Failing torque converter. - Page 4

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Failing torque converter.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kpassat1.8t View Post
    The TC is bolted to the flexplate, but not to the transmission, it just sits on the splines. If you're removing the transmission only, it will stay on the engine, no prying needed. Passat b5 and b5.5 auto transmissions in the US are all tipronic, you can push the selector knob from D to +\-, and upshift/downshift as you like.
    It has already been removed along with the transmission. It is attached to the transmission right now. Same as in PZ's pictures. Not coming out by just pulling on it. Maybe I will just take a pry bar to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    PZ, it's been almost 7 years since you commented on this thread, but I know you're active here still and probably have an answer... did you ever figure it out? I'm getting the rev jumps, intermittently shifting into 4 and 5 (99 AEB 1.8T auto). Vcds cable is en route so I haven't scanned for codes yet...but this didn't start happening until immediately after I tightened my torque converter to flex plate bolts. A short time before that, I did trans and motor mounts. Hopefully you resolved it or even remember this car. Haha.

PZ
    Redline
    I still have the car. I replaced the TC and the problem (for the most part) was resolved. The new TC locked when shifting and the trans held up well with only a 50rpm flare for the next 6 years or so. I expect that could have been cleared by a rebuild of the valve body, but I decided to finally complete a 6sp manual swap last year.

The replacement TC is now living in my youngest son's 2000 V6 FWD wagon and performs flawlessly. The old trans is sitting in my garage and will be sold.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Thanks for the reply. My rev flares are between 100-300 depending on how hard I'm driving. If I'm accelerating very casually it may or may not flare. I made a mistake in my previous post. This actually didn't start until I replaced my driver side axle. But to be fair, the time between the torque converter bolts getting tightened and replacing the axle was 3 days. Weird misfire feeling around 2k also started at the same time. Hopefully vcds will give me some insight.

PZ
    Redline
    Was there any leak at the trans? The driver's side axle flange can leak trans fluid and cause multiple issues with the trans. Check for leaks and proper fluid level before any other work. A scan should show if the TC is not locking properly.

Neutral
    Absolutely no leaks. No codes in vcds. Trans service was done about a year ago, give or take 8k miles, leveled on jack stands with a friend over here with vcds to monitor fluid temp. The fluid that was in there could not have been too old because it looked, felt, smelled rather fresh. The similarities in the rev flare is what really got my attention.

Neutral
    Throttle body adaptation fixed my hesitation and the rev flare dropped to about 100rpm. I can live with that.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    wow! blast from the past thread!

i wish i had the pics for the axle-shaft seal job, but alas, xyro let his webhost expire

if you can, get a vcds on that car and try and map out the rpm jumps/flares on a graph correlating to rpm/mph and gear/tcc activation.

i'd be interested to see how that comes out.

Neutral
    As soon as I learn how, I will. Also need to verify whether vcds-lite (registered) will give me the info I am looking for. I'll upgrade in another month or so either way.

Blog Entries
    from what i remember, it should allow generic data reading. may not allow for code clearing or coding.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post

i wish i had the pics for the axle-shaft seal job, but alas, xyro let his webhost expire
    They are saved in the Passat Wiki site.

Neutral
    Well, between cleaning some connectors, verifying my trans fluid was correct level still and a few throttle body adaptations, I managed to entirely eliminate my problem. I was getting some wonky maf and throttle angle readings that didn't make much sense. I followed Ross-Tech's guide of measuring a 2nd gear red line. My g/s air reading was way lower than it should be and my throttle angle was giving inconsistent readings. I only cleaned the 8-pin throttle connector and the maf connector (previously cleaned the maf sensor). I hope this helps someone because I have absolutely zero flare now.

Blog Entries
    neat! where is the wiki site?

Neutral

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    neat! where is the wiki site?
    Do It Yourself - PassatB5

Blog Entries
    nice!
    i feel internet famous now.

jesus i type too much.

Neutral
    I want to post a finale regarding my issues... It was the TPS. Finally started throwing codes: TPS input too high/low/intermittent. Cleared codes/ran adaptations just for the problem to return. Swapped throttle body and haven't had any rev flares/fault codes since. Hope this helps someone.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister T View Post
    Some slippage in the TC is normal. There is a Reg mode that allows for up to 510rpm of slip in gear. To my knowledge it was put in for fuel economy and comfort purposes in that it keeps the tranny from downshifting if there is a small throttle application.
    Hi there, I know this is an old thread, but I wanted some expert advice! I picked up an 05 Passat 1.8t 5AT 4Motion wagon recently. 127k. I've never owned an auto, so I'm not sure if this behavior is normal. When I have the car in TIP mode in 4th gear and hit the gas, the RPMs jump by about 200. Car accelerates normally. In 5th gear the RPMs jump by about 100. Car accelerates normally. In D while cruising in 5th under partial throttle, the RPMs will jump by about 500 until I really nail the gas, then it'll kick down into 4th.

From what I've been reading this all seems like normal behavior, yes?

Did you check the fluid level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cchief22 likes this.

3rd Gear
    since you do not know relative history of car, first check fluid level ,second consider doing a filter fluid change, all this per transmission protocol and methods outlined in the data base here before any damage is done

Neutral
    Checking and replacing trans fluid is a good idea if you don't know the maintenance history.
    As far as RPM's jumping at first when accelerating seems to be normal if the RPM are low before accelerating. Best thing to do is scan the trans and see if the torque converter is locking/unlocking only when the computer commands.

trqcvtr partn number for eds4 solenoid ?? tranny's vb got 4 different parts numbers worth soo yeah ... i need that particular one to find out if it's the drum or the gating

25. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information