Anyone have any Alfa Romeo knowledge????

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

Anyone have any Alfa Romeo knowledge????

I rcently inherited a 1973 Alfa ROmeo Spider. The only problem right now, that is prohibiting daily driving, is that the starter is dragging. So much in fact that it drags a freshly charged battery down in no time flat. There is a starter off of a 1974 GTV 2000 on eBay for $10 and I was wondering if that would work on this car? I emailed the seller and he said that he was 95% sure it would but suggested that I seek other assistance before purchasing this particular starter. I have a call into Continental Coachwork in Atlanta (where this car was always maintained) and I am waiting for a response. In the meantime, I would appreciate any guidance from you all.

BTW, it is nice to see alot of the same names around here. Haven't been around in a while.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear

Re: Anyone have any Alfa Romeo knowledge???? (Rays160)

Unfortunately… I have Alfa knowledge.

The GTV starter will not fit the spider as the transmissions were different. I'm not 100% sure, but Alfa components were always switched around, which made parts procurement for the same model car pain in the ass . My 66 Gulia Super had a ducalier alternator and a neighbors, built 8 months after mine had a paris-rone unit. I strongly recommend you accurately diagnose the electrical first before you commit to buying parts.

Good luck.

4th Gear

unfortunately I have no Alfa knowledge, but wanted to say a buddy of mine had one of those and with a little TLC it turned out to be a great project car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral

Re: Anyone have any Alfa Romeo knowledge???? (B5sport)

Well, the car has been 80% restored. My Dad has had the car with him for the last 1.5 years. My Godfather left me the car when he died in late 2000. My Dad took the car and put a new top on it, fresh paint, tires, alternator, tune-up, various trim pieces. There are still several little things but the biggest is the starter.

Ray

1st Gear

From one Ray to the other. There is an Alfa digest that you may want to check out for more info. I will send you the info via your email on yahoo. Good luck with your Alfa.

Lisa Simpson

Re: Anyone have any Alfa Romeo knowledge???? (RayD)

LOL, my mom has some hysterical Alfa stories about guys she dated! Let's just leave it that my dad does not drive an Alfa.

Anyway, parts will be a bear, as you will have to try to figure out what was in the car when it actually shipped, not what is in it now as alluded to above. Just remember, you will absolutely love it when it runs.

Neutral

Re: Anyone have any Alfa Romeo knowledge???? (atomicalex)

Well, I spoke to a gentleman at Continental Coachworks in COnyers, GA (where this car was maintained for all the years it spent there) and he said that he is 99.999% sure it will work on this car. I went ahead and bought it and will just trial and error it. I posted a similar thread to this one on Alfisti.net (an Italian Forum for Alfa's). I got some pretty good feedback from them about it. They said that retro-fitting even a different starter isn't the issue; the tooth count I guess is the problem. He said my year came with a 9 tooth and I may have bought an 8 or 9 tooth (had no specific knowledge of that). But at least knowing that I am a step closer makes me feel alot better about the situation.

Thanks guys and gals.

Ray

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information