Rattling metalic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wate
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Water pump? Anyone?

I have 72,000 miles on a '98, 1.8 T tip. When accelerating or even just revving the engine there is a rattling metallic noise from the engine bay. Its definatly not brakes, wheel, or suspension since I can hear it just by revving the engine at a standstill.

It has to be something that's spinning: water pump, power steering pump, AC comp, fan???? Don't know which.

Please help. Anyone else have this symptom?

<![CDATA[I have 72,000 miles on a '98, 1.8 T tip. When accelerating or even just revving the engine there is a rattling metallic noise from the engine bay. Its definatly not brakes, wheel, or suspension since I can hear it just by revving the engine at a standstill.

It has to be something that's spinning: water pump, power steering pump, AC comp, fan???? Don't know which.

Please help. Anyone else have this symptom?

[Modified by TC2000, 7:38 PM 7/25/2002]

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wa ... (TC2000)

I have been hearing the exact same sound on my '99 1.8T w/Tip for about a year now and took it in to the dealer and they said it was "normal", Yeah Right .

My dealer also told me that it's my fuel pump making the noise that's "normal".

<![CDATA[I have been hearing the exact same sound on my '99 1.8T w/Tip for about a year now and took it in to the dealer and they said it was "normal", Yeah Right .

My dealer also told me that it's my fuel pump making the noise that's "normal".

[Modified by mrgreek2002, 7:46 PM 7/25/2002]

Neutral

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration f ... (mrgreek2002)

No way that could be the fuel pump. The noise is really loud, especially if you have the driver's window open and you drive by something that reflects the sound back to you, like driving by a fence or something.

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration f ... (TC2000)

That's what I was thinking too. Do you think I should have it checked out by another dealer?

Banned

I am having the same issue. After having the valves replced when the timing belt crushed everything, I think that the valves are loose, or something. I have the engine hood up, and press on the throttle a little, and the noise gets louder. I think its a loose valve that's tapping in the rear of the engine, mabe 3rd or 4th cylinder, dunno. I would recomend taking the car to a different dealera dn see what they say. If anything, its under the original owners poweretrain warranty. Im eventuallt going to take my car in once I get back from my vacation. Keep us posted

2nd Gear

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wa ... (Scuba2001)

it is your AC idler pulley/tensioner assy.

they always go bad.......havent figured out how much they are, but they are a PITA to install unless you have tiny hands unlike me

Neutral

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wa ... (SLAB)

This is starting to sound more and more like a common problem that many others have experienced.

AC Idler pulley sounds better than a bad valve. Could it be timing belt tensioner? I haven't changed the timing belt yet. I have seen reference to changing it at 104,000 miles. Screw that, I'll probably get it changed soon.

Also, I am second owner, so no original warranty for me.

Banned

Dealer told me belt to be changed at 60,000 fyi (i beleive)

Neutral

Sorry to dig up an old thread but did you ever get this resolved? I have a 99 1.8t Tip that has the same (from the sound of it. No pun intended) issue, it was making this noise at the 40k service and the dealer (one I actually trust a little) didn't say anything about it but I forgot to specificly ask the question. Thanks

1st Gear

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wa ... (4drGTI)

I have a V6 doing the same thing. Anyone? Anyone?

3rd Gear

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wa ... (mark_j)

Neutral

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wa ... (Fluid)

I had a rattle at specific low end RPMS...it eventually got worse. (started at around 30K miles) The engine would rattle at start up then be fine. I brought it into the dealer, asked him to find the loose heat shield and fix it. He told me it was a bad cam chain tensioner. The cam chain connects the two cams together, and there is a hydraulic tensioner. There was a leaky gasket, so it had inadequate pressure to keep the chain from rattling at low RPM and startup.

It was fixed under warranty. Good thing too.... it was a 6-8 hour job.

