I should not have to worry about differing center diff ratios with the six speed.
    I've found some 01E 6spd tranmissions for around $400-$600 with around 130k-150k miles, which doesn't seem terrible. I have read about the issues with the 1-2 shift fork wearing very prematurely, but most people who don't dog on their cars all the time haven't had any issues. PZ, did you find a W8 driveshaft when you did your swap or did you find a spacer?

PZ
    Redline
    I used a spacer. If I had to do it again, I would have gone with a W8 driveshaft or even a 1pc driveshaft but cost was an issue.

Has the spacer caused any balance or vibration issues since your swap? I know disturbing the driveshaft can cause imbalance and vibrations at higher speeds.

PZ
    Redline
    I had a bad center support bushing last fall that I replaced, but I expect it was from age (18yr/180K). After that, the center U-joint started to vibrate, probably due to damage while replacing the center bushing. I don't think they were related to the spacer, but I would have preferred the spacer to be 1/2" shorter as it is not recessed for the front CV joint. I have a small vibration left around 50-75mph but that may be the poly differential mount or a front driveshaft. I rarely drive the car now and will have to repair everything prior to selling later this year.

26. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information