Ready for that control-arm job

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ylwagon

Thread: Ready for that control-arm job

4th Gear

Ready for that control-arm job

Our '99 1.8T wagon just keeps going despite my son's casual attitude towards maintenance. We recently changed the OE turbo for an Ebay $110 unit that seems to be working fine, so-far. Now it's time to change the 18-year old control arm set. This is the same kit from CXRacing that I installed on my A4 several years ago, but the price on Amazon is even lower now: $100. I had no complaints with the first set, and as you can see in the photo, it includes new tie-rod ends and a complete set of zinc-plated hardware. The thing in the foreground is a supercharger boost regulator for a P-40 fighter plane (not going on the Passat).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cuppie likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    You have a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk we don't know about!?

Looks like a boot kit is also on the "to-do" list.

4th Gear
    I wish that I had the whole P-40. In the eighties I worked for a V-12 aircraft engine builder, mostly on Packard (Rolls Royce) 1,650 cu/in Merlins, usually for P-51 Mustangs, but some General Motors 1710 cu/in Allisons like what this regulator fits. And yes, the CV boot job is due too.

1st Gear
    Be careful with that style boot clamp (big one). The little tangs can give way when you crimp too much.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirnbeiss View Post
    Be careful with that style boot clamp (big one). The little tangs can give way when you crimp too much.
    If you use the proper tool it should have a limiter that prevents you from over-crimping the clamp. You can find them online and they're not expensive. You can probably find them at your local auto parts store as well.

1st Gear
    World of Ironies! I was changing my motor mounts today when I noticed the nut for the bottom front left control arm had fallen off. This is the shouldered nut that goes on bottom of the spindle. I got the kit 8 mos or so ago from FCP Euro and I called and they won't just send me a new nut. Can you tell me the size and pitch of that nut from your kit? Perhaps I can get a replacement from the hardware store?

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    or you just really go for a good sense of goote-n-tight.

there are a few visual cues you've gone too far

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ylwagon View Post
    I wish that I had the whole P-40. In the eighties I worked for a V-12 aircraft engine builder, mostly on Packard (Rolls Royce) 1,650 cu/in Merlins, usually for P-51 Mustangs, but some General Motors 1710 cu/in Allisons like what this regulator fits. And yes, the CV boot job is due too.
    Wow. Thats great. Those old aviation engines are pretty fascinating. I volunteered at our local aviation museum a few years back and chipped in on the resto job for some wright cyclone R-3350s off a B-29. Absolutely massive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    If you use the proper tool it should have a limiter that prevents you from over-crimping the clamp. You can find them online and they're not expensive. You can probably find them at your local auto parts store as well.
    I have it. But the clamps with the tangs pointing up are still weaker than the OEM style (which go underneath) and can give way before getting to the limiter.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirnbeiss View Post
    I have it. But the clamps with the tangs pointing up are still weaker than the OEM style (which go underneath) and can give way before getting to the limiter.
    Gotcha. Just crimp the clamp until it feels snug and you should be fine.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by KSEADUB View Post
    Wow. Thats great. Those old aviation engines are pretty fascinating. I volunteered at our local aviation museum a few years back and chipped in on the resto job for some wright cyclone R-3350s off a B-29. Absolutely massive!
    Based on your location I assume you're referring to the Boeing Museum of Flight on East Marginal Way in Seattle. Been there a couple times on my many trips to Seattle over the past 40 years. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. I worked for the company the built the radar for the 707 with the big frisbee on stilts that used to sit parked at Boeing Field for many years until they finally retired it. Have they added that to the aircraft parked on the tarmac at the museum, I wonder?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    Based on your location I assume you're referring to the Boeing Museum of Flight on East Marginal Way in Seattle. Been there a couple times on my many trips to Seattle over the past 40 years. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. I worked for the company the built the radar for the 707 with the big frisbee on stilts that used to sit parked at Boeing Field for many years until they finally retired it. Have they added that to the aircraft parked on the tarmac at the museum, I wonder?
    Good guess!

I don't think the collection has an AWACS yet. The military flight test center for Boeing is still directly south of the museum however, so you will see them occasionally.

If you haven't been in awhile, its worth a re-visit. Especially now that the aviation pavilion is open. I'm very glad the 'City of Everett' is now under cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information