what are our lowering spring options

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: what are our lowering spring options

Neutral

what are our lowering spring options

i just started looking and all im seeing is h&r, i was hoping to get something with a bit less drop than their sports and the oe's dont look low enough. are tgere other ootios?

also i plan to run 18's with a et35, ive seen a few setups with that offset but just want to reconfirm that they eould be gtg with a moderate drop before ordering

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    the difference in the oe's to the sports is about an inch more with the sports. .5 - 1.25 in some cases.

if you're looking for more of a drop, seek out the mk5/6 golf springs and account for maybe ~.25-.5 inch more drop in front/rear or coilovers.

coilovers are really your best solution to get exactly what you want.

Neutral
    im looking for a 1 to 1.2 inch drop, somewhere around there, i will go with h&r's 1.5" drop if i have to, just seeking all options before buying

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Follow Snobrdrdan he is the go to guy when it comes to springs - very knowledgeable.

Blog Entries
    the h&r oe sports would be the way to go for you.

from personal experience with my car, the gti 18x8 wheels i have, also et35 iirc, look proper to me, right at that spot.

plus, they're your CHEAPEST alternative. low cost, great quality, better than OEM ride. they're not rough like sport springs, which is really nice!

Neutral
    whats the difference between these 2 coikover kits, same part numbers different pricing

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-fk-parts...t/smvw9007~a3/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-fk-parts...ping/smvw9007/

Neutral
    got a slow leak in my front right tire so i couldnt wait any longer for more of you squids to answer, i just popped for H&R sports along with some 18" voxx wheels and 235's from discount tire. hope to squeeze $150 out of the stock setup on craigslist
    TorqTube likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    whats the difference between these 2 coikover kits, same part numbers different pricing

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-fk-parts...t/smvw9007~a3/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-fk-parts...ping/smvw9007/
    Different car fitment

Sent from my Portable

Neutral
    changed my mind on the wheels, they were backordered for 2 weeks and dont want to wait, going with these R8 replicas

TorqTube likes this.

changed my mind on the wheels, they were backordered for 2 weeks and dont want to wait, going with these R8 replicas

Y not go 19s

Sent from my Portable

Neutral
    im scared

Neutral
    I wouldnt want to go 19, hit a bump, buy a new wheel. I don't miss that game at all! I love my 17s. Look good but have enough cushion that a pot hole in a freeway wont cost me 300 bucks.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jjona5 View Post
    I wouldnt want to go 19, hit a bump, buy a new wheel. I don't miss that game at all! I love my 17s. Look good but have enough cushion that a pot hole in a freeway wont cost me 300 bucks.
    jona--

I agree, we love our 17's too..as for me getting away with a freeway pot-hole disaster, it would be way more than 300 bucks.

That is just the way my luck runs. I would need a new tire, also. Most likely two new tires (on the same axle)...so--we'd be looking at well
    over 5 OR 6 big Bens..sheet!! No help from my insurance coverage either..

Just something to think about when you follow that big-assed 18 wheeler too closely...

Steady
    Eddie

Neutral
    my springs are going on right now

Neutral
    my springs are going on right now

Blog Entries
    i haven't gotten around to installing my set yet. that wheel gap looks so even and wonderful! i'd LOVE to see the gti 18's on there!

btw, for flush-ness of the wheels, i went out and dug up my h&r 12-15mm spacers. 15 o nthe back, 12 on the front. it really flushes it up to the fender line from looking down the side of the car, even at stock height.

i recommend it

Neutral
    not the best pic, im gonna be running et35 all the way around with those R8 wheels

Neutral
    took a measurement this morning and the drop is exactly 1" all the way around, probably why the ride feels pretty close to spot, ironically i was looking for around a 1" drop and couldnt find it

3rd Gear
    Looks great! Will look even better with the new wheels.

It's funny cuz I just got back into a Passat, and lowering it is the furthest thing from my mind right now.

Blog Entries
    took a measurement this morning and the drop is exactly 1" all the way around, probably why the ride feels pretty close to spot, ironically i was looking for around a 1" drop and couldnt find it
    were your springs new-out-of-box?

you MAY see further settling over time to the stated ride height, from the website.

Neutral
    yep, brand new. i dont expect much settling, ive put springs on before and never got any settling

Blog Entries
    which model do you have, the vr6, tdi, or the 1.8?

in my research before i bought my set, i even contacted h&r directly due to part number similarities.

i was told that the 54___ and the 54___-2 were actually the same springs, just with a "-2" so people wouldn't get too confused or concerned with drops with different engine setups

i don't remember the exact 54--- numbers, but i ended up buying the vr6 set in the process for dirt cheap through ebay.

i don't expect much difference between vr6 and 1.8, but maybe a quarter to half inch.
    the total settle will take up to a year in some cases.

Neutral
    1.8t, got my tires yesterday and mocked one up on the front and im liking it

Neutral

Blog Entries
    sporty and classy.

Neutral
    ended up selling the original wheels and tires to the guy that did my alignment for $150, that puts me into this new setup for less than $600

1st Gear

Nice looking!

Looks a little like my 2016 with the 19"
    Very nice upgrade. Looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neutral
    I keep going back and fourth if I want to lower it with some springs. Especially since I'm rocking 19 5/8 sized rims on low pro tires. I just don't like the amount of wheel base showing. I want to change the rotors first then maybe springs

Neutral
    Rukus........ What are the specs on your tires ? I know you said you were putting on HR Springs.. Which Part number did you order? Did you change your Shocks/Struts?

Reason I ask ... I'm thinking of this for my car : 18 rims, HR Springs, Koni Yellows, and which tires to select ....

1st Gear
    Looks sharp. Been thinking of springs and Koni FSD. Got the APR stage 2 last week. What a hoot. Concerned about reducing the comfortable ride on OE 18"'s in my SEL. My 08 has Eibach with stock struts. Worked ok, but not as cushy as my 2016 SEL.

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information