Transmission pan leaking

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

Transmission pan leaking

2004 V6 Auto with 171k on her.

Just noticed a leak at what appears to be the trans pan gasket. Is this common with this mileage or should I be looking at another place that the leak is coming from?

It appears that it isn't leaking down from above the pan but the majority of the wetness is near the large (maybe 1" in diameter) round plug from the harness that plugs into the trans) The wetness is in the front of the pan/ towards the front of the car and making its way towards the back.

The metal ID tag on the trans is as follows:

ZF GETRIEBE GMBH
    SAARBRCCKEN

-NR
    -NO 1200645

NR 1060 030088
    5HP-19

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you
    EZZ

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    This leak it totally new as of a month or 2 ago so it's significant to me. I maybe get on the gas semi hard once a month. Merging into traffic or at a light but 1/2 heavy foot while driving. (if that makes sense) I don't know if the fluid or filter has ever been serviced before I got it. Shifts pretty smooth. There is a very slight hesitation between 1st and 2nd and tip works as it should.

Overdrive
    The pan on my 2000 started leaking at about 189K. The VW dealer said the transmission wasn't serviceable and recommended I replace the whole thing. A new gasket (and new fluid, filter, plugs, a few fasteners, etc...) and it was fine for at least the next 75,000 miles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    There are several places where ATF can leak, and except for a simple drain or fill plug leak, the pan is the preferred one because fixing it is relatively easy. Leaks can happen at the TC seal, which requires transaxle removal, then where wiring harness emerges from the transmission case, and cooler lines. Best bet is to clean everything, then watch for the first sign of wetness to locate the source.

3rd Gear
    Hopefully I can get everything cleaned tomorrow after work and will let you know when I see where it's actually coming from.

Thank you

3rd Gear
    I cleaned it all up and after an hr or 2 I climbed back under to have a look. There was a (very faint) but a tiny bit of fresh fluid on the clip that seems to hold the round electrical plug to the housing. I don't know if this was residual fluid that seeped out of a crevice after spraying the area with carb cleaner but it doesn't appear it is coming from the pan gasket.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information