And That's a Wrap...

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 5 Post By sirwired
  • 2 Post By PZ
  • 1 Post By sirwired
  • 5 Post By ylwagon
  • 3 Post By kutcht1
  • 1 Post By Whirlpool

Thread: And That's a Wrap...

5th Gear

And That's a Wrap...

After about 13 years of ownership, 162,500 miles, and waaayyyy too much time spent here (with over 5,000 posts!), my period of B5.5 ownership is soon coming to an end. Hans, my GLS 1.8T M/T Anthracite Blue Wagon will soon be headed out of my garage.

I had decided that while he may (or may not, depending on buyer) make a fine vehicle for somebody else, the worn interior (saggy door cards, trashed sticky plastic), rattles and squeaks (rattling wiring harnesses beneath fragile interior panels, squeaks from some failed suspension part, again), and the advent of oil burning (1 qt or so/5k... not bad, but not the zero like I was used to) it was time to pass the baton. I want a replacement, I can easily afford one, and I certainly have gotten decent life out of this car. Yes, I could fix everything wrong with him for less than a single-year's payments on a new vehicle, but it'd still be an old car showing its age.

I've started the process of finding and paying for a '17 Honda CR-V (Obsidian Blue EX-L with grey leather, with that new nifty 1.5T engine and what is, by all accounts (don't laugh) a well-sorted CVT) Is it the equal of my beloved Hans? No. It's better in some ways (I won't miss having to thumb through my well-loved Bentley every couple months), worse in others (let's just say the steering feel isn't exactly going to shame a 'vette.) But if you want that versatility and cargo room today, a CUV is where it's at. (And on (hopefully-rare) occasions where it will require service? Being able to clearly see the ground from the engine bay will be a refreshing change.)

Also in the running were a Golf SportWagon... this close to buying one a few one a few months back, but an incompetent dealer, and then VW killing the Limited Edition nixed that plan. It's a fine car, but VW's precarious position in the US because of the TDI scandal, the near-inability to now get one with the new safety features, price increases, and my ambivalence about the seating position took it out of the running. Also in consideration was the CX-5, but I'm tired of waiting for Mazda to get their act together, tech-wise, and the fact that Mazda's are about the only cars in this area with panel rust gives me pause. (As does the reputation for interior noise in the model.)

His most likely fate is just trade-in (I'm not willing to endure Craigslist to extract a few hundred bucks; I don't trust anybody who's never driven a B5 before to not start smoking the clutch), where I honestly have no idea if he'll head to a junkyard or be picked up by some used-car dealer willing to take a big risk. I know he's in excellent overall mechanical shape, driven gently original brake pads went to 150k!), well-maintained, with fairly fresh tires, shocks, brakes, with a t-belt (and coolant flange) only 5k old, but the demand for 13-yr-old M/T high-mile station wagons of legendarily dubious reliability ain't exactly high. If somebody told me "SirWired, what would be a good car I could use for basic, versatile everyday transportation, for not a lot of money?" I don't know what my answer would be, but recommending a car like mine wouldn't be it; it's just too much of a crap-shoot, maintenance-wise.

(But hey, if anybody reading this thinks Hans sounds like the perfect car, perhaps to replace a used-up '98 or something that's gone all sludged up... I'd certainly sleep better at night knowing he's not headed off to the crusher right away. I'll even toss in my spare VW supplies and my Bentley, and if you ask politely, an old netbook with VCDS-Lite pre-loaded.)

I've had some good times here, but All Good Things Must Come to an End. I have a lot of good memories of both the car, and interacting with the people here, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I'll miss you guys.
    cchief22, 13ish, Whirlpool and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Thanks Man! We'll miss you too.

A similar destiny for my AEB Passat: After accident repairs (early 2014) rendered it a salvage vehicle, I "sold" it to my brother for daily driver use. When I turned it over, I told him ~5 yrs worth of free diagnosis...but you turn the wrenches and buy the parts.

I would've advised you to search for a B7 or a CC, but I went shopping for B7 Passats and CCs in Fall of 2015, and I come away with a 2004 Passat 1.8T (5-MT) with 89K on the clock.

Good Luck with the CR-V.

4th Gear
    All good things do come to an end, eventually. You'll be missed, lots of your posts and comments were a great contribution to this forum.

I my case, the B5 Audi has gone to a new owner, and our '99 1.8T wagon, which we bought new, is hanging on due to it being our son's hand-me-down car. Once its gone, that will be the end of the B5 series for me. I went for a ride in it the other day, and saw how he gets in: open the rear door, reach in and pull the driver's door handle. Next I go to roll down the passenger window, and he says "No, don't do that!" as the glass tilts out of the frame. "Now I have to stop to get out and push that back up!" I keep telling him that when it quits for good, that will be his problem to solve. But it keeps going, and I did just get a new control arm kit for it...

