Fuel recommendations - 2015 Passat

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fuel recommendations - 2015 Passat

Neutral

Question Fuel recommendations - 2015 Passat

So just bought a brand new 2015 Passat TSI SE and had a question on the fuel. I know on the gas tank door it suggests Regular Unleaded, however would it be ok to still put Premium fuel in seeing it has the turbo? I know it doesn't have to have it but just want to have the car in top shape without causing issues. Yes/No or maybe every other fill up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    You are wasting you money putting premium in the NWS passat TSI. It's DESIGNED to run on that. It's not like it's harming it running on that. It IS top shape on 87.

If you did a tune in the engine, THEN you would want 91 or higher.

As is, run the 87. It runs like a Champ all day on 87.

Congrats by the way.

(surprised I am on both boards? )

Do what the gas door says. If you're worried about detergents, throw a bottle of injector cleaner in every once in a while
    Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
    You are wasting you money putting premium in the NWS passat TSI. It's DESIGNED to run on that. It's not like it's harming it running on that. It IS top shape on 87.

Congrats by the way.

Haha! Funny!

Thanks again!! Really do appreciate it!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post

Congrats by the way.

Ditto - waste of money for premium. Funny how people won't believe what they're told, or what they read in the manual, on the fuel filler door, etc. But I also "heard from somebody" to not believe everything you see or read on the internet either!

1st Gear

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jhinsc View Post
    Ditto - waste of money for premium. Funny how people won't believe what they're told, or what they read in the manual, on the fuel filler door, etc. But I also "heard from somebody" to not believe everything you see or read on the internet either!
    I would like to add here, "The rest of the story"..I know that all of our fuel (here) comes from Refineries up in Puget Sound. It is either Regular OR Premium, pumped Southward to the Greater Portland Area where it is stored in huge tank farms. The fuel comes down the SAME pipe from the refinery, which, means, that at certain times there is a mixture of both ingredients in the same pipe, right??

I also know that the valve switching happens at the refinery end. And automatic valves do not shift quickly. So, there will be times when the Premium is cut with some amount of Regular.

The refinery tries to only mix Premium into the Regular fuel but they cannot guarantee it.
    No harm, no foul.

To actually put Premium Fuel into the Regular is how the Gas Station makes MId-Grade Octane gas.

AT THE PUMP, the difference is in the Additives put in by the tank truck driver when he dumps a load of fresh fuel..."Tier One" companies supply fuel with the most expensive additives in it. It is reflected in the price you pay at the pump...

The way that the Octane readings are monitored is very slack in my State of Washington..87 octane can be as low as only 85 octane and STILL be able to be sold legally, labeled as 87 Octane...it is not a good deal because there is no one checking it AT THE POINT OF SALE...sure, the State Dept of Weights and Measures and it does check for the pumps accuracy, BUT not for Octane..

For those engines that NEED Premium fuel to resist knocking and pinging, such as the VR-6 in the Passat SELs, you will find that it does run OK on regular fuel, but at what cost?? One ping or knock "Heard" by the knock sensor, will yank timing out of the motor, to "protect it" from hole-ling a piston or worse. The knock sensor circuit is quick to pull out timing advance and very slow to add it back into the timing tables...

I will always put Premium fuel in our 2.5 Liter, it doesn't "need" it, I know, but it is the only real way to maximum timing advance with maximum power output. IMHO.

But to anyone that would ever expect MY wife to always pump Premium into a rig that needs it, is a real stretch. It ain't happening....
    Last edited by steady eddie; 04-13-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    passatfred likes this.

And that's what happens when you think about it too hard.
    Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by steady eddie View Post
    ....I will always put Premium fuel in our 2.5 Liter, it doesn't "need" it, I know, but it is the only real way to maximum timing advance with maximum output. IMHO.....
    Logic is flawed in your statement. Newer engines that require premium will have knock sensors that can retard the timing if the octane level isn't up to par for what it needs to prevent damage, however, engines that are made to run on regular WON'T advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane. Its a waste of money, but like I say to my clients, I'm not about to stop you from spending your money on upgrades, meaning something of higher quality or finish that you can touch and feel. It's your decision, but in this case you're spending $'s on something that provides you nothing in return for it.

