what are our lowering spring options - Page 2

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: what are our lowering spring options

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by rbanting69 View Post
    Looks sharp. Been thinking of springs and Koni FSD. Got the APR stage 2 last week. What a hoot. Concerned about reducing the comfortable ride on OE 18"'s in my SEL. My 08 has Eibach with stock struts. Worked ok, but not as cushy as my 2016 SEL.
    Good choice. That's exactly what I just did. Koni FSDs 2100-4090 (for audi a3) and the eibach (for CC - 4cyl version). The ride is really smooth until you ask for more and then its almost instantly firmer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by rbanting69 View Post
    Looks sharp. Been thinking of springs and Koni FSD. Got the APR stage 2 last week. What a hoot. Concerned about reducing the comfortable ride on OE 18"'s in my SEL. My 08 has Eibach with stock struts. Worked ok, but not as cushy as my 2016 SEL.
    I have the Eibach and FSDs on my 2014 (and APR 93 tune). Its subjective, but I think the ride is the right balance between comfort and performance for a sedan of this size.

Neutral
    Gaintanation, I'm curious about why you mounted the Koni FSDs intended for the A3 on your Passat. Was it a question of availability?

Your car looks great!

I've got an older, low milage B5 that's ready for new dampers and planning on the FSDs in combination with Neuspeed SofSport springs. I'd like crisper handling without much of a harshness penalty. I'm not looking for noticeable lowering (I've got a quarter-mile unpaved driveway with some steep sections.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    the comfort with stiffer struts, and slight increase in springrate will make it drive a little closer to how some of the mercedes/bmw's of the last few years. it's tightened up quite a bit, but it's not stiff like the "mom's modified civic" lol

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Gaintanation, I'm curious about why you mounted the Koni FSDs intended for the A3 on your Passat. Was it a question of availability?

Your car looks great!

I've got an older, low milage B5 that's ready for new dampers and planning on the FSDs in combination with Neuspeed SofSport springs. I'd like crisper handling without much of a harshness penalty. I'm not looking for noticeable lowering (I've got a quarter-mile unpaved driveway with some steep sections.
    Price for one thing - ECS had a killer sale on them. BUT also when I looked at the curb weight of the A3 it was almost dead on with the B7 passats.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    I ran H&R coilovers on my 98 B5 - which has a Bilstein damper. It was a nice combination, but IMO coilovers add needless complexity.
    On the 04.5 B5.5 awd car, we ran H&R for an A6 quattro wagon (to get a bit more spring rate, and avoid slamming a daily) with Bilsteins. It had a PERFECT balance of every day comfort and handing. I would recommend this setup every time on that car.

That said, the FSD is unique, and delivers a slightly more comfort biased compromise unlike any other setup. I prefer the Eibach springs, as they advertise them as linear rate, rather than progressively higher rate as compressed like some companies claim. Heck I even put FSDs on our motor home/race car tow vehicle, with outstanding results.

A friend of mine works at Koni. Earlier this year they were looking for B7 Passats to do fitment testing of the FSD. I was not close enough to help them out, but I used FSD for a CC, and I think Eibach for a B6 Passat. I will try to get in the attic and double check the part numbers over the weekend.
    PZ likes this.

Neutral
    Subscribed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information