I'd like to remove my TPMS system if possible

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear

I'd like to remove my TPMS system if possible

Does anyone know where the TPMS module is located? I don't have a VAG COM to disable the TPMS nor is anyone near me that has one.

I have read that you can remove the sensors from the wheels and as long as there are no sensors within range of the module then it will not monitor altogether but no one ever confirmed this in the thread I saw it.

I'd rather not pay for new sensors $100+ ea, plus labor (I have at least one bad sensor). I'd rather monitor the pressure myself. The old fashioned way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    You can remove the sensors from your wheels but the system will recognize this as a "fault" and you will have a light on your dash.

The MFD will tell you on start up that your tire pressure is "too low" or something like that and the tire warning indicator on the dash will flash for a while and then stay on.

I don't have sensors on my 19's and this is the daily routine. As soon as I get some spare change, I'll get the cable and vag-com it and then won't have to deal with it again.

I can't seeing paying for the sensors when I check my tire pressure at least monthly (sometimes more). My MINI had the sensors mouted on the hubs and was a better system IMO.

2nd Gear
    So removing the sensors isn't going to do it for me. What about the idea of unplugging the TPMS control module -J502-?

Mentioned on bottom of page 1:
    http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/attach...8&d=1193177760

Neutral
    Best/cheapest bet is to find someone with Vag Com (might have to drive a little ways?) and throw them like $10 or $20 to turn it off

Takes 2 minutes & no labor or anything

Neutral
    looks like there's only 2 people near you with about a 3 hour drive. Probably be worth the day trip and a tank of gas than wasting money on sensors you don't want or risking taking something apart that might give you headaches down the road.

VAG Tool Locator

VWVortex.com - Vag-Com Locator searchable map style! Owners pm me your info requested in the thread

1st Gear
    I have tried to turn mine off with my vag com and it always comes back on. I clear the fault and it is instantly there again so I dont think you can disable them becasue they are mandatory on new cars

Neutral
    I believe there are 2 spots in vag-com that you have to change. My '09 never had it so I don't have the problem to verify.... This thread might help:
    Going to try indirect TPMS on an '09 - TDIClub Forums

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by fatninja View Post
    I have tried to turn mine off with my vag com and it always comes back on. I clear the fault and it is instantly there again so I dont think you can disable them becasue they are mandatory on new cars
    Yeah there's 2 ways of doing it....depending on which fault code/error you have

Do you have the low pressure light on the instrument cluster on?
    Or the "Low Tyre Pressure" in the MFD display?

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information