Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Car Jerks When Accelerating at HWY speeds

79K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  STF 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Passat 2.0T with 84,xxx miles on it. When I am on the highway, maintaining constant speed (60+ MPH), and accelerate to pass, my car jerks. It isn't while downshifting, so I would speculate that it has nothing to do with the transmission. I took it to my dealership and they told me that they couldn't do anything to it until it tripped the CEL. When I am driving at City speeds this rarely ever happens no matter how fast I accelerate (although it has happend). It is almost like it isn't getting gas or like it's gasping for air. Once I steady the speed or slow down it goes away. It is not constant. Please help... any ideas?

#13 ·
Idk if the dv would be ur problem. But for the 2.0t this isn't correct. The dv for the 2.0t is located on the turbo housing and held on with 3 5mm hex bolts somthing you can change yourself pretty easily.

When this happens does your CEL flash at all? It may not stay on but it will flash.

Did you have the coil pack recall done tht was issued about a year ago?

Sent from my EVO

#6 ·
I have sort of a similar issue w/my 2007 2.0t as well. The difference between ur symptom and mine is that I don't get it when I pass on the highway, mine happens just when i'm getting off the hwy (just when I'm back on city road just as I exit the hwy). I experience this almost everyday and I have 55K miles on mine. Kind of scary but I sure pray it isn't anything bad.

#8 ·
Is it like a bad downshift of the gear? I have the same problem when I slow down to exit from highway, transmission can sometimes jerk quite bad on downshift. Changed the transmission oil and it is much better now; though it still happens occasionally. Mine is 6 speed non-DSG GB.

#9 ·
I had this same issue and it was a coil pack. I'd get a CEL but then the light would go out. It was still under warranty so the dealership fixed it.

Is it like a bad downshift of the gear? I have the same problem when I slow down to exit from highway, transmission can sometimes jerk quite bad on downshift. Changed the transmission oil and it is much better now; though it still happens occasionally. Mine is 6 speed non-DSG GB.
This sounds like the transmission down shifting hard. I thought I had received something from VW about this issue and that they were extending the warranty on it. I experience hard down shifts into 2nd and 3rd but haven't dealt with it yet. I need to though because I don't want it to become an issue and I just turned 61000 miles.

#14 ·
I'm not sure if that recall has been done, I have only had the car about a year. I wasn't aware of such recall. A few people have mentioned the coil packs and a few the DV. I will check in to the recall. The CEL came on once and then went off and I haven't seen it since, that has been about a month and a half ago. I had it hooked up to a diagnostic and it hadn't registered. Is there a DIY for the DV by any chance?

#17 ·
I had pretty much the same symptoms after I got my APR Stage 1 tune. Turned out to be one of the coil packs. I changed the plugs and the one coil pack and all was fine again. You state 84K miles and owned the car just one year. Do you know history of plugs and coil packs....when they were changed....ever changed? If never changed, that would be my first move.

#22 ·
Anyone has an update on this? My car (4 yrs and 3 mos old 2007 B6 (auto) ) continues to do this more now. I mean everyday. It happens as described in my 2 posts previously. Driving on the hwy speeds 65mph and up is fine. Most (95%) of my daily driving is done on the hwy. The moment I start slowing down to say 55/45 speed range (to get off the hwy), then I can feel the engine kicking into some kind of gear or kicking into some kind of mode. I kind of have to press the gas a bit to regain the bit of pwr loss when the car does this commotion thing. No dash CEL or any noise in the engine compartment but it's starting to worry me quite a bit considering the recalls, and extended warranties. I drive everyday to/fro work and I keep thinking hmm..may be this is a warning for me to ditch the car now before the problem shows its true identity.

On a side note, i'm considering the CC, A4 and Nissan Maxima but the thought of having to start all over again a car payment is what makes this so painful.

#26 ·
This a wild and seemingly impossible solution. On the B6 Passat the brake and the accelerator peddles are too close together. Many times when I stepped down with my triple E's on the accelerator I would accidently brushed the brake peddle. That's all it takes to return the engine to idle. There is an unintended acceleration circuit that automatically returns the engine to idle when the brake peddle is hit. It feels like a stall. If you step down again on the accelerator the circuit returns to normal accelerator function, provided you don't accidently brush the brake peddle again. That is why VW frowns on left foot breaking.

#27 ·
as far as this post goes I would go ahead and say it will be your Coil pack...like 90%

BUTTTTT On the 2.0T there has been a warranty extension on the High Pressure Fuel Pumps and the Intake Camshaft....(the other 10%)

if you change the Coil and filters and it is still doing this (and you are sure its not during shifting) I would have VW look at these things..

but def find someone with Vag-Com in your area :thumbup:

*Edit*
I don't know what the drive is from Ashland to Fort Campbell but if you can get there I can Vag ya :thumbup:

#29 ·
Sorry about not writing back to update, so far I have cleaned the fuel injectors and replaced the air filter (cheapest possibilities). I am ordering coil packs and will keep everyone updated. There was a sensor that was broke, I'm not sure what it is, I reattached it with tape, it could be that not being attached properly or maybe it went bad. It is the sensor under the right top corner of the dust shield. Does anyone know if this could be it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.