Price for Oil Change?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Price for Oil Change?

The dealership i bought the B6 from said their oil changes cost ~$70. The dealership that i took the car to did an oil change and their price is $110 plus tax. They say the difference is in "toping off fluids". I tell you what, i was expecting a sort of STANDARDIZED service from VW dealer to VW dealer. i am not finding that at all. Also, neither one knows how to activate the Convenience Windows!!! I am a little disenchanted with this whole thing.

What is your stealer oop! dealer charging for an oil change?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    For the 20K service:
    - Change oil
    - Change engine air filter
    - Change spark plugs
    - Change cabin are filter
    - Inspect belts

Quotes where $230 and $270 at two dealerships!

Did it myself for $95 (plus $50 in special tools) and 90 minutes effort.

Neutral
    You are looking at close to $50 in parts with the oil ($6 - $7 a qt x 5) and filter ($13)

4th Gear
    Yea, I was shocked my first oil change on my B6 at $75. I know it needs synth, but the B5.5 was in the $50 range when it needed changing.

2nd Gear
    wow. my first oil change at my dealer was 64.00. I just had it done yesterday. Plus i had that coupon for the free summer service check. We will see how the 10k and the 20k service are in the future. i am down here in san antonio, tx

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by knerml View Post
    For the 20K service:
    - Change oil
    - Change engine air filter
    - Change spark plugs
    - Change cabin are filter
    - Inspect belts

Quotes where $230 and $270 at two dealerships!

Did it myself for $95 (plus $50 in special tools) and 90 minutes effort.
    Do you have to change spark plugs at 20K?

1st Gear
    Yes.

Although, they did not look like they needed replacing.

BTW - I recommend changing the cabin air filter annuallly. There was a lot of debris (like bits of leaves) collecting at the bottom of the filter housing. I have had simular issues with other Passats and Audi A4's, with this respect.

Neutral

Shop around....

The dealer I bought it at told me about $95 for the service. I found another dealer that does it for $65. Not too shabby with a free wash and a gas top off.

My intake has Emphysema R36Dreams's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    $170 for a 5K svc. It's basically an oil change......man I was pissed.

1st Gear
    Is the B using the same oil filter as the B5.5?

1st Gear
    no B6 uses a cartridge type filter. It costs ~$13 that adds up to the oil change.
    Be careful if you take ur car to non-vw oil change places as they might NOT replace the filter.

spark plugs are NOT required to be replaced at 20K interval. Its on the manual, I believe 60K. People do it ~ 30K to be safe... Im planning to do mine soon.

Anything over $85 is a rip off. Unless other services are included besides the usual "check this, check that, check nothing", like maybe a tire rotation, pollen filter change, air filter change and etc..

1st Gear
    Just did my first oil change. Dealer quoted $65 for synthetic oil change. I brought my own oil and they reduced the estimate to $40. When I paid, the final bill was $25.99 Luv it when they come under estimate. Basically, I paid $26 for labor, filter, top off fluids, car wash and interior vacuum. Well worth the $$$$$

Neutral
    shame they didnt vacuum the exterior... Still a GREAT price!

1st Gear
    They also did good work. They didn't overfill my oil and clearly paid attention to the oil level. I brought five quarts and they left exactly 0.1 quarts in my trunk. Now that's attention to detail. The dealer is Midwestern Auto Group.

3rd Gear
    Blog Entries
    Feel lucky...my W8 takes 9 quarts...with filter and if I do it myself - $70. Labor is not cheap on a VW.

Neutral
    at my dealership I paid for oil change at 10K - $78 and with 20K service it was all together $250

1st Gear
    Just picked up my 08 on Thursday night. Traded in my 04 gls with 100k. Removed most of my mods, but left the koni fsd and eibachs along with the apr chip. I haven't seen to many mods yet on here. Has anybody changed their own oil yet? I'm used to changing my own.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by GaPassat View Post
    The dealership i bought the B6 from said their oil changes cost ~$70. The dealership that i took the car to did an oil change and their price is $110 plus tax. They say the difference is in "toping off fluids". I tell you what, i was expecting a sort of STANDARDIZED service from VW dealer to VW dealer. i am not finding that at all. Also, neither one knows how to activate the Convenience Windows!!! I am a little disenchanted with this whole thing.

What is your stealer oop! dealer charging for an oil change?

Standardized service..... doesnt exist

B6 2.0
    40k @ dealership 5 min away $875 (Salinas, CA)
    40k @ dealership 30 min away $625 (Santa Cruz, CA)
    40k @ dealership 2 hours away $446 (Merced, CA)

Neutral
    I've had oil changes at a single dealership range from $65-100.

Weird

1st Gear
    I change the oil myself. It's easy, just get some ramps from Walmart ($29) and a 'star' driver to remove the cowling and some sockets. It's actually fun and it helps you to get to know the car a little better. I'm not a 'wrench' by any means but changing oil isn't hard. Walmart also sells Mob-1 0W-40. Just purch the filter from VW and keep your receipts.

22. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information