Possible coolant leak places?

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

Possible coolant leak places?

After a timing belt install we noticed a coolant leak, the leak was under the car, but could have originated from anywhere. He checked the radiator and it wasn't that.

Other than the water pump/thermostat, where else could it be leaking from??? We did replace the pump and the thermostat so we're not ruling that out.
    Last edited by marcello7x; 07-26-2007 at 08:33 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Coolant flange that the coolant temp sensor sits in. It's common. I paid $21 for one yesterday at the dealership with two o-rings.

Neutral
    where is the coolant flange located. My engine knowledge is somewhat limited. Everything i know about the 2.8 engine i learned while replacing the timing belt. So its a learn as i go kind of thing, and w/o the help of people on forums i would be lost.
    Last edited by marcello7x; 07-26-2007 at 08:33 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    this link has pics. The first ones don't work, but farther down the thread it shows some decent pics.
    https://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=143153

good luck

T. J.

2nd Gear
    we found out the leak is coming from the water pump...can we use the red plexitant gasket sealant to seel the water pump to the engine to stop the leak? if not what would you recommend?

2nd Gear
    I have a 1.8T, and am not overly familiar with the 2.8 V6. Did you do the water pump when you did the timing belt? If not, I think you could be in for a rough road. Maybe a V6er can chime in and confirm/correct me on this. Maybe PZ?

2nd Gear
    it is a new water pump..we are not sure why its leaking...we just need to know if the red gasket sealant can be used to seal it and stop the leak..

PZ
    Redline
    You should pull the pump back off and check the gasket. It sounds like it was torn or mis-aligned.

I doubt anything besides JB Weld would seal it without removal and you really do not want to JB Weld your water pump to the engine.

I usually use the Blue sealant on water pumps. If the Red is compatible, it should seal minor imperfections on the surface.

2nd Gear
    Did my timing belt and waterpump last week.

there was no mention of sealant in the procedure and whilst i have not done a long journey yet all seems fine.
    (just had a thought - maybe you don't replace the whole unit hence needing sealant?) I got a complete pump for 35 quid or so so just bunged the whole thing on. Foolishly though I did not check the tightness of the wee bolts that were already on it

If you replaced the whole pump maybe the rubber o ring that sits between the pump and the block slipped during installation?

are the hoses to the pump clamped nice n tight?

2nd Gear
    put it this way, we plan on taking off the water pump no matter what...the front end has not been put on so it will take a few minutes but we will get to it.

billybob, i dont recall there being a rubber o ring that sits btn the pump and block..ill ask vw when i stop by there today..

also..what hose are you talking about that goes to the pump? the thing just bolts on and is run by the timing belt..

i figured the red sealant would be best since it is temperature resistant.

4th Gear
    Billybob has a 1.8 and it mounts differently than the V6.

The V6 just had the gasket between the block and the water pump housing. Make sure the block and flange are clean. I used only a small amount of blue sealant, just enough to hold the gasket in place when I did my water pump, no wholesale coverage. In ~8k miles since, there have been no leaks.

2nd Gear
    ah different engines. sorry for adding to the confusion!

PZ
    Redline
    Right, I always use a very thin film to seal minor imperfections and keep the seal in place.

2nd Gear
    ok figured it out...i was a moron and didnt tighten the bolts on the water pump...i accidentally broke a bolt off the first one i tightened and got mad and forgot about the rest...its fine now :-)

Neutral
    Yup he causes me headaches! Makes me do everything twice.

Neutral
    OK - I am bumping this one cuz I have issues. AND I have car problems...

98 1.8. Replaced thermostat and now there is a leak. I will dig into that later.
    Real question is regarding the water pump belt. Car continued to overheat as I drove it home from work (where I did the thermo change in the parking deck). Shut off car and rolled into a convenient parking lot and took a look. Noticed that there was no longer a belt on the water pump....

SOOO - how do I replace the belt without removing the bumper? Any idea why it may have come off?

Thanks!!!!

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information