1st Gear
    Logic is flawed in your statement. Newer engines that require premium will have knock sensors that can retard the timing if the octane level isn't up to par for what it needs to prevent damage, however, engines that are made to run on regular WON'T advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane. Its a waste of money, but like I say to my clients, I'm not about to stop you from spending your money on upgrades, meaning something of higher quality or finish that you can touch and feel. It's your decision, but in this case you're spending $'s on something that provides you nothing in return for it.
    jh-in-sc--

The ROI can be huge..for a handful of nickels you are damn near guaranteed that your vehicle (regardless of brand) will run, as designed, every time you press down on the gas pedal..

No knocking and no pinging, as long as you buy Top Tier Premium fuel.

Neutral
    we run 87 octane and it performs great with zero knocking or pinging.

Neutral
    +1..smooth as silk on 87, thank you

Neutral
    steadyeddie,

Your comments are based on "conspiracy theory type thinking" that if you DON'T use premium, you MAY damage the engine. You can do what you want, but the 2.5 ltr is a very old and reliable design, while boring, it's very robust, and specifically designed so it can't take advantage of anything higher than 87 octane. IF the gas happens to be a little under 87, no problem, it will electronically adjust the timing to prevent damage. You can do some research and come up with zero facts to based your conclusions on.

FYI - the additives for gas is mixed together when it's pumped into the delivery truck tanker, depending on the brand and octane level that driver will be delivering that day. I recently asked my cousin who recently retired as a truck driver who delivered fuel for almost 20 years, if he did the mixing of additives as he pumped into the station's underground tanks and how much did he know to add? He said no, he didn't do any mixing, he just delivered it. The depot storing the fuel would add the additives needed based on the brand/octane level needed he would be delivering that day as they filled up his truck. He didn't deliver regular and premium on the same truck load - it was either/or.

Neutral
    just a note, we ARE talking about the 1.8t and not the 2.5L.... altho the answers are the same it seems

1st Gear
    steadyeddie,

Your comments are based on "conspiracy theory type thinking" that if you DON'T use premium, you MAY damage the engine. You can do what you want, but the 2.5 ltr is a very old and reliable design, while boring, it's very robust, and specifically designed so it can't take advantage of anything higher than 87 octane. IF the gas happens to be a little under 87, no problem, it will electronically adjust the timing to prevent damage. You can do some research and come up with zero facts to based your conclusions on.

FYI - the additives for gas is mixed together when it's pumped into the delivery truck tanker, depending on the brand and octane level that driver will be delivering that day. I recently asked my cousin who recently retired as a truck driver who delivered fuel for almost 20 years, if he did the mixing of additives as he pumped into the station's underground tanks and how much did he know to add? He said no, he didn't do any mixing, he just delivered it. The depot storing the fuel would add the additives needed based on the brand/octane level needed he would be delivering that day as they filled up his truck. He didn't deliver regular and premium on the same truck load - it was either/or.
    Jh-in-sc--

I don't remember saying that you will damage the engine *IF* you use
    Regular fuel in it. The VR-6 is a high compression engine that DOES require Premium fuel.

From your post: The Tank farm DOES add the additives, like I posted, the additives are added after the fuel gets to the tank farm. Depends solely on the end seller's brand.
    *Who* adds what/when matters little..when the fuel enters the tank farm from the refinery it is basically all the same product. There is no such thing as "cut rate gas", at least not here in SW Washington St.

The timing tables within the ECU in the V-W are retarded as the octane is reduced...

*If* the octane has been reduced to say 85 Octane, it WILL retard the timing to compensate. At this time (pun here) the power falls off and the coolant temperature shoots up. I want NO power loss of any amount, simply because we don't have a ton of power to deal with here. My wife doesn't care or remains ignorant of these things. She will always put whatever Regular is the cheapest in the Passat, and smile from ear to ear, each time the remote start works.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by steady eddie View Post
    jh-in-sc--

The ROI can be huge..for a handful of nickels you are damn near guaranteed that your vehicle (regardless of brand) will run, as designed, every time you press down on the gas pedal..