Neutral

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wa ... (gwfink)

Hmm very interesting response as I think this sounds more like it is coming from the head and not from a pump. Thanks I think it is time for a trip to the dealer.

Neutral

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wa ... (4drGTI)

In case it helps...the sound would occur only when at 1200-1400 rpm or so, so I thought it was a loose heat shield going into resonance when the engine matched its natural frequency. Later the problem was quite audible at startup. Big rattle then it would go away. (except at 1200-1400 rpm)

4th Gear

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration from engine bay; Wa ... (SLAB)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>it is your AC idler pulley/tensioner assy.

they always go bad.......havent figured out how much they are, but they are a PITA to install unless you have tiny hands unlike me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think my car has that noise to. Only when sitting idle in Park. But I can live with that noise rather then take my car to the stealership.

Neutral

Re: Rattling metallic noise on acceleration ... (quailallstar)

I had that same noise on my 98 1.8T. I've had timing belt and tensioner replaced at 80K and that has seemed to resolve the problem. Make sure on older models 98-99 to replace the tensioner when timing belt is replaced.

2nd Gear

Quote Originally Posted by 5967
    I had a rattle at specific low end RPMS...it eventually got worse. (started at around 30K miles) The engine would rattle at start up then be fine. I brought it into the dealer, asked him to find the loose heat shield and fix it. He told me it was a bad cam chain tensioner. The cam chain connects the two cams together, and there is a hydraulic tensioner. There was a leaky gasket, so it had inadequate pressure to keep the chain from rattling at low RPM and startup.&lt;p>It was fixed under warranty. Good thing too.... it was a 6-8 hour job.

In case it helps...the sound would occur only when at 1200-1400 rpm or so, so I thought it was a loose heat shield going into resonance when the engine matched its natural frequency. Later the problem was quite audible at startup. Big rattle then it would go away. (except at 1200-1400 rpm)
    So based on the info from this post I brought my car in last week with these EXACT symptoms (clicking at startup, 1200-1400 rpm noise). I told the dealershit about it last Friday, but of course they did nothing. I brought it back on Tuesday, told the manager to drive the car, and then he heard it. He said it was just a loose panel in the car... I brought it in today, told them I wanted a rental car for having to come in again, and they gave me one (18 times to the dealership and I finally get some service)! Good thing because when I went back later in the day the service writer said it was a bad cam chain tensioner! Exactly what I told them the week before. He said it would take until mid next week to fix it.

My question is this though, my car has always had a really rough idle. Would this be the reason for that too?

Gwfink, did you car run better after the fix? Is there anything else I should worry about from them doing this job? Anything I should check when they are done?

Thanks.

Neutral

My question is this though, my car has always had a really rough idle. Would this be the reason for that too?
    I would doubt it. Search for a write up on cleaning the throttle body. I did it a couple of nights ago and viola; smoooooth idle again. An easy 25 min job with huge feeling of accomplishment.

Don't forget to do a TB alignment afterwards.

Neutral
    My 03 passat makes the same noise, I am no expert but I think it is comming from the heat sheild by the turbo.

4th Gear
    Search for "cam chain adjuster" and "cam chain tensioner" to compare symptoms. My cam chain rattled like a Diesel engine on cold starts and hot idle, because a leak deprived the cam chain adjuster of oil. This problem is pandemic on both 1.8Ts and V6s.

PZ
    Redline
    This post was dead for over 3 years.

2nd Gear
    my 2000 1.8T rattles from 1800-1900 rpm and then stops.... wat is it!

bringin' her back

1st Gear
    there have been lots of cam chain tensioner issues lately on here. i changed mine a couple of months ago, calum had to do his, john_e did his, just to name a few examples. if you hear a rattle at cold start and/or hot idle i'm willing to bet that's what it is. the tensioner is located at the back of the engine just under the valve cover. if you can pinpoint the rattle to this location, then that's the culprit. do some searching as hammlm suggests and compare your symptoms to others. good luck.

25. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information