Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Help me locate this special bolt to remove rear discs!

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DMitch16 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

My VW passat B6 (2007) both rear calipers have failed. Rubber case has worn off and dust into the pistons making it very hard to retract fully. Because of this the car was slow to drive cause the brakes cannot fully retract after deploying and sort of holding on to the discs. So I went and purchased both calipers, new discs and pads. But I'm having a big problem trying to remove the bolt holding the discs in the rear. The bolt is sitting inside and it looks like this;

Tire Automotive tire Auto part

Is this some sort of special bolt? (I have one similar to this for my wheels so no one can steal them without the special bolt) and where can I get it? ebay?

Thank you very much for your help.:(

See less See more
#3 ·
The carrier bolts are 14mm triple square (M14) and will only come out with that correct triple square bit.
Plus some penetrating oil overnight perhaps.
The carrier bolts are VW part #: N-911-689-01, at $4.38 a piece
M14 Bolts (brake carrier to wheel bearing housing): 90 Nm + 90 deg [66 ft-lb + 90 deg] (use new bolts)

#6 ·
The problem is not the torque but the fact that the caliper bolts stick out the other side of the hub behind the disc guards. Over time the ends corode and make it a PITA to free them. I had a 25 degree angle bend going on with the regular extension bar when I did the rears on a 2010 model - they finally cracked off I am assuming just before my bar was about to snap! They are part of the safety system so the high torque is an overkill to be a safe bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.