Timing Belt Replaced

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Timing Belt Replaced

Not wanting to believe the manual on when to replace the timing belt, (120,000) miles, I was proactive and just had mine changed this week. 74,893 miles and 5 years on my 2007. I do not drive the car hard, so I wanted to see what the outcome would be. The original belt looks great, no wear, cracking or damaged "teeth". The belt was made by Dayco, probably to VW/ Audi specifications. Plugs were Bosche with no visible wear and all 4 were burning clean. The water pump was starting to show some signs of wear, the new pump is full metal, not plastic. I am using NGK plugs this time. I hope to still get the 33 plus highway MPG that I was getting before. Hope this helps anyone out...

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Skips - Good to know that belt looked good etc. I have 79K on my '07 and also drive car easy but had planned to change around 100k. Did you do it or dlr/indy? How much was the service & did whose TB kit did you use?

Tks

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by SKM348 View Post
    Skips - Good to know that belt looked good etc. I have 79K on my '07 and also drive car easy but had planned to change around 100k. Did you do it or dlr/indy? How much was the service & did whose TB kit did you use?

Tks
    . The cost here in N E Georgia, done by a high rated indy was $801.53, the kit was provided by WorldPac, and I am familiar with their products.

Neutral
    Great report. I'm in a very similar situation. Thinking of pushing it closer to 90k though. Pretty good price too for $800.

33 mpg is pretty good. What speed do you average on the hwy? 70-75? I do 80 and get around 28-29 mpg.

Neutral
    I just did mine on Saturday at 86,000 mi. Started at 9 and had the new belt in place at 11:30 (despite a slight hangover) with the help of my brother-in-law who works at a body shop. Took a few hours off to attend my daughters dance recital and put everything back together in about an hour by myself. Worst part was getting the lower motor mount bracket out by the lower dust cover; ended up cracking the upper left tab of the cover in the process. After pricing the parts locally ended up going with the ECS kit which included everything necessary to complete the job including new stretch bolts.
    Aside from a slight discoloration there was very little difference from the OEM belt to the replacement after 86,000 miles. Did the water pump and accessory belt as well while I was in there, the kit included a cam seal but I opted to leave mine as it was not leaking. Total cost was $279.95 plus a $3 #27 torx bit because my screwdriver type was too long to clear.

1st Gear
    Glad to hear you guys got your belts done!!!

Neutral
    My highway average is about 70MPH, and that is with the A/C turned on. The only problem I am having with the car is rear tire cupping, which, from what I am led to believe is a problem for the Passat and a couple of other models.

Neutral
    I just had my belt replaced at VW dealer in Michigan. Im from Canada and it was almost 50% cheaper to get it done in US. They replaced both idlers, tensioner, water pump, belt and refilled coolant. $944 tax included. In the invoice it did not mention any strech bolts or anything else. Just parts mentioned above.

I didn't do it myself because its f......cold outside, I had noise coming form the tensioner and didn't want to risk it by waiting for warmer weather. The time was a big issue for me as well. They had it done in about 4h. Charged me for 4 h of labor.

I'm very mechanicaly inclined so it hurt me even more that I had to give this amount of money to someone to work on my car when I could have had it done for 1/3 of that. In either case its all holding up after just a few hundred km after the job. Hope it stays that way. Another reason I took it to the dealer is if something goes wrong with the belt I have someone to blame. Not noble, but it is what it is. They need to stand behind their work.

I did not see the replaced parts, but they told me it could have gone "more". It was replaced at 124,000km I guess it depends on driving style as well. I rarely push it hard. Its mainly driven in a very gentle manner.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information