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    Best of luck with the new car. As you would get nothing in trade-in, you should at least offer it up here first. It's always better to pass a car if someone would like it.

I will be in the same situation in a few months. My car also has rattles (from the roof), peeling soft-touch and sagging cloth, all of which I can fix, but I just don't know if I want to.
    Whirlpool and benzivr6 like this.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
    )His most likely fate is just trade-in (I'm not willing to endure Craigslist to extract a few hundred bucks; I don't trust anybody who's never driven a B5 before to not start smoking the clutch)

(But hey, if anybody reading this thinks Hans sounds like the perfect car, perhaps to replace a used-up '98 or something that's gone all sludged up... I'd certainly sleep better at night knowing he's not headed off to the crusher right away. I'll even toss in my spare VW supplies and my Bentley, and if you ask politely, an old netbook with VCDS-Lite pre-loaded.).
    How much is a few hundred bucks? I may be interested.
    Last edited by woodardhsd; 01-03-2017 at 02:40 PM.

1st Gear
    Sorry to see you go! I've always enjoyed your help and insight.

I hope you're able to find someone locally who will give it a good home. I still think these B5's are classics, in a VW sense. They'll probably never build 'em like this again.

Best of luck with the Honda, and your new found free time!

3rd Gear
    sirwired

I have been here a short time but appreciate everything you did in helping me with the issues questions and concerns I had when I introduced myself to my 01 Passat. I moved on to the 04 and still love it.

Give me a PM or text me at 919-795-9355. Would love to see what you got and it's not that far to Cary ;-)

jj

Neutral
    And let me add my words of appreciation to Sirwired who shared with me his thoughts on a post I did not too long ago. My newfound b5.5 wagon would be in worse shape if it were not for the wisdom and practical advice freely given on webposts by folks such this gentleman. Best wishes to you, sir, on your new venture going forward.

Neutral
    sirwired, as all have said your time and help here has been appreciated by many with that many posts. Good luck as you move on to a new ride. As I have done with all of the vehicles I have owned and wrenched myself, I gained knowledge that many can still benefit from. I still go back to the older car forums and help where I can, hope to still see you around here as you have Passat knowledge that can continue to help others. Thank You!
    TomK

2nd Gear
    I was originally planning to try and get 250k out of my '99 B5 1.8T. The car still runs great, but it's getting to where a lot of things are needing replacement. I'm at a crossroads where I have to decide whether or not to keep putting money into the car or bite the bullet and get a replacement. I'm thinking about retiring sometime in the next six months or so and I'd like to have a car that I don't have to work on constantly just to keep it on the road. I've got too many home improvement projects that have been put on the back burner that I promised wifey I'd start working on after I retired. My problem is, once I get the bug in my ear about getting a new car it's pretty much a done deal. My B5 has served me well and I'll miss it if and when I finally do retire it. I'm eyeing up a used 2013 Audi A4 2.0T with about 36k on it for several grand below KBB so I may jump on that. Wifey has been telling me for years that I need a new car so it shouldn't take much convincing to get her to agree to it. The only thing that bothers me is that it's an automatic and I totally love driving a stick.

5th Gear
    One thing I will sorely miss here is the community. There are certainly forums for the CR-V, but it's not exactly an enthusiast's car. CRVOwnersClub has a single "Problems and Issues" sub-forum, and despite the CR-V selling ten times more cars (probably more) than the B5 ever did, it has all of 9,200 threads, and all five generations are mashed together in the single sub-forum, making glancing at the topic list pretty much useless.

I'll probably pick some stuff off the 10th Gen Civic forums, but that'll only help with powertrain issues, and will be pretty useless otherwise... It's a good thing Honda's have a reputation for not breaking, because otherwise I'll be spending a lot of time frantically downloading chunks of the service manual in $10/day bursts. (No consolidated package of the whole thing.)
    John_E likes this.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    best thing to do is like what i've done for my past few cars. go out to alldatadiy and spend the like $30 bucks on the online 5 year subsctiption.
    one time $30 goes a long way

sad to see you go! don't be a stranger!

5th Gear
    I wish it was $30/yr... it's actually $350.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    yikes! what costs that? alldatadiy for me has NEVER run that much!
    it's as far as i can tell, the dealer publicated documents, just parsed out to their web form.

we're also talking the alldataDIY, not regular alldata
    big diff!

5th Gear
    Ah, that crazy price is the official Honda service website... I'll have check out alldata.

2nd Gear
    You won't be doing anything on a 2017 car until like 2020 or later, so you'll need to buy a junker to keep your DIY skills sharp (and, no, doing your own oil change only counts when you're a noob).

While I can't really fault you for going jap for an economical SUV, I couldn't do it. I would also strongly recommend the CPO route before buying new. They throw in extra warranty, you can save gobs, and it's that much closer to DIY-dom.

