Bobby Chan - Hong Kong

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

Bobby Chan - Hong Kong

My Name is Bobby Chan
    My car's a 2000 Passat B5 1.8 20V Turbo (APU Engine)
    Black exterior/black cloth interior

Engine:-
    BMW V8 air filter
    Beru Ultra-X spark plugs

Interior:-
    51mm Mechanical EL Boost Meter
    51mm EL Volt Meter
    All Interior Light Change To Superbright White LED
    Caractere with "R" emblem B5 EL Rear
    Wetterauer EL Side Logo Stickers
    Mirror Finish Stainless Steel Door Sills With H&R Logo Stickers
    LEVOC racing pedals
    "R" emblem steering wheel center
    "R32" steering wheel
    "R" emblem door locking pin
    VW W8 map light panel with superbright blue LEDs
    Superbright white LEDs front floor light
    Twin LEDs alarm indicating light
    6mm width W8-like chrome interior trim
    Momo Tiptronic Shifter Knob By (Advanced Motorsport Tuning) "http://www.amtuning.com.au"

Exterior:-
    Kamei Sports Grill
    Caractere Front Spoiler
    Caractere Rear Spoiler
    Caractere Rear Valence
    Caractere Fog Light
    "R 3B" Rear Emblem
    M3 exhaust tips
    Hella 4600K xenon head lamp
    Superbright white LEDs reverse light
    VW Passat crystal corners indicators with superbright white LEDs day time running light
    VW brake fluid reservoir/battery/ECU/ABS control unit cover

Foot Work :-
    H&R sport spring

Order Mods :-
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    A6 Tower Bar

Future Mods :-
    Projektzwo 17" x 8.5" - 39mm ET
    Bridgestone GIII 225-40
    193Bhp Wetterauer chipped
    Eibach front anti-roll bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear

Re: Bobby Chan - Hong Kong (bobbychan)

Nice Ride - Welcome to ClubB5!
    You'll drive a new when you get the Eibachs and 17s.
    Have you tinted your headlights and side markers? Got any close up pics?

2nd Gear

Vinyl decal - looks good , I havent seen it on B5 before.
    You should post in general discussion - you'll get many more replies and welcomes there and I know people will be interested in the headlight mod as well as the rest.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear

Wierd thing bout your car thou.... you have Oettinger emblems and decals all over but I didn't see any Oettinger products I think you got the wrong brand man, it'd should be charactere

3rd Gear

Nicely modified B5 Bobby. By the way I'm from HK too, but right now I'm living in Boston, MA, USA. Still go back to HK around twice a year as my family is still there.
    Too bad in HK the dealer (Harmony Motors Limited) now don't offer the 1.8T since the B5.5 came out. The bare minimum they have now is only the V5 2.3L 170 bhp. Guess if people want a 1.8T in HK now they would need to go through direct import dealers like Richburg ("Fu Lei Bo") or Promax. Even for the Audi A6, they don't have 2.7T in HK too.

Neutral

Re: Bobby Chan - Hong Kong (HKPassat)

Bobby,

They used to sell B5.5 1.8T in Hong Kong. In fact, I believe they still do if you ask them.

What makes you think that they don't sell the 2.7T Audi A6 in Hong Kong? They do. Not only that, I have seen quite a few in town.

3rd Gear

Re: Bobby Chan - Hong Kong (abs0)

Sure about that? When I inqured them whether they would do 1.8Ts they said "no longer do", and you're right about that they <U>used to</U>, but they don't anymore since after the summer. And this was mentioned in Car and Driver (HK Edition) previously too.
    Apologies to that part about the 2.7Ts. I did mean that they don't sell <U>manual</U> 2.7Ts in HK. I got too carried away last time with other parts of my post.

Neutral

I think HK dealer not import 1.8T has some reasons :-
    The 1.8T in HK only 150 ps. It's under power for apply in passat.
    This was mentioned in Car and Driver. If you like to see.
    I have to scan and send to you.
    So, many people like to turn up the chip.
    If they import 1.8T 170 ps or 190 ps, it can not pass the requirement of the enviormental department in HK.
    How about 2.7T A6? This model is also not suitable for HK.
    Because the license fee in HK if more than 2500cc. You will pay the money
    due to 3500cc class. People want to choice about 3000cc car.
    If some people want to choice manual shift, I think should go to direct import
    dealer can be find.

Neutral

Hello HKPassat,

When will you come back to HK.
    Have you any car in HK ?
    What will your proposal for modify your Passat ?

3rd Gear

I'll be back like a bit after mid-December. Don't really have my own car in HK - I'm not there most of the time so I just drive whatever that's there when I go back.