No knocking and no pinging, as long as you buy Top Tier Premium fuel.
    If a gas station sells 85-octane posted as 87-octane, I’d suggest you find a more reputable station. I’d wager to say that 99.9999% of gasoline posted as 87-octane is actually 87-octane. If you believe your engine pings on regular fuel, and does not have an engine problem, and elect to use premium fuel, it does not matter if it is top tier premium. All 93-octane fuel resists detonation equally. By definition it must. The superior additives in top tier fuel will absolutely keep your fuel injectors clean, but that is a separate subject.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by baldeagle1 View Post
    If a gas station sells 85-octane posted as 87-octane, I’d suggest you find a more reputable station. I’d wager to say that 99.9999% of gasoline posted as 87-octane is actually 87-octane. If you believe your engine pings on regular fuel, and does not have an engine problem, and elect to use premium fuel, it does not matter if it is top tier premium. All 93-octane fuel resists detonation equally. By definition it must. The superior additives in top tier fuel will absolutely keep your fuel injectors clean, but that is a separate subject.
    85 octane gas is typically sold in high altitude areas like Denver, CO and along the Rocky Mtn range and premium is typically at 89-90 instead of 91-93. The fuel pumps are labeled as such too. If you find or see 85 octane in low altitude areas, something is not right.

1st Gear
    85 octane gas is typically sold in high altitude areas like Denver, CO and along the Rocky Mtn range and premium is typically at 89-90 instead of 91-93. The fuel pumps are labeled as such too. If you find or see 85 octane in low altitude areas, something is not right.
    ===
    jc..(in sc)--

Thank you for that post, I did not know that there was ANY 85 octane gas sold as such...

My comments about the 85 Octane fuel, sold here as 87 octane, came from the WSDOT's web page, and I was shocked to read about it.

I come from a background of Big Block Chevys installed into Motorcoaches, and since 1996, they have had
    OBD2 ECU programming in them. In 1998 they installed a new system where the gas pedal was not mechanically attached to the engine, "drive-by-wire" they called it.

I found the same set-up in our new-to-us Passat SEL.

Anyhow, one of the "features" of the (GM Powertrain) programming is spark retard/advance based on coolant temperature, and intake manifold temperature, as well as fuel octane.

It (the ECU) will run as much timing advance as possible, based upon what the knock (and temperature) sensors are reporting back to it.

Enter Mr. Kenn Bell, of Blown Big Block Chevy drag boat fame, and he ran some numbers on spark retard
    vs. power output on his shop dyno...and he found that for each and every degree of timing retard there was a LOSS of about 4 horsepower. This was on a Normally Aspirated 454...

I found that "my" own 1998 BBC was the biggest dog on the on ramp I had ever seen. It was running about 4 and a half degrees RETARDED on the timing....

After doing the math, that was a Net Power Loss of some 16-plus HP.

This was a loss that you could feel in the old butt dyno.

I fixed it..

Now you know why engine fuel octane is so important...
    Last edited by steady eddie; 04-13-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Neutral
    I Run 89 or 93 on my 2014 passat 1.8t wolfsburg. never used 87~~~~

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by singsing View Post
    I Run 89 or 93 on my 2014 passat 1.8t wolfsburg. never used 87~~~~
    and...I could add, it does run real good, too.

Cool, tight, and strong.

S.E.

Neutral
    APR 1.8 TSI Gen3 ECU Upgrade

Anybody see this yet? It could be a very strong argument to use premium fuel. According to APR, on 87-octane the stock 1.8T produces 170hp. But on 93-octane – this is without a tune – still a stock 1.8T - it produces 189 hp. Their numbers.

If true it would imply the 1.8T pulls a lot of timing on 87-octane. It can run safely on low octane by doing that. But with 93-octane the ignition timing apparently stays more aggressive and unleashes about 20 more hp. For those who run 93-octane, can you feel any difference from 87-octane?

