When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenny Payne

Thread: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6?

1st Gear

When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6?

I know the mainenance schedule calls for 90K but I'm at 60K and I've been contemplating on whether or not to change it now...

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (MTVW)

If you're under the 100K warranty and you have all the little dealer stamps in your maintanence booklet, and you can afford to be without your car for up to two weeks, then wait until the recommended change interval. Your butt is covered. If not, do it now.

Regards,

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (Kenny Payne)

I'm a second owner...but I do have an extended warranty. I was going to go have it checked on Saturday just to be on the safe side, but I figured why pay to have it checked when it may be better to just have them replace it for $300.

6th Gear

$300??? !!! Someone's going to do your timing belt for $300? That's a VERY good price.

1st Gear

Well I go that price quote from the dealership and he said not to quote him on it......LOL

6th Gear

I have a 1.8t, so we may be talking apples and oranges, but I doubt it. As I recall, the labor charges for my car were around $275, and this was at an independent. If you can get it done for $300, I'd say go for it.

Regards,

Neutral

shoot, for $300 you should go ahead and have it done twice!

1st Gear

90K? The current (2002/3) calls for 105K.

Sounds like a long time, either way.

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? ('03 Tradewind)

105 sounds like a long time....So all when would you recommend changing the belt? I heard of some having problems as early as 65K....

6th Gear

There's a timing belt replacement guide at http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...TOKEN=35822606

Interestingly, it lists the 1999 2.8 liter V6 as requiring a new belt at 75K miles. This is for the 99 specifically. Other model years have different (longer) intervals.

In any case, if you're not covered by a warranty and you can't afford to buy yourself a new engine out of pocket, I'd strongly suggest that you have the work done.

Regards,
    michalskim23 likes this.

5th Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Interestingly, it lists the 1999 2.8 liter V6 as requiring a new belt at 75K miles. This is for the 99 specifically. Other model years have different (longer) intervals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 2001 (one of the last B5's)has a decal on the radiator support indicating 75K also....

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (VWGUY4EVER)

Seen them go before 90k. We recommend timing belt replacement on all 1.8t's & V6's every 60k miles. Remember better safe then sorry.

V6 timing belt kit $139.95, in stock

5th Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (ECS Tuning-Tom)

no offense...but of course you would recommend changing earlier than the schedule since it's more sales for you guys!!! but lets remember this is a pretty pricey maintenance item.

i'm close to ordering about $400 from you guys when i do my timing belt swap (with all other related items at the same time). when i'm done with it, it'll be about a 600-700 job.

(please don't take my tone as a knock on you guys, it's anything but!)

Neutral

Kenny...just curious. The recommendation is to change it at 75K. Would also the recommendation be to change it *every* 75K, if you keep the car that long? In other words, this is not a one time replacement, but it should be replaced at this interval all the time?(i.e. 75K, 150K, 225K....)

6th Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (bk3104)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>this is not a one time replacement, but it should be replaced at this interval all the time?(i.e. 75K, 150K, 225K....)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. It's a "wear and tear" item.

Regards,

Neutral

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (bk3104)

Since my intention is to keep my car for ~10 years/180Kmiles, I've more or less decided I'll wait till 90K to do it the first time. I feel fairly safe in that I had it "checked" at 40K (as on the recommended maintenance list) with a + report. I also looked at it myself after a post several months ago described how to do it - it still looks pristine. I'm at 47K now.

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (Indyvariant)

I think I'll just go ahead and have it done......every 60k ish....I'd rather be safe than sorry...I replaced the one in my Jetta at 85K....then again at 140K...since I was told to do it every 60K by my trusted mechanic....too bad he is so far away now...

<![CDATA[I think I'll just go ahead and have it done......every 60k ish....I'd rather be safe than sorry...I replaced the one in my Jetta at 85K....then again at 140K...since I was told to do it every 60K by my trusted mechanic....too bad he is so far away now...

[Modified by MTVW, 4:33 PM 11/22/2002]

4th Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (Medrosje)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>no offense...but of course you would recommend changing earlier than the schedule since it's more sales for you guys!!! but lets remember this is a pretty pricey maintenance item.

i'm close to ordering about $400 from you guys when i do my timing belt swap (with all other related items at the same time). when i'm done with it, it'll be about a 600-700 job.

(please don't take my tone as a knock on you guys, it's anything but!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you spending $400 on? The timing belt, tensioner roller and water pump run about $200 total. What else is there to buy?

Does anyone know about how long it takes to do a timing belt change? Including all the other items of course. Water pump...tensioner etc.

Thanks

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (trlyka)

Well I went to the dealer on Saturday......the 300 dollars apparently was not the correct price.... the mechanic quoted me over 1K with the Water pump....but the advisor quoted me $806 with the water pump and tensioner. I had him write that price down...I didn't have to have it done though. The mechanic said it was in great shape and VW does not recommend replacing it until 105K I won't be waiting that long....its a piece of rubber!

oh yeah btw trlyka...dealer says 7.5 hours to do the belt..etc.

