Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

How Do I Remove the Connector on an H7 Bulb Socket?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  brian95 
#1 · (Edited)
How Do I Install the ECS Tuning H7 Bulb Socket Kit?

My ECS Tuning H7 Bulb Socket Kit arrived, but it came with no directions. At first, I couldn't determine how to release the connector on the original bulb socket, but I figured that out. (Pushing down and out on the end of the connector from inside the ring with a big screwdriver). Now I'm not sure how to remove the wires from the old connector to transfer to the new connector. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Update: I used the existing factory wiring connector with two of the three new parts and I have my low beams back.

Troubleshooting background: I had moved the replaced H7 Bulb holder with current H7 bulb between the left and right headlights and the fault stayed with the location. Swapping the whole headlight assemblies between left and right had resulted the fault moving so I had a hunch that it was the socket I had to replace.

Here's a link to the part I'm referring to.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/h7-bulb-socket-kit/5k0941109c/

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi wlhaman – I have the same issue, but can't find any kind of online how-to's on this repair. I'm guessing you have to remove the headlamp (the grill first), and then disconnect the socket as you described. Sound right? Can you elaborate, and let me know how difficult of a fix it'd be for me (of extremely basic but competent mechanical knowledge)? Thanks!

How Do I Install the ECS Tuning H7 Bulb Socket Kit?

My ECS Tuning H7 Bulb Socket Kit arrived, but it came with no directions. At first, I couldn't determine how to release the connector on the original bulb socket, but I figured that out. (Pushing down and out on the end of the connector from inside the ring with a big screwdriver). Now I'm not sure how to remove the wires from the old connector to transfer to the new connector. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Update: I used the existing factory wiring connector with two of the three new parts and I have my low beams back.

Troubleshooting background: I had moved the replaced H7 Bulb holder with current H7 bulb between the left and right headlights and the fault stayed with the location. Swapping the whole headlight assemblies between left and right had resulted the fault moving so I had a hunch that it was the socket I had to replace.

#3 ·
Hi there. Been a while since I did this repair. Yes, I believe I removed the grill, then removed all the bolts holding the headlight assembly and removed the assembly. However, I didn't know how to do route the wires so I just used the bulb holder. That worked for about a year or so. Then later, I got a whole headlight assembly from ecs tuning, if I recall correctly. Best of luck!

#4 ·
I don’t know if this will be helpful now but it sounds like the same issue I had/have

The connectors (yellow) like to short on me, melting the plastic and locking the metal to it just short of long enough to connect to the housing. I’ve replaced one full light with an aftermarket light that connects differently, but was able to give me a few days of life while ai waited for it to arrive by using a soldering iron to melt the part that was melted by the short and using the tip of the iron to lift the metal up to the proper place. My other headlight shorted about 2 1/2 years ago and I did this and it lasted until a few months ago, so I gave it another shot and it’s going on around 4 months now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.