"Leaking" mirror

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

"Leaking" mirror

https://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...ighlight=fluid

I've posted my problem somewhere elase before, but didnt have many responses. I hope by posting it in the 'correct' area will have better response.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    I think this is not as annoying a problem as you may have when some electronics should fail. If i were u, i'd simply replace the thing with a new part. How much is the mirror?

Neutral
    Quoted USD 400 to 500 ! I mean if I can clean the 'oil' substance, the auto-dimming feature, which is something I can live without. Does anyone know how to disassemble the mirror ?!

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Do u mean to drain out completely the “fluid” to let it dry? Is this possible at all?
    If auto-dimming feature is not a must to you, why don’t u just take it down and install an aftermarket one?
    Those old-day VW original mirrors without auto features shouldn’t be expensive?!
    BTW, is yours as expensive as US$400 – US$500?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsen4M
    Do u mean to drain out completely the “fluid” to let it dry? Is this possible at all?
    If not, then if only I can disassemble the mirror, and wipe clean what is left inside.

If auto-dimming feature is not a must to you, why don’t u just take it down and install an aftermarket one?
    See above

Those old-day VW original mirrors without auto features shouldn’t be expensive?!
    Well said, in the good old days when things were still affordable.... Secondly, the local VW stealership charges an arm and a leg for any parts.... Almost 100% more if not more, e.g. the sunglassholder costs in Europe €13 incl VAT, but here €28 !

BTW, is yours as expensive as US$400 – US$500?
    Yup, even then I still need to disassemble the old one.

1st Gear
    Where're u stationed in, Folks? I've the painful experience buying parts from the local dealer here in HK. They charge 2.5 - 3 times the "fair" price for parts!! By "fair" I mean the price quoted from Germany.
    BTW, i've a rough check on the fair price of your concerned mirror, should be something around US$150.00.
    It's no way between $450-500 !

Neutral
    I am in NT. My ride that is. I know the prices at DCH are outrages so I no longer order there. Usually I buy them in Holland and send them over - light and litltle ones off course. It is very tempting to ship the votex from spolier over... Thanks for the price, but I am afraid by replacing it will not resolve the problem as we all know how hot HK can get. Another 'problem' is I park my ride outside. BTW, how much will a normal mirror cost from your source ?

1st Gear
    My sources are:
    Worldimpex.com
    Tmtuning.com

I ordered from both. Their international customer service is good. You may check with them the price whatever parts u want.

1st Gear

1st Gear

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information