50000 Mile Scheduled Service
NEWS
 

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    19

    50000 Mile Scheduled Service

    Anyone know roughly what the cost is for the 50K service? I do a lot of my own work but recently my computer screen is saying 'service now' everytime I start it up due to the 50K service due. Any way to turn that off? Not saying I want to neglect my car but it was recently fully serviced through another source and I'm tired of looking at 'service now' everytime I get in my car. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    51
    Ahhh as far as I know you should only be getting Oil Change Service done.
    there is a 40k and 60k service and everything in between is minor like oil change and stuff like that. At 60k you have to get your spark plug done.
    When was the last time you got your oil changed? if its been over 5k miles than its time to change your oil.

    Good luck Buddy

  4. #3
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by amanp786 View Post
    Ahhh as far as I know you should only be getting Oil Change Service done.
    there is a 40k and 60k service and everything in between is minor like oil change and stuff like that. At 60k you have to get your spark plug done.
    When was the last time you got your oil changed? if its been over 5k miles than its time to change your oil.

    Good luck Buddy
    Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated.

  5. #4
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by amanp786 View Post
    Ahhh as far as I know you should only be getting Oil Change Service done.
    there is a 40k and 60k service and everything in between is minor like oil change and stuff like that. At 60k you have to get your spark plug done.
    When was the last time you got your oil changed? if its been over 5k miles than its time to change your oil.

    Good luck Buddy
    My manual says every 10,000 miles for oil changes. Is this not the normal practice?

  6. #5
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    51
    I preferred at every 5K miles.

  7. #6
    I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    A Cardboard Box
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
    My manual says every 10,000 miles for oil changes. Is this not the normal practice?
    Regardless of what any manufacturer may say, I always change the oil at any where from 3-6k miles or 4-6 months, whichever comes first. 5-6k miles is a very reasonable amount of time to have the oil changed. If you are not changing the oil yourself, start doing it. You will save hundreds of dollars a year, depending on how many miles you drive, and it is very easy to do.

  8. #7
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,007
    If you're running full synthetic per the VW specs, changing at 10k interval is just fine. 3k interval is not necessary with full synth oil. There is nothing wrong with it, except that you pay for 3 oil changes.

    Nothing wrong with doing the work yourself, if you have the time, the work area, and the place to dispose of the used oil properly...

    I like paying someone to do all that. I can spend my time on other things. Vive capitalism.

  9. #8
    I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    A Cardboard Box
    Posts
    13,581
    Just to let everyone know, if you are looking for a place to dispose of you used motor oil, all Pep Boys and most other auto stores will accept your oil for free and recycle it, as long as it is in a sealed milk galloner.

  10. #9
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    51
    Is there a guide somewhere how to change oil by yourself without F*****g anything up

  11. #10
    Neutral
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central, MA
    Posts
    17
    Just curious, for those changing synthetic per the VW specs @ 10,000 miles, does the filter last that long as well?

    Oil blasting thru that filter for 10,000 miles seems a bit much.

    This may not be a big deal, but I'd hate to discover bits of filter/paper on the dip stick....

    I change my own oil at 5,000 miles give or take with Mobil 1 0w40. I use Mann filters from ECTuning.com

    Just food for thought - Happy Holidays!

  12. #11
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    530
    I believe 10k between changes is much to long. 5k seems about right.

  13. #12
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florence MA (01062)
    Age
    36
    Posts
    166
    I spoke to a VW mechanic who said that every 10k is fine. However he recomends having the Filter changed at 5k. I am planning on every 7500 miles for the full change.

  14. #13
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by NINpho1 View Post
    Anyone know roughly what the cost is for the 50K service? I do a lot of my own work but recently my computer screen is saying 'service now' everytime I start it up due to the 50K service due. Any way to turn that off? Not saying I want to neglect my car but it was recently fully serviced through another source and I'm tired of looking at 'service now' everytime I get in my car. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    (FOLLOW-UP)
    I called my local VW dealer and just asked price-wise what I was looking at. He told me over the phone that for the 50K service it's $150. That's not bad. I will be making an appointment shortly. Thanks everyone for the feed back. You guys are a lot of help!

  15. #14
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    47
    Changing just the filter is easy on the '09 as it's right under the hood. And it's a filter, not a cartridge. I presume no local auto parts place (other than a VW dealership) will have a good one.

  16. #15
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    LAS MILPAS TEXAS
    Posts
    21
    I change my oil at 3k and its full synthetic but i smell and look at the oil and it looks like it needs the oil change

  17. #16
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    If you're running full synthetic per the VW specs, changing at 10k interval is just fine. 3k interval is not necessary with full synth oil. There is nothing wrong with it, except that you pay for 3 oil changes.

    Nothing wrong with doing the work yourself, if you have the time, the work area, and the place to dispose of the used oil properly...

    I like paying someone to do all that. I can spend my time on other things. Vive capitalism.

    Even my 2009 manual says to change the oil more frequently than 10K miles if one drives in a very dirty environment, aggressively or short commutes. The manual doesn't say 3k mile OCI's or 5k mile OCI's.....just do it more frequently than 10K.

    I agree that 3k with synthetic is too often....unless you are taking your car to the track. But I am a firm believer, after a lot of reading on these VW Turbos....that 5k is probably a really good idea and one I will follow. The 1.8T and the 2.0T supposedly chew up the oil really quickly.

    If I am not mistaken, the guy that posted in the B5 forum that got 300k miles on his car and still has the original turbo....did it every 5k miles.



    Quote Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
    Changing just the filter is easy on the '09 as it's right under the hood. And it's a filter, not a cartridge. I presume no local auto parts place (other than a VW dealership) will have a good one.
    I also imagine that the filter is perfectly fine for 10k OCI's and at this time, plan to have it changed every other oil change (draining it at the first change, of course).


    .

  18. #17
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vernon, NJ
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by NINpho1 View Post
    Anyone know roughly what the cost is for the 50K service? I do a lot of my own work but recently my computer screen is saying 'service now' everytime I start it up due to the 50K service due. Any way to turn that off? Not saying I want to neglect my car but it was recently fully serviced through another source and I'm tired of looking at 'service now' everytime I get in my car. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    iirc, put the key into the accessory position. Hold down the wrench button. While holding the wrench button, push the key on to the "On position" but do not start the car. Press the "min" button and you should see the service now shut off.

  19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2