2008 Passat 2.0T: FSI vs TSI. How big an issue?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2008 Passat 2.0T: FSI vs TSI. How big an issue?

I know this issue has been discussed in other forums, but before I put money down on a 2008 Lux, do you feel the FSI vs TSI engine is significant, and should I search for one that has the TSI? The comments that I've read indicate that the TSI is a more reliable engine. Comments or advice?

TIA,
    RJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Alot of people will say that the difference is substantial. The biggest thing I see between the two is the TFSI (TSI) has a timing CHAIN vs. a timing BELT. Personally, I am not to worried, I have an 08 FSI 6 m/t. I did buy with a 2 year warranty and that was a huge factor for me. Personally, I would say that it isn't too big of a deal between the two motors. If you look at reliability now, compared to 10 years ago, nothing is too unreliable anyway.

Neutral
    This kind of situations you do wonder why the Golf R and Scirroco R's engine are still TFSI's.

Neutral
    I believe (correct me if im wrong) that the 2008.5 and up passat TSI is still technically the TFSI motor. I havent done too much research into it since it's not my exact motor (just know differences mostly).

Most websites and places for passats will say "FSI" or "TFSI" for the engine selection.

3rd Gear
    The biggest diff as pointed out is the timing belt vs chain. Sure a chain is better than a belt, but a chain still has tensioners that wear out, just like on a car with a belt. My FSI just turned over 100,000km and is running like a swiss watch.

Neutral
    My 2008 2.0T is a TSI. Having never owned the FSI version I can't really say if it's a huge difference. Perhaps from a maintenance standpoint as others have pointed out with the timing belt vs. chain... but I've read on Vortex about the FSI consuming more oil etc.

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information