Fuel recommendations - 2015 Passat - Page 2

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fuel recommendations - 2015 Passat

Neutral
    I ran 87 and decided to switch to 91 (they don't have 93 where I live). I noticed a huge difference. I have a 15 passat with the 1.8 and a 5 speed. It not only has more power but it noticeably drives better. I don't have to Rev as high in 1st to keep it from stalling or bogging down on take off. It's definitely worth the extra $4 it was on fill up imo. I'm also getting another 5mpg highway on my commute to work so it pretty much pays for itself. If you're using 87, I suggest using premium and see the for yourself. I wasn't expecting to see such a big difference.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    wadlum22---

Thank you!!

Your post says it all, but seeing how your rig is a manual, does it even "lug" down better??

Steady Eddie

1st Gear
    I've been putting 87 octane regular in my '14 1.8T TSI (with the auto trans) since I bought the car, and it's been running just fine. Even on that octane level, my B7 still runs circles around the performance & gas mileage I got out of my 2005 B5.5. That's due to the complete redesign VW did to that particular engine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    I started out running 87 in my 2015 B7 but after trying a tank of 93 I'm sticking with 93. It ran fine on 87 but to me it's worth a few extra bucks to get some extra performance. I understand why so many people believe that the 1.8Tsi engine won't benefit from higher octane fuel based on prevalent knowledge of older engine management systems but IMO today's ECU's are capable of adapting to a much wider range of operating parameters than ever before.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by passatfred View Post
    I started out running 87 in my 2015 B7 but after trying a tank of 93 I'm sticking with 93. It ran fine on 87 but to me it's worth a few extra bucks to get some extra performance. I understand why so many people believe that the 1.8Tsi engine won't benefit from higher octane fuel based on prevalent knowledge of older engine management systems but IMO today's ECU's are capable of adapting to a much wider range of operating parameters than ever before.
    I can respect that, my friend, but I need to save money wherever I can. And since my '14 TSI outperforms my '05 B5.5 on 87, I'm sticking with the less expensive gas. But enjoy the increased performance you get with the 93 octane!
    passatfred likes this.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I can respect that, my friend, but I need to save money wherever I can. And since my '14 TSI outperforms my '05 B5.5 on 87, I'm sticking with the less expensive gas. But enjoy the increased performance you get with the 93 octane!
    I understand completely. The car runs just fine on 87.

Interestingly, on the VW website the Jetta's 1.8 Tsi performance figures contain a footnote that reads as follows:

"Performance specifications based on manufacturer's ratings achieved with premium fuel"

Oddly, there is no footnote attached to the Passat 1.8 Tsi performance figures. I thought the Jetta and Passat shared the same 1.8 Tsi engine? I'd love to know what the reality is here. Are the different model's engines really tuned differently or did the website editor make a mistake?

I went back to the VW website and checked other models with the 1.8 Tsi engine. The Golf, Golf Sport Wagon and Jetta all have the same footnote attached to the 170 hp figure but the Passat and Beetle do not. Seems a little odd to me.
    Last edited by passatfred; 10-15-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by jhinsc View Post
    85 octane gas is typically sold in high altitude areas like Denver, CO and along the Rocky Mtn range and premium is typically at 89-90 instead of 91-93. The fuel pumps are labeled as such too. If you find or see 85 octane in low altitude areas, something is not right.
    I just bought a 2016 Passat SE 1.8L turbo (not sure if it's a B7) and am wondering if it's ok to use 85 octane gasoline instead of the 87 noted in the manual. I live north of Denver at an elevation of about 4800 feet.

TIA.

Neutral
    I think I found the answer.

The sale of 85 octane fuel was originally allowed in high-elevation regions—where the barometric pressure is lower—because it was cheaper and because most carbureted engines tolerated it fairly well. This is not true for modern gasoline engines. So, unless you have an older vehicle with a carbureted engine, you should use the manufacturer-recommended fuel for your vehicle, even where 85 octane fuel is available.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    I meant the RV crowd with the under-designed cooling system. A colder running engine and less timing both hurt performance. Colder running can damage the engine long term as it can cause cylinder wash from incomplete combustion, which in turn increases cylinder wear and eventually dilutes the oil.
    I know - old post, but.

In our race engines we find a power benefit to running coolant at a lower temperature. It reduces combustion chamber temperatures, which allows more aggressive timing and fueling. The engine builder suggested it (builds a lot of top level drag and sprint car motors, as well as a few national championship competitive VW road race motors) based on their V8 experience. I also like the piece of mind to keep oil temps just a bit lower. So - how is this relevant to this thread and my daily driven 1.8tsi you may ask? It just illustrates that efficiency does not necessarily equate to power. If you are concerned with the latter, I would use more octane and lower coolant temperature. However be aware that this may affect efficiency, and will affect emissions to some degree, as emission control systems operate best once when at target operating temperature.

In my case, I just installed a 93 tune, and use that fuel. Everything else stock, it is more than enough for a 1 wheel drive commuter car.

Also - I'd like to see a single example of "cylinder wash from incomplete combustion" caused by running a colder t-stat in a 1.8tsi, or a motor home V-10.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information