1st Gear
    baldeagle1---

Nice find-well done!!

As they say, your results may vary, LOL..

But once the ECU "sees" the higher octane, and after the better additives have cleaned all the crap out of the fuel system (from the tank to the fuel injectors) everyone should be pleased with the results....

This tuning outfit charges $599 for their Stage One tune, which seems a bit much, to me anyhow, but then I am Old School....

A word of caution, however. *If* you should have an issue with the drivetrain and need Warranty work done, just be prepared to have your claim be denied by VOA. Why? Because some of the parameters, ones that "protect" VW's warranty (the RPM limiter for example), have been changed out by the new tune. The changes leave a track even though they night be changed back to OE specs..date and time stamps will get you every time.

Of course the work-around for all this is to have a spare OE ECU to swap in..but doing the swap could be difficult, if not impossible, once your vehicle is on the roll back and is headed for the VW shop.

Once again, I'd bet the software would tell the Tech that the ECU had been changed out...a "born on date"-----just like on a can of BUD...

S.E.
    Last edited by steady eddie; 04-18-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Neutral
    In terms of tuning potential, performance enthusiasts can turn VW turbos into beasts, provided they have the money. On my old GTI forum MANY of those owners tuned the ECU for bigger turbo chargers and much higher boost (K04), larger intercoolers, higher octane, intakes, downpipes, exhaust, etc. and turned their GTIs into 11 second qtr. sleepers. But then again I believe the GTI motors came with forged cranks and rods for excess punishment – not sure about the 1.8T.

My point was less about the amazing potential of VW engines and more about stock settings. I’ve seen this before in other cars. Engineers design the engines to run right on the cusp of requiring premium fuel. They use all the tricks they can to max out power and then tweak it back just a little bit so they can MARKET the car as being able to run on less expensive regular fuel. (It’s all about sale’s numbers)

The truth is these engines MAY ping a little on regular even though the manual states it is designed for it. In effect the ECU may constantly back off the timing. Honda is in the same boat. Their stock V6 engines are “designed” for regular but make about 10 more hp on premium. The reason is the engine CONSTANTLY pulls timing just a little bit on regular but does not on premium.

It is extremely possible VW does the same thing – as perhaps do other cars. That APR test was very revealing to me. A 20hp gain by simply running premium in a stock engine? That tells me the VW 1.8T may also constantly pull timing on regular but not on premium – by design. For those drivers who like more power, wouldn’t it be nice to confirm this? An extra 20hp for a view bucks more per tank – and possibly better fuel mileage too. In counter balance most drivers won’t feel 10 or 20 hp in regular driving, but may appreciate the savings of cheaper regular fuel at the pumps. But wouldn’t it be nice to know if that extra power is really there?

1st Gear
    My experience with the OBD2 system tends to lead some credence to the claims made by APR...

True the VW programming IS different, but 4-cycle engine dynamics don't change that much.

The "points" of temperature measurement at which the (GM) ECU begins to yank out the timing advance is critical. They are: coolant temp, 100 * C. and ambient temp 30* C. (you will note that the motor "pulls" harder on a cool rainy day)..

For example: The OBD2 GM Powertrain Group's findings are interesting, with the weak part being always the transmission (and a source of Warranty problems). As you pointed out, any tuner can produce enough power to literally tie the trans into knots and destroy it.

BUT--what if you could "tune" the engine WITHOUT altering the OEM settings in any way??

A Mechanical Work-around for an Electronic Problem??

S.E.
    Last edited by steady eddie; 04-20-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Neutral
    Filling up with Premium is always just 3-5 bucks more per fill up depending on prices. So to me it's not worth worrying about. Besides, I own a 3.6L version so Premium is my only choice lol.

1st Gear
    ABerri--

You are right, money is not the issue here..run-ability is.

You would see a difference if you followed some basic tuning recommendations.

I/we could not depend on my wife to do "the right thing" at the gas pump, so we bought
    the base motor...the 2.5 five cylinder.

