ZF5HP19 lost all fluid

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blue72super

Thread: ZF5HP19 lost all fluid

Neutral

ZF5HP19 lost all fluid

My 2004 pumped all the fluid out in 1/4 mile. Car never missed a shift, no codes. Just lost all fluid.
    Looks like either a pump seal or something else in the bell housing. Fluid coming out of hole at the bottom of bell housing.
    Looking for a good transmission shop in Atlanta area.

Thanks,
    Clark

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    Usually that is the seal on the torque convertor. Hopefully the front pump bushing was not damaged and ends up stuck on the torque convertor as that usually require a new front pump instead of a $20 seal (with a huge labor bill to R and R the trans).

Neutral
    Thanks PZ
    I will more than likely do the R&R myself.
    Was just looking for a tranny shop to do the repair if it was more than a seal change.

Clark

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    If the bushing is stuck on the TC, you will know right away. At that point, a used trans might be cheaper.

Neutral
    Will pull transmission this week.
    Worse comes to worse, I have found a used GMR with 100,000 that is 300 miles away from me.
    Clark

Neutral
    contact savagechassis ... they've done some decent work and are pretty good with the B5.5 trans. They are in Dallas, GA...not sure how close/far away that is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jaystewart View Post
    contact savagechassis ... they've done some decent work and are pretty good with the B5.5 trans. They are in Dallas, GA...not sure how close/far away that is for you.
    OP is down near Newnan. About an hour away. I'll have to check out Savage next time i'm down there. My brother lives in Dallas.
    Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

6th Gear
    I suggest you check and post the codes first.
    If all the fluid was pumped out, there are codes stored at least in the TCM.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by jaystewart View Post
    I will have to call them, see what they can do. Sharpsburg is between Newnan and Peachtree City.
    Clark

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Usually that is the seal on the torque convertor. ...
    Re: "usually" -- How common an occurrence is this? Is there any way to defend against it?

Neutral
    Torque Converter failure is somewhat common. Not sure if seal only is common.
    My Passat had no fluid leaks, garage floor was always dry. This gave me no indication of eminent failure.

Clark

PZ
    Redline
    As for the TC, failure of the locking mechanism is common on the V6 4Motions and it also happens on the FWD and 1.8T models. The B5 S4 and A6Q models also have this as a common failure. For the TC seal, it's less common and I have seen V6 cars go well over 200K without a problem. On my own V6 4Mo, the TC lock failed at around 105K and I replaced the seal when the trans was out. On my older son's V6 FWD, I replaced the seal and TC as a preventive at around 155-160K. This was mainly due to my manual swap and having a nice rebuilt/upgraded lock seal TC on hand with less than 50K on it.

If the car is stopped before too much fluid leaks out, the bushing in the pump may not fail. I have seen it twice (not in person, but I knew the owners); once on a B6 S4 and the other on a Passat. On the one Passat I pulled apart with the failure (also a V6 4Mo), the owner had called me after he noticed a small leak under the car a few days before it failed. He was convinced it was coolant or oil and did not check the fluid as it was a "small leak". He had planned on coming in within a week to have me check it. A few days later, the seal blew on the highway, with a ton of smoke and he kept driving. When he finally exited the highway and pulled over, the car would no longer move.

Neutral
    I only coasted once it came out of gear, no more than 200 yards. No more than a minute with engine running. Winched onto a trailer and hauled it home.

Clark

Neutral
    Contacted savagechassis and they said that they could/would work on it. Also got a hold of a mechanic that works at Heritage VW and can work it in his home shop.

Clark
    PZ likes this.

Neutral
    Took it to Savage Chassis. They just got it out and the TC bushing spun and the seal is bad.
    Now would I be better off having it rebuilt or installing a used one with 98,000 on it?
    Clark

1st Gear
    How many miles on your trans? I assume the replacement trans is at 98k? FWIW, I have a used oil pump in good condition I'd send for the cost of shipping if that helps with the rebuild costs. I assume that in either case you would be getting a replacement TC. Warranty/cost for each option would be the deciding factor for me.

Neutral
    My car has 219,000, the used transmission has 98,000.
    New TC will be installed whether I go rebuild or used.
    Clark

4th Gear
    The only really serious mechanical failure of our 1.8T wagon was a failed TC, and it didn't just leak silently, it actually locked and stalled the engine while I was going 40-50 MPH in traffic. When I restarted after reaching a safe spot, fluid was splashing out and there was a horrible scraping noise coming from the bell housing.

PZ
    Redline
    With over 200K, it's probably not worth putting a rebuilt in. A used trans should be cheaper and usually comes with a 6 month warranty.

2nd Gear
    The rest of the tranny sounds OK. I think you can get by with just the TC and seal, bushing and probably fornt cover. Of course at this stage a rebuild or swap may not be that much more.
    See this for a similar failure:
    ZF 5HP19 transmission pump bushing - E46Fanatics

1st Gear
    04 GLS TDI 219K...? Perhaps something newer for your money...? EG, 05 GLS TDI 130K, asking price $6k, Raleigh on Auto Trader...? I'm just saying....

24. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information