There are a few things I want to do to it but its not finalized - I don't intend to mod it big anyhow. It is basically pretty stock right now - I bought this as a 2nd hand not too long ago and haven't really had time to go into mod it. Things I might wanna do that are very possible include 17"X7 or 17"X8" wheels with 235/45/17 or 225/45/17 tires, and H&R Sport Springs, which I will probably do in the spring. As I live in Boston areas and roads around here are first of all quite rough, secondly snow conditions half the time, I don't intend to do anything to the shocks. A friend of mine has an A4, recently drove over a big pot-hole downtown in Boston. The left front wheel+tire went into the pot-hole and then jumped out. Obviously the tire is done since it was popped and a big hole in it, and the wheel is scratched. More severely, the axle was bent and has been moved back by around 2 inches. Stock bumper spoiler was damaged too. Two days before that he was almost going to put a set of new sport package rims onto the car; thank god that didn't get done because of some delay. So, you don't want to make your car too low or have too big rims in Boston metro.

After that, I might do the HID xenon projector headlights. Saw a couple around and they seem pretty good. Roads/streets here are not as well lit as HK; HIDs make a big difference.

Actually I think 1.8T is quite good for HK. The fuel economy when you need it, the power when you want it.

<![CDATA[I'll be back like a bit after mid-December. Don't really have my own car in HK - I'm not there most of the time so I just drive whatever that's there when I go back.

There are a few things I want to do to it but its not finalized - I don't intend to mod it big anyhow. It is basically pretty stock right now - I bought this as a 2nd hand not too long ago and haven't really had time to go into mod it. Things I might wanna do that are very possible include 17"X7 or 17"X8" wheels with 235/45/17 or 225/45/17 tires, and H&R Sport Springs, which I will probably do in the spring. As I live in Boston areas and roads around here are first of all quite rough, secondly snow conditions half the time, I don't intend to do anything to the shocks. A friend of mine has an A4, recently drove over a big pot-hole downtown in Boston. The left front wheel+tire went into the pot-hole and then jumped out. Obviously the tire is done since it was popped and a big hole in it, and the wheel is scratched. More severely, the axle was bent and has been moved back by around 2 inches. Stock bumper spoiler was damaged too. Two days before that he was almost going to put a set of new sport package rims onto the car; thank god that didn't get done because of some delay. So, you don't want to make your car too low or have too big rims in Boston metro.

After that, I might do the HID xenon projector headlights. Saw a couple around and they seem pretty good. Roads/streets here are not as well lit as HK; HIDs make a big difference.

Actually I think 1.8T is quite good for HK. The fuel economy when you need it, the power when you want it.

[Modified by HKPassat, 4:54 AM 11/23/2002]

Neutral

I heard from people that those who could afford to buy the 1.8T Passat probably would want something more refined for the price. 1.8T is considered rather rough. (Think about it, you have lots of choices in terms of 2000cc European sedan for the price of the Passat here in Hong Kong). So, they are phasing out the 1.8T in favor of the V5.

HKPassat, are you studying in Boston, or are you working over there?

3rd Gear

Actually that's very true for the HK market. They sell the V5 for around HKD$270k while they sold the 1.8T for around the same price before. (I'm not that definitely sure about the price; that's what I think I remember. Apologies for discrepencies.)

I'm studying over here.

Over here, lots of my friends around in US are in favor of 1.8Ts, particularly A4s. Potential for mods and so on, all that stuff that enthusiasists would be doing. But basically in general, VW's & Audi's are quite popular amongst college students.

- Chris

Neutral

I have just finished my momo shifter knob mod.
    You can see in my forum.
    Next week I also mod H&R sport spring.
    You want to modify wheel & tire, my suggestion
    are 17" x 8", offset not more than 35mm, tire should be
    225 / 45 /17. Do not select 235 / 45 / 17.
    It will reduce the starting torque.
    You can goto the following site to select tire & wheel :-
    http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/tire.html

Neutral

HI Bobby,

I thought you were going to get the Eibach Pro Kit. How come you have switched to H&R now?

Neutral

Last Month I have driven passat of my friend. He had install
    H&R sport spring. My feeling is when turn to sharp
    angle. It give you very stable and ride quality.
    Another reason is H&R sport 1.75" in front lowering
    and 1.5" in rear lowering. The outlook is better than eibach.
    So, I have change to using H&R sport.
    You can goto the following path to search H&R spring.
    http://www.hrsprings.com/fcgi-bin/qu...nsionquery.cfg

3rd Gear

Yeah I've seen a couple of them around. The lowered ride seem pretty good looking from outside though I haven't driven one, although I had a ride of my friend's Jetta which is equipped with Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. It feels stiffer and less like a boat during turns allowing more agressive turns, and gives a similar feeling to the Audi sport package. Right now, my car with the stocks obviously feels like its floating when I turn. I don't know about making my shocks as stiff as that, because I don't want it to feel too stiff. My analogy for this is those ppl that drive Mitsubishi Evolution bounce out of their seats and hit the roof when they go over speed bumps or potholes even snail slow.

Actually, do they sell the H&R Springs in HK? If they do, how much are they selling them for? Just wondering if it would be cheaper to buy in HK or not.

