I wanted to take the opportunity to share a project that I have been dreaming of working on ever since I had my first Passat back in high school….a big turbo 4motion B5.5. But first, a little about myself…
I grew up in NJ, went to school in PA for mechanical engineering, and moved to southeast CT about two years ago where I work as a structural engineer. With a stable income, I started saving up for my first project car. A year later, I started looking for a Passat with a 1.8T, 4motion, and a 5-speed. This configuration was only available in 2004 which certainly limited my options but after a few months of searching, one showed up for sale in northern CT. The previous owner took excellent care of the car and I bought it on the spot.
My first project! A 2004 Passat with a 1.8T, 4motion, a 5-speed and 110,000 miles on the clock.
The plan: Big turbo and 400awhp
Current Parts List:
Wiseco Forged Pistons (stock bore and stroke)
IE 144x20 Connecting Rods (w/ rifle drilling)
ARP Main Studs
ARP Head Studs
OEM Main & Rod Bearings
ARP Crank Bolt
IE Billet Timing Gear
AEB head (bought used from someone on Audizine, 150k miles on it)
Supertech Exhaust Valves (Stainless Steel)
Supertech Valve Springs & Retainers
IE Valve Guides
IE Intake & Exxhaust Stem Seals
TBD on the injectors/fuel pump (1000cc???)
SEM Intake Manifold
70mm Throttle Body
Clutchmasters FX400 (Full Face)
Clucthmasters Steel Flywheel
ARP Flywheel Bolts
Soon after I purchased the car, I moved it into the garage where it would be at home for quite some time.
Beginning the disassembly…
Lock carrier removed.
(with my buddy’s Nissan hardbody SR20DET swapped drift truck project in the background)
I didn’t take a lot of exciting pictures as I continued to disconnect things in preparation of pulling the engine. A lot of close ups of connections/wiring/plumbing so I remember how it all goes back together. So fast forward a couple steps and….
Engine coming out!
After taking the clutch and flywheel off.
On the engine stand. Transferring the engine from the hoist to the stand proved to be a lot more difficult than I expected with just one person…
Removing a bunch of accessories and the valve cover.
Doesn’t look too bad at all for 110k miles! I had picked up an AEB head which I’m planning on using though.
Marking TDC on the cam sprocket and timing belt for reference.
Similar marks on the crank dampener.
One more shot before removing the timing belt.
After that, I removed the head bolts per the sequence in Bentley and popped off the head.
Cylinders looked pretty good. I could still see the original cross hatch.
Upside down to remove the oil pump.
Oil pump removed (Sorry for the blurry pic)
Crankshaft, rods and pistons removed.
Just about fully stripped block.
Stock rods and pistons. Won’t be needing these again!
One more picture of the block.
I bought an AEB head from an Audizine member for $300. The head has 150k miles on it and looks to be in good shape.
Beginning to disassemble the AEB head.
Camshafts removed. The girlfriend wasn’t a huge fan of my bedroom smelling like oil
Moved the head to the garage for valve/valve spring removal.
Just a collection of miscellaneous engine parts.
My buddy and his drift truck project moved out so I relocated the Passat project to the other side of the garage where there was a little more room. The new set up:
Car parts. Some old, some new!
With the head and block fully disassembled, it was time for the fun part to begin. First step was a trip to the machine shop. Luckily, there is a very well respected machine shop not too far from me- Larry’s Auto in Groton. They work on everything from big block Chevy’s to 700hp Subarus to Volvos. I swung by and talked to them about my project and what I wanted done.
I had the head clean, resurfaced, and new valve guides installed. The block was cleaned, decked, and the cylinders were honed. Total cost was a little over $700. Not the cheapest place around but they do top notch work and have a stellar reputation.
I picked the head and block up this week and I couldn’t be happier with how they turned out!
That’s where I’m currently at with the build. Should begin assembly this week! I look forward to updating this thread as I go.
Thanks for looking!
And some parts waiting to go in…