Car won't start."EPC" light comes on. - Page 2

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Car won't start."EPC" light comes on.

Neutral
    I had a similar issue happen to me recently. My 1.8 GLS suddenly died while I was sitting at a red light. Battery light and CEL came on right before and then it wouldn't accelerate. Turned it off and tried to start the car again, nothing. Someone jumped my battery for me and I was able to get it home, but the EPC light stayed on, and I still had numerous electronics working despite the car thinking the battery wasn't functioning properly.

I ended up ordering a Bosch replacement ESS (crank position sensor technically). Just put it in yesterday, car started with no problems and has been running fine.

If anyone else ever has this issue, and wants to do the repair themselves, it's definitely true that you DON'T have to drain the oil or remove the oil filter. I was able to reach it by just disconnecting the coolant reservoir and reaching down and behind the oil filter with a 10mm socket.

Hope that helps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Well I'm about to replace the battery as it's dead since I took so long to replace the part but I'll let you know once completed ( hopefully today...lol)

3rd Gear
    Started right up, so we'll see in a few days if it lasts. ( No codes yet either, knock on wood)

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    !! I NEED HELP !!!
    My 2002 VW Passat wont crank and wont start since 3/28/19. i drove my car 50miles to work, and at the end of my shift i tried to start it and it wouldnt crank or start. so i push started it to advanced auto from my job at the NAVY Depo where i work, and they pulled a code P0688. Which the pocket scanner defined as "Module/ Powertrain control module power relay sense circuit / open. So i took my car to the dealer last because im not an auto electrician and assumed they would find the issue ASAP. The dealer has had my car since 4/1/19 until present and they still dont know what is wrong with my car. i spike to them today asking them to close my car up and that i am coming to get it. they told me they checked the ECM, the starter and several wires which is vague... they also said they jumped a relay called J484 "relay 484" and the car cranked but didnt start. i am picking my car up tomorrow... but need help, has anyone else had a problem like this and able to help me!

PZ
    Redline
    In many cases, it's a shorted wire in the coil pack harness (1.8T). It can be a blown fuse or a bad ECU relay as well. If the car ran when jumped, it should not be a bad fuse or relay, but that is what the code is for. Perhaps the relay has bad solder at one of the joints inside and fails intermittently. I had that problem on my 1.8T and it usually failed when hot. The car would start when cold.

5th Gear
    This reminds me of a frustrating troubleshooting episode with my wife's old Audi 5000 Turbo, which occasionally would not start due to the fuel pump not running. I checked the fuel pump relay contacts, which were dirty, but cleaning didn't fix the intermittent problem. That car's FP relay was inside the engine compartment, and being a pre-OBDll car, had a rudimentary fault code system which involved putting a spare fuse into a socket on the relay housing. This would also cause the relay to click and run the pump, but one time it just clicked, without the pump turning on. I tapped on the relay cover, and the pump started up. Magnifier inspection of the relay's little circuit board revealed broken and Oxidized solder joints. Fresh solder and flux solved that one. Evidently, the atmosphere in the engine compartment led to the dirty contacts, which became like resistors, which then cooked the solder repeatedly until those joints had no strength.

PZ
    Redline
    I had many issues with my 5000 Turbo. It would not start when warm. Hit starter, sometimes worked, sometimes not. Pulled and checked starter, it's good. Checked wiring and found corrosion about 24" up the positive lead, inside the insulation.
    cchief22 likes this.

Neutral
    ok! i am going to get my car from them today.... and check wiring from starter, fuses and relays under the hood next to the ecu. and this did take place when it got warmer. so hopefully its a solder issue. thank you everyone for your suggestions i will let you all know how i fair.

pray for me lol

Neutral
    i recall before taking it to the dealer fuse 32 had no volts with the key in the on position... and fuse 34 had 1.79 volts in the on position. is anything significant about either one of those?

