Multi Display Fading

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Multi Display Fading

Neutral

Multi Display Fading

Simple question- Does anyone know if I can replace just the red LCD display in the gauge cluster? Mine is hit or miss whether you can read it. I could replace the gauge cluster altogether but was just wondering if anyone knew. Thanks
    mane43 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Yep, it can be replaced for about $180 I think. I thought the company (can't remember the name) had a DIY kit but I could not find it on the website when I checked. Mine is also doing the same and it is annoying.
    Here is a link: Instrument Cluster Repairs
    website for $187 http://lcdautotech.com/
    TomK
    Last edited by kutcht1; 03-25-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    patrickmccaherty likes this.

Neutral
    Thank you. It's driving me crazy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Yes. The "good" website has been lost. If I find a way of fixing or even finding the initial maker of the display I will purchase and put the build up here. I know it would be way easier to just replace the cluster but a new one is pricey and who is to say a used one won't do the same? I'd say it's not a mileage thing but an age thing.

Neutral
    Also I found a good link to pixel fix http://www.pixelfix.net/eng/audi-vw-seat.html

Neutral
    Also I found a good link to pixel fix http://www.pixelfix.net/eng/audi-vw-seat.html

1st Gear
    I used Rick (LCDAutoTech) to replace mine last fall - good work, fairly quick turnaround. And, he will sell you a DIY kit, if you want to try to tackle it yourself.

That said, I wish that I knew then what I know now: There's a Russian company making a full-height, full-color drop-in upgrade MFA display unit - and, it's $200. If I had known about it last year, I would have done this, instead of having another red half-height unit installed.
    VWVortex.com - Awesomel cluster upgrade!!
    PZ and ATWPASSAT1.8T like this.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickmccaherty View Post
    Simple question- Does anyone know if I can replace just the red LCD display in the gauge cluster? Mine is hit or miss whether you can read it. I could replace the gauge cluster altogether but was just wondering if anyone knew. Thanks
    Look up BBA Reman, they will repair your cluster, I use them all the time, I own and operate a auto repair shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    patrickmccaherty likes this.

Neutral
    Thanks for all of the responses. I do a lot of auto work and I am a member of a lot of forums. Some good some great but some that are terrible. I am glad that this one seems to be a great one so far.
    PZ likes this.

3rd Gear
    I think I used LCD AUTO. Got the DIY kit, Fubared the 1st one. He sent another at no charge. If you are not handy and desoldering a ribbon cable and re-soldering a new on then either send your cluster out to have done or take it to an electronics repair place and let them do it.

It fades from old age and the Summer heat makes it worse.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppie View Post
    That said, I wish that I knew then what I know now: There's a Russian company making a full-height, full-color drop-in upgrade MFA display unit - and, it's $200. If I had known about it last year, I would have done this, instead of having another red half-height unit installed.
    VWVortex.com - Awesomel cluster upgrade!!
    That looks very tempting. For all the things that it can do, $200 is a good price.

Neutral
    Since we are talking about this, is there a possibility of re-soldering the original to the board to repair? Or is it the unit itself? I had heard if you remove the protector over the connection that you could put a piece of rubber to put pressure on the contact and this would help it...of course at my age it may not have happened!

1st Gear
    Mine are fading also and I haven't fixed them yet, but from previous research on this, I remember hearing that the unit is not repairable. It is nothing to do with the solder connection but something internal that degrades with time and heat. Supposedly the new ones use a better design and do not degrade although that could all just be marketing hype.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmorrill View Post
    Since we are talking about this, is there a possibility of re-soldering the original to the board to repair? Or is it the unit itself? I had heard if you remove the protector over the connection that you could put a piece of rubber to put pressure on the contact and this would help it...of course at my age it may not have happened!
    I believe it's the unit itself. I am going to fix but yes the $200 unit is very tempting.

2nd Gear
    Don't forget that it is not just $ 200 for the unit, the guy on FB, Clusters by Litke, also charges $250 for the install.

3rd Gear
    Most of the time it is the screen itself that fails. Unless one of the solder contacts breaks or comes loose which is pretty unlikely putting a block between the ribbon cable and cluster housing will do nothing.

The DIY kits do come with double sided adhesive tape and a block to hold the new ribbon to the board. The tape is a PITA and on my b5.5 it is also a PITA to remove the cluster. The B5's are much easier to remove. I didn't really trust the tape so mine is soldered in place.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post
    Don't forget that it is not just $ 200 for the unit, the guy on FB, Clusters by Litke, also charges $250 for the install.
    Is there more to the install than un-soldering the old unit and soldering in the new unit?

