Opinions on "machined finish" wheels?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

Opinions on "machined finish" wheels?

I was going to order new wheels in a silver painted finish, but then found out they only came in "machined" finish now. I was wondering what thoughts you all have on those finishes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    what type of wheel? perhaps a few pics to share with the crowd?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by polishpassat View Post
    what type of wheel? perhaps a few pics to share with the crowd?
    That's actually funny because, almost all the closeup pics of them on the web are the original silver painted ones. I think you have to see the finish in person, doesn't show well in pics, or so I've heard.

4th Gear
    I prefer either painted or polished wheels. From what I've learned and seen on many cars, machine finished wheels tend to corrode and get pretty ugly in a couple years. OE and aftermarket.

5th Gear
    I like it. I have the ASA AR2 wheels which have a machined finish on the face. I think it looks much better than the silver painted AR1. They are now calling it the "AR2 V2", but I'm not sure what's different about them...

I have had zero problems with the finish deteriorating.

4th Gear
    Nice wheels Bill.

There's a finish over the machined spokes right? That's the way the ones I looked at were, and it looked kind of thick too. So I can't really see it corroding anytime soon.

It's the coating over the "machined" bare metal that made it look different I think. Almost mirror like.
    To be honest I think, for my car/color at least, that I would prefer silver paint, but I'd have to see it on the car.
    Under the lights in the store they were reflecting some kind of pinkish light that bugged me I guess. LOL..

5th Gear
    Thanks! My wheels are clear coated, but I haven't noticed any pinkish reflection. They are a bit brighter than my last set of wheels, which were Flik Lex (no longer made I think) and were painted silver, but were somewhere between a standard painted silver, and gunmetal.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information