- Chris

5th Gear

To Bobby Chan's

Neutral

I also buy H&R spring through internet
    ordering from USA web site. The price include
    shipping is about HK$ 2,000.00 per set.
    Labour cost is about HK$ 800.00 per set.
    You know the HK euro accessories dealer is very
    high mark up price. So, my mod is major order from
    internet or oversea friend. Compare the price is cheaper than buy
    form HK dealer. I suggest you buy from USA is cheaper than HK.
    If you want to reduce floating feeling.
    Recently my friend have another mod is most usage.
    Have a good outlook and performance.
    Please see the following email content :-
    "I just acquired a set of BBS RC 17" OEM for Audi.
    remembered it was once a factory fit for A6 2.7 biturbo something something.
    The rubber is Michelin Pilot Sport 215/45/17. Not the most fit but the
    improvement in handling is amazing, with insignificant sacrifice in
    refinement. All are second hand so its a bargain." The price is about
    HK$ 5,000.00 include wheels & tires.

1st Gear

Bobby

I'm from HK too! Could you tell me where do you shop in HK for parts that always markup?

CalgaryB5

Neutral

Re: Bobby Chan - Hong Kong (CalgaryB5)

Sorry, I cannot tell you through internet.
    Because this will affect another people business.

1st Gear

If you are really want to help on their business then you will shop LOCAL, not the States.

Does the company you try to hide have an ad space in here?

CalgaryB5

1st Gear

Re: Bobby Chan - Hong Kong (CalgaryB5)

Hi,Bobby,
    I'm KK. My car is 2002 Audi A4 1.8T, your car is so sweet, can you teach me to modify?

Neutral

Re: Bobby Chan - Hong Kong (kkau)

Hello KK,

What kind of modification you want ?

Exterior, Interior or performance ?

1st Gear

Hello Bobby,
    I would like to find a set of factory's 17' rims first, do you have any suggestion for a wheels shop which can buy a second hand Audi's wheels? Many Thanks!

Neutral

Hello KK,
    Today, I have goto San Po Kong to find the second hand
    wheel and tires. I cannot find for my passat.
    But I find the audi S6 17" oem wheel is about HK$ 4,800.00 per 4 nos.
    Plus pilot sport tries 225 R17 45 is about HK$ 1,200.00 per 4 nos.
    The condition is very good.
    The shop name I foggot.
    The address is Choi Hung Road after PO Kong Vill. Road.
    on left hand side.
    Bobby

1st Gear

Hi Bobby,
    Oh, Thanks. The shop name maybe "Kam Fu". I know where . Thank you very much!! And do you want some genuine oil filter? HK$60 each

<![CDATA[Hi Bobby,
    Oh, Thanks. The shop name maybe "Kam Fu". I know where . Thank you very much!! And do you want some genuine oil filter? HK$60 each

[Modified by kkau, 5:54 PM 12/1/2002]

3rd Gear

Maybe I could check those second hand stuff out too when I go back. Sounds interesting. Do they have a lot to choose from or no? And would you be able to tell me precisely where it is? I'd appreciate it.

Neutral

Hi KK,
    Where can be buy oil filter !
    Thanks
    Bobby

1st Gear

Hi, Bobby,
    The parts are providing by my friend, he know some VW and Audi car parts supplier in Taiwan and Singapore. All the parts are direct import from my friend! If you have intresting for this, I can provide the parts to you. And about the oil filter, I have some made in Germany in my hand, and they have some difference between them:The Germany one is a little bit longer than the Austria one . The longer one is made by Mann in Germany, the Austria one is Made by Knecht. The filter paper and the filter valve of Mann is better than Knecht. It can let the oil faster running when your car in cold condition, the Germany one can provide a better protection. The stability of quality is better than Austria. If you have intresting for this, I can sell you one for try.

<![CDATA[Hi, Bobby,
    The parts are providing by my friend, he know some VW and Audi car parts supplier in Taiwan and Singapore. All the parts are direct import from my friend! If you have intresting for this, I can provide the parts to you. And about the oil filter, I have some made in Germany in my hand, and they have some difference between them:The Germany one is a little bit longer than the Austria one . The longer one is made by Mann in Germany, the Austria one is Made by Knecht. The filter paper and the filter valve of Mann is better than Knecht. It can let the oil faster running when your car in cold condition, the Germany one can provide a better protection. The stability of quality is better than Austria. If you have intresting for this, I can sell you one for try.

[Modified by kkau, 5:21 PM 12/2/2002]

1st Gear

All 1.8T owners please pay attention in your engine oil!
    The select of engine oil is very important for VAG's car in Asia, especially for 1.8T engine. All new cars are fill up of engine oil by VAG factory when they completed, but the SAE of engine oil always is 0W/30 or 0W/40. These oil only suitable for use in -20Cto15C out door temperture, so these oil are not suitable for Asia situatation! If you selected a wrong oil, it can reduce the tubro life and increase the engine noise. The correct spec. for 1.8T in Asia is 15W/50 or 5W/50. So, take care for the oil selection.
    By: KK

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information