Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Oil pressure light

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Tomvw 
#1 ·
My oil pressure light keeps coming on between 20 mph and 45 mph on my 2010 Passat 2.0 turbo. Oil pressure has been mechanically checked and new oil pressure switch has been installed. Engine runs fine. What to do ?

#2 ·
What engine speed (rpm) does the light first come on, then possibly go back off?

Typically, for a malfunctioning oil high-pressure switch, the warning light will come on around ~2,400 rpm and go back off around 2,600 to 2,700rpm.

It was the high pressure switch that was replaced (presumptively) given those road speeds. What pressures were you seeing and why was the original switch replaced?

One more thing...the warning light only occurs after the engine oil has warmed up, right?

#6 ·
If the light comes on consistently at say ~1600 plus/minus 50 rpm then goes off at ~2050 plus/minus 50 rpm, that's a sign your high oil pressure switch is functioning correctly and you have other issues (excess rod or main bearing clearance(s) due to wear).

If you haven't owned the car since new, the P.O. may have run the car for ~15K - 20K or longer with the original oil fill.:crazy: I'm thinking a leased car needs receipts when it gets turned in to prove the leasee didn't pull this type of "stunt". Never leased, so I'm not sure about it.

#7 ·
From 99000 miles to 103000 miles I have spent close to 4000.00$ on this engine.(rear main seal,pvc valve,cam sensor,water pump,valve cover seal etc..)It seems like every time fix something then something else goes wrong. I don't trust the car any more. My mechanic is at a loss because we cant figure this light out. I will give him this info. Can I continue to drive the car as normal since I know it has good pressure?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.