[Modified by MTVW, 9:59 AM 11/25/2002]

<![CDATA[Well I went to the dealer on Saturday......the 300 dollars apparently was not the correct price.... the mechanic quoted me over 1K with the Water pump....but the advisor quoted me $806 with the water pump and tensioner. I had him write that price down...I didn't have to have it done though. The mechanic said it was in great shape and VW does not recommend replacing it until 105K I won't be waiting that long....its a piece of rubber!

oh yeah btw trlyka...dealer says 7.5 hours to do the belt..etc.

[Modified by MTVW, 9:59 AM 11/25/2002]

[Modified by MTVW, 10:15 AM 11/25/2002]

3rd Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If you're under the 100K warranty and you have all the little dealer stamps in your maintanence booklet, and you can afford to be without your car for up to two weeks, then wait until the recommended change interval. Your butt is covered. If not, do it now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    “Timing belt check” at 40K- and 80K-mile maintenance is for 1.8T only, not for 2.8 V6. On V6, premature timing belt failures should be covered up to 100K miles if you have 100K-mile powertrain warranty even if you didn’t do the phantom belt check.

BYW, 105,000-mile timing belt change interval is not unusual at current standard. All Honda vehicles have 105,000-mile change interval since 1998. Strangely, we’ve not heard any complaints of premature timing belt failures on Hondas either from friends or their forums.

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (yrwei52)

105K seems like a long time for a piece of rubber whether its on a Honda or a VW.

VW recommends (this is from the mechanic and his little book) checking at 40K and 80K and replacing at 105K... whatever. There is a little sticker under the hood that says replace toothed belt at 75k... I think VWGuy mentioned that b4. So to tell you the truth its a bit confusing especially with all the different opinions. I would suggest having it checked regularly after 60K to be on the safe side. Unless you'd rather have it break of course.

<![CDATA[105K seems like a long time for a piece of rubber whether its on a Honda or a VW.

VW recommends (this is from the mechanic and his little book) checking at 40K and 80K and replacing at 105K... whatever. There is a little sticker under the hood that says replace toothed belt at 75k... I think VWGuy mentioned that b4. So to tell you the truth its a bit confusing especially with all the different opinions. I would suggest having it checked regularly after 60K to be on the safe side. Unless you'd rather have it break of course.

[Modified by MTVW, 11:04 AM 11/25/2002]

Neutral

yes... I've never heard of a timing belt breaking on a Honda in the forums or from owners... many of whom drive & mod their cars like crazy. and.... since my new civic is a non-intereference engine, if for some reason it did break... no big deal. and.... to make it better, my Honda dealer charges less than $200 for a timing belt change. The timing belt issue was one of the main reasons I sold the Passat, along with a $700 brake job every 30K, etc. etc. It was an awesome car, but too expensive for what it is.

3rd Gear

I owned two cars with non-interference 4-cylinder OHC engines. This means I can drive the car as long as I can until the timing belt break (actually, the belt itself will not break, the tooth will) and the valves won’t get damaged. The timing belt on ’72 Mercury Capri (Euro Ford) broke at 52,000 miles. The timing belt on ’85 Jetta broke at 108,000 miles. So I truly believe with new technology on belt the timing belt should be able to last over 105,000 miles just like my Jetta did.

Or we can always choose the timing-chain equipped engines and forget about the premature failures on timing belt!

3rd Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (sfrich19)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>yes... I've never heard of a timing belt breaking on a Honda in the forums or from owners... many of whom drive & mod their cars like crazy. and.... since my new civic is a non-intereference engine, if for some reason it did break... no big deal...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I was surprised to learn that your new Civic has a non-interference engine design (1.7 SOHC?) at current era. The timing belt change interval is at record long 110,000 miles too!

Overdrive

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>105K seems like a long time for a piece of rubber whether its on a Honda or a VW. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. However, timing belts, like virtually anything else that's black and plyable on the car, are not made of rubber anymore. They're made of synthetics and re-inforced internally with fiberglass or similar high strengh fibers. Technology!

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (Macabre)

Good to see you back Macabre! I understand that it's not just rubber....I am a bit leary though of letting it go until 105K. Especially since I'm a second owner...

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (Medrosje)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>no offense...but of course you would recommend changing earlier than the schedule since it's more sales for you guys!!! but lets remember this is a pretty pricey maintenance item.

(please don't take my tone as a knock on you guys, it's anything but!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offense taken, thanks for the comments.

I do have a questions for some of you guys. If your timing belt breaks while your still under warranty will the dealer cover the belt & the damage or just the belt?
    I have heard customers say that the dealer would not cover the damaged engine & blamed it on the customer not coming in to get his/her timing belt condition checked.

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (ECS Tuning-Tom)

Its my understanding that if you have your belt checked regularly at the 40K and 80K intervals and they say its fine..and then it breaks prior to the 105K mark...... The dealer will replace the engine and of course the belt. But you must have documentation that states it was checked...If you don't you're SOL. Anyone else want to chime in?

3rd Gear

Again, I believe scheduled “timing belt check” at 40K- and 80K-mile maintenance is only applicable to 1.8T, not to 2.8 V6.

1st Gear

Re: When do you change the Timing Belt on a V6? (yrwei52)

Not according to the Mechanic that I spoke with......but who cares....check it whenever...and replace it if it looks bad.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information