Is there any PM that can be done to minimize Carbon Build Up in 2.0T engines?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SAVwKO

Thread: Is there any PM that can be done to minimize Carbon Build Up in 2.0T engines?

1st Gear

Is there any PM that can be done to minimize Carbon Build Up in 2.0T engines?

A few months ago I had the VW dealer perform the upper intake valve cleaning ritual on my 08 2.0T at about 95K, I understand this is related to our engines being direct injection and the fuel and fuel additives in the fuel do not flow over the intake valves to help keep them clean. A catch can system can help reduce this problem but they can be expensive and require some minimal reconfiguration of the PCV system.

What pondering has been given to a way to clean the upper intakes periodically like every 5K miles in a way that is not harmful to the engine and can easily be done at oil change intervals?

Here is what I have been thinking about and looking for opinions of my fellow Passat owners.

Can the PCV hose going into the intake be disconnected and will the car run with this hose off?

If the PCV hose going to the intake can be removed, can something be sprayed into that opening like Seafoam or Techtron Fuel System cleaner without harming the engine while it is running?

If you put something like the above two products into a device that would spray out a fine mist, maybe an airbrush spray gun, could you possibly minimize the carbon build up on our engines?

Feel free to tell me you think I'm crazy or if this idea has legs????

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    From my understanding of the subject, no one really knows what causes the build up. There are various theories, but they all seem to contradict each other. Me personally, I would suggest driving it like a rented mule at least once a week, together with regular Techron treatment (and only top tier gas of course) and maybe the occasional seafoam. I think in reality though there is nothing you can do stop it from happening, simply prolong the time it takes to reach a level that would cause an issue for you.

1st Gear
    With direct injection the fuel goes into the combustion chamber directly and does not flow through the upper intake chamber therefor the additives they put in our gasoline to help keep the combustion chamber clean does not clean the upper intake.
    http://wynns.net/wp-content/uploads/...osol-23079.pdf

Add to this the PCV system recirculates the gases back into the engine through intake manifold and then through the upper intake chamber leaving deposits on the valves and intake chamber.

There are a lot of advantages of direct injection but this carbon build up is a disadvantage.

2nd Gear
    I don't think a misting system would "rinse" the valves well enough. BG has a system which claims it will rinse things off every 5k miles, but I haven't seen a lot of followup verification that it works as advertised.

Neutral
    I've read people pull the intake air temp sensor and use that port for Seafoam'ing.

Other than the catch can, running water/methanol injection would be the only other way to help. I cleaned my valves at 190k and they looked pretty gunky however there was no signs of it needing it. I've since then been running a 42 Draft catch can setup. The only other device putting carbon into the manifold would be the EVAP system but I'd bet that's minor compared to crankcase ventilation.

Neutral
    Whats the recommended mileage that we have this done?

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVwKO View Post
    (snip) I've since then been running a 42 Draft catch can setup. The only other device putting carbon into the manifold would be the EVAP system but I'd bet that's minor compared to crankcase ventilation.
    Looked at both Forge catch can (expensive but nicely made) and Forge block off plate (one piece milling) in the summer. Dunno whether block off plate is a good idea. Like, where does all the gunk in the positive crankcase vapours go? Do you notice any adverse effects with using a catch can? MPG? Stock here, just Stage1 Superchips remap

Neutral
    I'm running the 42DD Stealth setup, which doesn't turn the PCV plate into a block-off plate. You still have the OEM crinkle hose connection coming up from the oil filter housing attaching to their plate, and then the can is inline to the rear connection on the turbo inlet. By plugging the port on the intake manifold, you are circulating ALL of the ventilation into the turbo inlet. This isn't a bad thing, however if you have an upgraded intake on the car you will want to remove the check valve from the rear PCV hose. It's clamped to the rear of the valve cover and then bolts to the turbo inlet. Remove the hose, press the check valve out from one side (I think it actually breaks out), and then reinstall the hose. If you leave the valve in you'll hear what sounds like popcorn when you're at idle rpm. See back before the catch can was installed, the OEM PCV system also had a connection at the intake manifold. When you're at idle, the vacuum in the intake manifold drew the ventilation out, and the check valve at the rear hose connection was closed. But with the intake manifold plugged, that check valve wants to stay closed at idle however the crankcase ventilation keeps pushing it open to vent and that's why you get the noise. If you just pop it out, you're set.
    RichardSEL likes this.

2nd Gear
    Thanks for the info!

From 42DD's Catch can kit page for Golf MkV FSI: "eliminate harmful PCV gunk in your intake"
    Mk5 FSI Stealth Oil Catch Can Solution

(Following day)
    Had an e-mail overnight from 42DD confirming that this is the kit for 2.0L tFSI BWA
    Guess this is the same for BPY but you'd need to confirm before purchase $265 +s&h

Drats! Was over in MD a month ago. Now retired so not going back. For me this'd
    mean +USPS +VAT @20%...
    Last edited by RichardSEL; 12-14-2013 at 02:49 AM. Reason: catch can kit

1st Gear
    kpierce1986 there is no recommended interval to get this carbon build up cleaning on the intake valves done, in my case the MIL was on due to misfire codes and and after replacing plugs and coil packs it was still there and especially present on cold starts after car had been sitting more than 4 hours. My 08 Passat had about 93K at the time.

You lose performance and gas mileage over a fairly long period and it was amazing how well car ran after the upper intake cleaning was done.

Neutral
    Thanks PassatBobNY, I"m at 68000 in my 08 and have been contemplating getting it done since theres a few other recommended services at 70k. How much does this service usually cost?

1st Gear
    I had intake cleaning done at my VW dealer, ran about $600.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information