High Beams

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Steve in Chicago

Thread: High Beams

Neutral

High Beams

Hi everyone, so not long ago I installed HID Xenons Lights for the Fog Lights, and now the only halogen type of lights on my car remain the High Beams, therefore I am planning on upgrading them. But seeing the time required for the HID to get up to operating temperatures, I'd loose a big function of my Hi-Beams, blinding people when needed. Now I am checking on buying LED bulbs and my questions are
    1) Should I make the switch or not?
    2) The bubs are H4?
    3) They should be 55W?
    Thanks in advance

This is the set I'm thinking of buying : 2x H4 COB CREE LED 55W 9200LM Car Headlight Kit 6000K Lamps Globes Bulbs White | eBay

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    I'm seeing some conflicting info in the descriptions. The "Item specifics" says each bulb makes 10,000 lumens (20k total). I have a really hard time believing that. Further down in the "Item Description" specs, it say 4,600 lumen per bulb. This is much more believable, but still higher than I've ever seen (especially for the price!). I got mine at http://superbrightleds.com. They're only in the lows for now, but look way better halogen bulbs. Get them and post some pics.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shkelzenrr View Post
    ...I'd loose a big function of my Hi-Beams, blinding people when needed.
    Huh!?

Two idiots blinded by brights, headed towards each other on a dark road are not better then one idiot.
    Urlik, Tomvw and jjpark like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    I think he's referring to the 5+ seconds needed to "warm up" the bulb to full brightness and how he'd have to turn the lows back on by then. Which is why I never put hids in my other car's hi's (plus they're brighter anyways).

Neutral
    The LEDs for my Passat on that page are listed as a H7, though everywhere else I have seen that the highs are H4, and the lows are H7. A little confusing. Yeah I am talking about that time needed for them to be at full brightness.

Neutral
    I am not planning on blinding people, but there are cases when you need to just blink the highs, such as when giving someone permission to go before you, reminding them to turn off they highs and etc.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shkelzenrr View Post
    I am not planning on blinding people, but there are cases when you need to just blink the highs, such as when giving someone permission to go before you, reminding them to turn off they highs and etc.
    Got it. What I don't understand about your motivation is why you "need" to upgrade the highs. My factory low beans are just adequate, despite XtraVision bulbs. But the factory highs, with stock bulbs, seem more than adequate. (BTW, maybe they've gotten better lately, but I remember a LOT of very poor reviews on LED conversions.)

I run HID's in my high beams. I knew going in that I wouldn't get full brightness for about 30 seconds.

I can still "flash" them to signal other drivers. The instant they power on, the system has to strike an ark between two electrodes in the bulb so they produce a brief but bright flash. Once the arc is struck, current through the bulb is reduced and the wait begins for the bulb contents to come up to full temp and full brightness. I'm probably reducing the lifespan of the HID's when I "flash"them, but I'm OK with that. For the amount of use I give them and the number of times I've flashed them, I have not had anything fail yet.

I have noticed that once up to temp, if I have to shut them down for an oncoming passing car, they come right back to full brightness right away as long as I didn't have them off for a long time. I'm guessing if the bulb contents are still hot, there is no wait for them to heat up.

Most of my driving is inner city or highway. I rarely ever use my high beams in those areas. But I do have to do frequent night driving on rural Wisconsin county roads. Most are marked 55mph and I there are NO lights out there. I need to see the deer on the road as far off as I possibly can. The HID's extend my night view by a noticeable amount.
    Last edited by Steve in Chicago; 01-10-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    I run HID's in my high beams.
    Just curious, do the high beam HIDs put out more light than the lows? My lows are brighter than my halogen highs but dont project as far obviously. Wasn't sure if the high and low HID wattage is different.

You can't compare different types of bulbs by wattage because the different types have different efficiencies. A 35w incandescent won't put out as much light as a 35w halogen. And a 35w halogen won't put out as much light as a 35w HID.

In my setup, the HID high beams put out much more light then the incandescent bulbs did.

Also, are you comparing your high beams to your lowbeams? The lows have a much more confined, focused and directed beam pattern (projector fixtures especially). They are designed to light up the road directly in front of the car but not blind oncoming drivers. The highs have a broader spread and are aimed to throw light far down the road straight ahead with no concern for blinding oncoming motorists.

Fog lights are aimed even lower and broader then the low beams.

Neutral
    Is there an issue if I get them at other than 55W because I find those the hardest to find, where as 50W and 60W are widely available

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information