Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

broken spring

Tags
broken spring
1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Passatfan2 
#1 · (Edited)
So the front left spring on the strut broke today on my sons car,Where is a good place to get a a pair of replacements ?
How much can it be lowered with stock rims and tires ?

#2 ·
You can easily lower the car 1.5-2.5" with aftermarket springs if that is what you want. Stock springs would be found in a junkyard or the classifieds when someone parts out their car.

#6 ·
not sure exactly how it broke but it was a clean break, i figured that since i would have to replace both front springs that we would try ones that would lower it just a little. Does lowering it with just springs make the car really bouncy...like some of the hondas you see ?

#10 ·
i got a whole strut assembly in the mail with the right spring color, i noticed that the top bump piece is different then what was in the car, does that make a difference ?
And for some reason i had to twist the bottom to get the bolt through, will that hurt or make a difference ?

#12 ·
There are two different bump stops (on the very top), one yellowish and one black. I think the blacks came on earlier models, but no idea if they make any difference.
The twisting shouldn't make any difference on performance, assuming you meant just rotating to get the holes aligned. There is a drain hole on the bottom spring plate that is supposed to be on the inboard side so it drains better, but that's about it. Technically you're supposed to take of this on strut assembly by lining up the top nuts 11 degrees offset from the the bottom bolt axis. But, if nothing was really binding, probably not a big deal.

#11 ·
To bad. I didn't check out this post earlier.
I've got 3 complete sets of stock springs laying in my garage. I would have gave a set away just to get rid of clutter.

#13 ·
It seems that the black bump stopper is shorter than the yellow one so being it shorter will give you some clunking noises as the top of the shock absorber will be hitting the top plate. If everything else matches the vehicle I just would replace it with the yellow one, you really don't know how long it has been there. as for the twisting when working with the spring things get misaligned so they need to get straighten, not a big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.