Put new wheels on now car is throwing color abs lights??!! HELP!!
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Put new wheels on now car is throwing color abs lights??!! HELP!!

Hey guys, I have never found it so hard to put wheels on a freakin car!!! I have some Benz ML 350 4matic rims.... I spent 107 dollars on the right lug bolts to go with them.... they are 45mm long and cupped at the top. After having countless problems i finally got my rims on.... I let my dad drive the car while im at school and he calls and tells me that the car is throwing ABS lights.....and the temp light came on (not engine temp)... is my car in danger of anything..... what the hell is going on! He said he took the front wheels off and the abs lights and temp went off...... DO any of you might know what this maybe is it safe to put my rims back on?? Oh by the way the wheels are a 18x8 with a 215/40 on the front and 225/40 on the back thanks!!
    Last edited by one_n9ne; 06-17-2009 at 05:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Banned
    You might have unplugged one of the ABS sensors by accident, or it could be a coincidence, or the wheels+tires might be slightly different diameters. Any of the above would cause that problem.

Neutral
    that what i told my dad... but he said the temp light came on also not the engine temp light but i guess the abs temp light i mean do the B5's have a ABS temp light?? What would cause the temp light to come on?

Neutral
    drove around tonight no problems abs light came on again after a while of driving but nothing else.... the E brake light kept flashing right after the abs break light came on.... any one know is this normal??

Banned
    No such thing as an ABS temperature light. The brakes get frickin' hot normally, so there would be no purpose in having one. Generally speaking, you know your brakes are too hot when they're on fire.

PZ
    Redline
    Your ABS is being tripped up by different sized tires. It sees the wheels spinning at different speeds and can not control it.

Neutral
    just wanted to make sure! ill let yall know how it goes today!

4th Gear
    What PZ said. S'why when you stagger, you make sure the rolling diameter of the tires remains the same, or as close as possible. You're WAY out of whack with those two sizes.

Neutral
    well my wheels are so wide that i have to have 215 on the front or it will rub my control arm i have some 3mm spacers i might have to just put the spacers on the front and get a 225 on the front? i dont know...already tryed putting a 225 all the way around so i just left the 225 in the back for and put a 215 in the front for a staggerd look ill get picks up here later...

4th Gear
    If you can get it to fit with spacers, that'd be the way to go. Or you could just block off the ABS light or try to disable it somehow and live without ABS. Otherwise you're pretty much hosed. Right now there's an inch difference in your tires, but any other size 18 makes it worse...

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information