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    I had many issues with my 5000 Turbo. It would not start when warm. Hit starter, sometimes worked, sometimes not. Pulled and checked starter, it's good. Checked wiring and found corrosion about 24" up the positive lead, inside the insulation.
    I liked this because I have seen this happen more than once, two geographical areas "rust belt" and warm coastal areas. So decieving in nature,no pun intended.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFist13 View Post
    i recall before taking it to the dealer fuse 32 had no volts with the key in the on position... and fuse 34 had 1.79 volts in the on position. is anything significant about either one of those?
    mileage and engine?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFist13 View Post
    ok! i am going to get my car from them today.... and check wiring from starter, fuses and relays under the hood next to the ecu. and this did take place when it got warmer. so hopefully its a solder issue. thank you everyone for your suggestions i will let you all know how i fair.

pray for me lol
    cChief22 has gone through a few threads diagnosing starting issues.

Also try cleaning your grounds.

https://www.passatworld.com/forums/b...obd-codes.html
    https://www.passatworld.com/forums/b...-key-nada.html
    https://www.passatworld.com/forums/b...155-issue.html

Neutral
    2002 GLS Passat 1.8t AWM

284, 852 miles
    Last edited by BlackFist13; 04-10-2019 at 11:52 AM.

2nd Gear
    reason I asked is climate can influence things but age and mileage sorta points me in certain directions, I ask about engine too because although I have "crawled,twisted,wedged " around the 2.8s,am much more familiar with the 1.8s and the B5.5 s as yours is , electrical is the hardest thing to diagnose as it is most times intermittent in nature. I wish I was more computer/cad savvy as would make/draw up a flow chart. But given your car,climate, engine,mileage,and symptoms and not knowing the repair or part replacement ,my guess is it is between the ignition switçh and starter.....I know the response from everyone is "No shit Sherlock" I am laughing too, but the serious question is what and where to start. So I assume wires do not wear out, so path of starting goes as such: 1.) ignition switch, 2.) #12 relay , 3.) #13 relay (PND) switch , 4.) starter solenoid, 5.) starter motor. You push started it correct? ,so that tells me that the ignition switch is at least partially working but the part that energizes the starter part MAY be bad,not uncommon. It started that morning so ignition switch works(ed) maybe intermittently but it worked. So now where do I start? no pun intended ,easiest point to dianose and rule out is the actual starter itself, SAFETY FIRST jack up and snake your way to the starter,large lead(cable) goes to #30 terminal on end of starter solenoid, bayonet style push on connector #50 (small wire) . Cable comes directly from battery, small wire from relay #12 or #13 (don't have my Bentley in front of me, pullmoff small wire and with a jumper wire from terminal #50 on solenoid ,connect to cable/#30 terminal. Starter should engage, SAFETY FIRST ,out of gear!!! front wheels off ground (four mo. all wheels off) ,if starter doe not kick on ,it is your starter especially if never replaced, you can tell by wear and tear...... there is a small braid of copper (called a shunt wire) which goes between starter body itself and solenoid (which also is a large switch inside) , these corrode away, may work when cold (conduct current) but when hot don't fair as well . Let me know how it goes....... as to the "shunt" corroding and failing it is also known to many as "Chief's Syndrome" being in the rust belt salt city,I have had this happen to me ((various vehicles) 3 or 4 times

2nd Gear
    aside from being the brushes worn out inside the starter ,physically look at that 1/2" to 1" inch long shunt wire carefully ,if it does not look congruent/healthy for lack of a better term it is suspect, you might be able with a light and mirror be able to get a looksie at it before going deeper, unhook ground on battery.Welded mirrors a distinct possibility! Also as previous poster correctly suggested check engine to frame grounds as the starter gets it ground (other side of electricity) from the fact it is bolted to to engine.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by cchief22 View Post
    physically look at that 1/2" to 1" inch long shunt wire carefully ,if it does not look congruent/healthy for lack of a better term it is suspect, you might be able with a light and mirror be able to get a looksie at it before going deeper, unhook ground on battery.Welded mirrors a distinct possibility! Also as previous poster correctly suggested check engine to frame grounds as the starter gets it ground (other side of electricity) from the fact it is bolted to to engine.
    Stsrter Grounds.jpg

For your viewing pleasure. sorry that's for the 2.8L

2nd Gear
    close enough to illustrate whats going on down there, although that starter appears to have seen better days the shunt "appears" intact albeit green from envy , er I mean corrosion
    PZ likes this.

Neutral
    thank you, for everyone's advice, i have been swamped with work... but i will be looking for everyone's suggestions this weekend.

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information