Neutral
    Ha-ha, the warmer it gets the more it is bothering me also.
    Does seem to be that simple but it has to be a very fine soldering tool and i am sure experience plays a part in getting it right.
    If you figure it out or even give it a shot be sure to report back as I have not found a good thread other than send it in and have it done.
    TomK

3rd Gear
    If you are not familiar with soldering and de-soldering than I highly suggest either you get an old cluster and practice or go to a electronics repair place and have them do it. Or ship it off to be done.

You have to either wear rubber gloves or have extremely cool clean (non sweaty) hands or you will leave finger print's on the black sheet that has the #'s on it. A dust free room with NO pet hair floating around. A magnifying glass that clips to your hear or (very good eye site) and a can of compressed air specifically made for electronics.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
    Is there more to the install than un-soldering the old unit and soldering in the new unit?
    Sort of. As noted, the component goes on at the factory with an automated surface-mount process that's very difficult to duplicate by hand. I used to manage a computer repair department, and my technicians didn't have the skill. Expect to ruin a few clusters and screens until you get it right.
    jjpark likes this.

Neutral
    I have a question, it seems the most cost effective way is to purchase a instrument cluster with a known good display. (ie. one with a guarantee) . My question is where it the mileage information stored? Is it in the cluster or the ECM? If it is in the cluster how easy is it to make it match? (Can it be done with VCDS?)

1st Gear
    I have a question, it seems the most cost effective way is to purchase a instrument cluster with a known good display. (ie. one with a guarantee) . My question is where it the mileage information stored? Is it in the cluster or the ECM? If it is in the cluster how easy is it to make it match? (Can it be done with VCDS?)
    Problem is....virtually all older clusters will fade to some degree sooner or later. The original parts are just not a robust design. Also, the cluster must be matched to the car and the keys (after 2001 I think?) and this cannot be done with VCDS. There are vendors who will do this for you or you might be able to find the required software on the web _somewhere_. Finally, I think the mileage is stored in the cluster but if you can reprogram the cluster to work with your car you can probably reset the mileage as well. Not sure, but that is how it seems to work from what I've read the vendors offer.

Neutral
    Mine is an early 2000 Wagon. I have to be careful when ordering parts. Sometimes it is better to look at the 99 parts first. I am not worried about the immo, just the mileage. I'd like to have it back, I am sure I have the soldering skills to do it (have worked with surface mount soldering for years), however it is even hard to order the correct ribbon before you remove it from the vehicle. You have to know how many connections first.

6th Gear
    You don't have an immo.
    There is software that can be used to set the mileage, but dealer equipment can't do it except on a new cluster.

I think the cable is included in the kit, check before ordering.

3rd Gear
    The cable is attached to the screen when you order one. The only way to know it's the correct one is to call the supplier and have your VIN #. make sure it is made in Germany as a lot of them on fleabay are made in China.

DIY isn't like replacing shocks or the suspension. It's pretty intricate and if you don't have the skill's/experience as I've mentioned there is a very high chance of it not working and messing it up bad enough that your end result will be to get another cluster. I almost had to do that.

Overdrive
    The mileage information is stored in the cluster. If the cluster is new (under 100 miles) it can be pretty easily set, by the dealer or I'm pretty sure with VCDS. After that, the only way to adjust it is with something like the expensive and semi-legitimate software VAG TACHO. After all, it IS designed to tamper with odometer readings, a pretty big no-no in most circumstances!

Neutral
    I have 153,000 on my car. I'd hate to buy a cluster (used) with a reading of 195,000 but it is only 63 USD! I guess I will take it apart, look at which display it has and order it if I can find it. Soldering isn't an issue, I did some surface mount work for Lockeed Martin in the US, and Lucas. They were doing some work for Renault when I lived in the UK. That is where I learned why they drink warm beer...they have Lucas refrigerators! (hey, they told me that!)

3rd Gear
    You won't be able to tell which display you have just by looking at it. Other than if it's a full size or 1/2

Email Rick at LCD Auto Tech and ask him about his the DIY kit that he sells.

rickcheney@gmail.com

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpark View Post
    You won't be able to tell which display you have just by looking at it. Other than if it's a full size or 1/2

Email Rick at LCD Auto Tech and ask him about his the DIY kit that he sells.

rickcheney@gmail.com
    Awesome! Thanks very much!

Neutral
    My 2000 Passat seems to have a temperature issue with the red LCD. It will display all pixels in cold temperatures, but at cool temperatures they disappear as the car warms up or something. On a hot day, nothing. I was surprised that the salvage cars I've looked at the last couple of weeks seem have better displays (looking at other early B5s for parts compatibility).

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information