But, if you can get your big block V-6 to run just a few degrees cooler, you will see big dividends..it needs a cooler thermostat to run with out pulling any timing out.

You can have your cake and eat it, too.

We discovered the 180* F. t-stat option for the 454 Chevy engine and was amazed at the difference.

What needs to be done is to find a t-stat of the right range that will fit in the V-W engine.

After looking at this issue since last July, (when we bought our SEL) I have found that the OE 2.5 Liter OE t-stat is already at 176* F., but at the same time it CONTROLS at 190* F., which is puzzling to me..the V-W parts houses DO list a t-stat that is listed at 160* F. which may be too cool...
    Last edited by steady eddie; 04-25-2015 at 12:53 PM.

1st Gear
    Here is a link to a thread over on RV.net---one that shows the kind of response that you get when discussing the use of a cooler t-stat..please note the posters did not know about the timing retard issue, and it took until post # 100 before some brave soul finally mentioned it..

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/180-d...at-119725.html

Go right to the last page and scroll down to the post...

S.E.

PZ
    Redline
    I guess they also don't know about engine efficiency either as a higher running temp is also more efficient. False savings due to compromising for an under-designed cooling system.

That said, even my 2.8 V6 was more responsive with 93 than 89 or 91. The higher temps down here have a drastic effect as there is much less power in the summer than the rest of the year.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    I guess they also don't know about engine efficiency either as a higher running temp is also more efficient. False savings due to compromising for an under-designed cooling system.

That said, even my 2.8 V6 was more responsive with 93 than 89 or 91. The higher temps down here have a drastic effect as there is much less power in the summer than the rest of the year.
    PZ--

Thank you for your thoughtful post..

But..I disagree with some of it. #1. I do agree that engines that run hotter, have greater efficiency, but at what cost?? <meaning is hot running ever a real benefit?? Spark retard only benefits the car mfg. bottom line, which is (I guess) a good thing. How much retard is something that is "built-in" by the engineers tasked with making warranty claims as small as possible. The OBD 2 System can pull as much as 22 degrees of timing out, if your ambient temperature goes above 86* F. This explains why (in the summer Texas heat) your car often runs worse in the afternoon vs. how it ran in the cool of the morning.

#2. We can do something about the "under-designed" cooling system in our cars. We can make sure that is in top-notch condition. Water cools better than coolant, a known fact. A 70-30 mix (instead of a 50- 50 mix) will cool it even better and will protect it from freezing down to about 15 degrees above zero. If you live in a cold climate, you may need that 50-50 mix. Have the radiator cap tested, too.

With the addition of a cooler t-stat, you will find that "blast of heat in the face" is long gone, whenever you open the hood. Everything under the hood (that is made of plastic or rubber) will last far longer than before. We are only taking about a small reduction of heat here, some 10 or 15 degrees total. But each and every component will see it.

S.E.
    Last edited by steady eddie; 05-03-2015 at 11:01 AM.

PZ
    Redline
    I meant the RV crowd with the under-designed cooling system. A colder running engine and less timing both hurt performance. Colder running can damage the engine long term as it can cause cylinder wash from incomplete combustion, which in turn increases cylinder wear and eventually dilutes the oil.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    I meant the RV crowd with the under-designed cooling system. A colder running engine and less timing both hurt performance. Colder running can damage the engine long term as it can cause cylinder wash from incomplete combustion, which in turn increases cylinder wear and eventually dilutes the oil.
    PZ---

Not to worry...the O2 sensor will "see" the mix is wrong and cut it back. The entire fuel injection system is constantly breaking it's little back trying to get the system into closed loop control asap. It happens when the idle speed kicks down to normal on a cold start up.

No oil dilution either...every thing is a positive...it is true that a colder running engine and less timing will hurt performance..but..a cooler running engine running at maximum allowable timing advance will surprise you..colder air is much more dense, packing more fuel into each power stroke. <this is why the gas mileage figures may fall off some, a trade off.

S.E.
    Last edited by steady eddie; 05-05-2015 at 03:44 PM.

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information