Timing Chain or Timing Belt 2007 2.0T Passat
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Timing Chain or Timing Belt 2007 2.0T Passat

Hello all,

I was looking to see if you can help me with these questions which I have? I have no problem in the car but needed some guidance from you all.

1. I was wondering if the 2007 Passat 2.0T sedan has a timing chain or a timing belt.
    2. I gather that the timing chain is more reliable compared to a belt as the belt sometimes may crack leaving the driver stranded. Is this true?
    3. Also I assume that the timing belt then is it inside the engine connecting the crankshaft to the DOHC’s to operate the valves? If yes then will the belt not slip because of the engine oil?
    4. I hope the timing belt is not the same as the belt used to rotate the alternator and compressor?
    5. To replace a timing belt does one have to remove the engine out of the car? How much would it cost to replace a timing belt
    6. Sometimes older cars make this loud squeaking embarrassing noise when they start or when they are cold or when they are moving between gears, is this loud squeaking because of a timing belt? I will be embarrassed if a few years down the line my Passat starts making this noise.
    7. Also is it true that timing belts are used by car manufacturers to cost costs as its cheaper?
    Thank you all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    1) Belt.
    2) Chain is more reliable long term IMO, but the belt also lasts a long time.
    3) The belt is outside the engine driving the camshafts, but under a separate cover. It should not touch anything oily.
    4) Different belts.
    5) About $900 to do a timing belt (and water pump). Parts alone are $300-400.
    6) The squeaking noise is due to the alternator belt slipping on its pulley.
    7) Timing belts are used because they are cheaper, and frankly, they work fine.

Neutral
    Nice jdiaz. Good to see someone take a few minutes to answer some question in a very professional way.

Neutral
    Great jdiaz thank you very much.

2nd Gear
    Glad to help.....

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information