Clutch chatter

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clutch chatter

Neutral

Clutch chatter

My car has started to develop a very annoying shudder on takeoff right before the clutch is fully released.

The disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing have 20k on them and have been without fault since install ... the flywheel is the original dual-mass at 165k.

What's everyone's experience with this ... am I in for a new flywheel at this point?

Pa. Motor, trans and snub mounts and axles are new so I know it isn't some kind of weird vibration in the rest of the driveline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    Since the mounts are new, it does sound like a flywheel issue to me too.

6th Gear
    Did this start when the axles were replaced ?
    Are the axles OEM ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    I agree that it sounds like it is likely the flywheel. Really, since the flywheel has the springs in it that would normally be in the clutch disc itself, a new flywheel should be part of a regular B5 clutch service (and be included in the kit.) The LUK flywheel is both an OEM part (or at least was in some cars) and is not prohibitively expensive from Amazon or RockAuto.

I'm going through same issue now, with a v6. But to Tomvw question...I did have both front axles replaced at dealership with OEM rebuilt axles... 2 months later...clutch is fading fast with shuddering at launch.....Should I be concerned??

Neutral
    The axles I put in are OEM remans ... still had VAG inner joints; basically just outers are aftermarket.

The car has had a shudder on first takeoff in the morning especially when it's wet out for a while but never all the time like it was wen I posted.

The weird thing is that I haven't experienced it in a few days now so ... maybe some weird "one-time" thing? Who knows.

Ps. I'm used to driving BMWs where the dual mass flywheels cost like 600 dollars so I never bothered even looking when I did the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6th Gear
    Maybe some oil got on the clutch during assembly and is now burning off, see how it goes.
    Oil on the clutch plate will cause shuddering and will be more pronounced with moisture present.

1st Gear
    Hmm, have similar issues but thought it was User error. If I engage the clutch quicker, the shudder doesn't happen; and only in first gear from a stop. But with 225k on the ATQ motor, I'm wondering if this could be a failing crankshaft seal. I do plan to replace the clutch in another 10k or so; be interesting to find out what's going on in there.

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information