2nd Gear
    I just took the plunge and bought a 2013 Audi A4 2.0T with just under 36k miles on it. I bought it from a wholesaler in Houston that was selling it for about $3K under Kelly Blue Book value. The car is super clean and looks showroom new. Wifey was cool with it, especially since it's an automatic and she can drive it. I put down a deposit so now I'm just waiting to hear back about the credit check, which shouldn't be a problem. Gotta sign some more papers when the financing's approved and then they'll ship it to me. I talked them into including the shipping costs in the price so I got a great deal.

I echo the sentiment about this community. I have been to other car forums and there isn't another one anywhere I've found that's as tight-knit and comprehensive as this one. I have learned so many things from the rank and file and most everyone here is knowledgeable and helpful to a fault. I'm not leaving since I'm hoping the past 14 years of B5 ownership will allow me to help others the same way you have all helped me. I know I won't find an Audi forum as good as this one, but if I can find one that's even just a fraction as good I'll be happy.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    I echo the sentiment about this community. I have been to other car forums and there isn't another one anywhere I've found that's as tight-knit and comprehensive as this one.
    The thing that I noticed right away about PassatWorld is the seriousness and staying on track, compared to some other forums. Some of the sites that I tried at first, such as VWVortex, rarely helped solve a problem, which was the only reason I went there. Plenty of snark, jokeing back and forth, going off on tangents, but that wasn't what I needed.
    PZ, Hirnbeiss, John_E and 2 others like this.

Neutral
    Bingo, and the reason I ONLY signed up here. Just hope all of the knowledge does not leave us.
    I also very much dislike threads that end in no solution or follow up.
    TomK
    John_E, Whirlpool and benzivr6 like this.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by kutcht1 View Post
    Bingo, and the reason I ONLY signed up here. Just hope all of the knowledge does not leave us.
    I also very much dislike threads that end in no solution or follow up.
    TomK
    and they trash older pictures so anything fixed is sans a reference.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
    After about 13 years of ownership, 162,500 miles, and waaayyyy too much time spent here (with over 5,000 posts!), my period of B5.5 ownership is soon coming to an end. Hans, my GLS 1.8T M/T Anthracite Blue Wagon will soon be headed out of my garage.
    I'd be lying if I didn't say I'll miss you guys.
    Truth be told the forum will miss you. I have used your advice on more than one occasion.
    You raised an issue that I am going to face in a year or two (or sooner if I have not already killed my 1.8). What is a suitable replacement for this car? I love the fact that I have so much torque and power in a 160k mile vehicle. It has more guts than my wife’s new car, although a blue tooth radio would be nice.
    Happy travels SirWired
    John_E likes this.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlpool View Post
    Truth be told the forum will miss you. I have used your advice on more than one occasion.
    You raised an issue that I am going to face in a year or two (or sooner if I have not already killed my 1.8). What is a suitable replacement for this car? I love the fact that I have so much torque and power in a 160k mile vehicle. It has more guts than my wife’s new car, although a blue tooth radio would be nice.
    Happy travels SirWired
    Finding a replacement was a no-brainer for me. I always knew I'd stick with the Audi/Volkswagen lineup. It was just a matter of which make and model to choose from. I was actually leaning towards an Audi A5 until I realized it's a 2-door model. I'm going to have old people getting in and out of my car so I need a 4-door sedan. I started browsing the ebay Motors section and ran across the car that will be the replacement for my B5 Passat. If you guys have never considered buying a car through ebay you really should give it a shot. This will be the 4th car I've bought via ebay. My Passat was the first and it's been my favorite car out of all of the ones I've owned. I really am going to miss it. Now I just have to figure out how I can integrate my aftermarket sound system into the factory setup.

5th Gear
    We are still a two-B5 family (2001 Passat wagon and 1996 Audi A4 sedan), but our younger son finally got out from under his trouble-prone money pit 2000 Audi S4 sedan, which I had advised him NOT to buy. Our elder son still has his B6 2002 Audi A4 sedan.

I am strongly motivated to keep the wagon as long as we reasonably can, because it has such an absolutely perfect size and configuration. Nothing currently available on the American market comes close, although the Volvo V60, the BMW 3-series wagon, the Audi Allroad, and the Golf Sportwagen are at least not hopelessly far off the mark. However, nothing else offers the Passat's superb driver's visibility, particularly the right rear sightline -- why is everyone insisting on sloping rooflines and super-fat triangular D-pillars?

3rd Gear
    I'm trying to hang onto my 2001 for another few years. Since I got laid off last March, it doesn't see much use, maybe 150 miles/month. Thanks to this forum, I know a lot (too much) about fixing it. At my age, I will probably only have one more car after this. If I buy it new, by the time it is out of warranty I will likely be beyond my DIY years or being interested in learning the ins/outs of maintaining a new brand.

2nd Gear
    I'm in a similar position as Attofarad. My '01 has only 101K miles, and is in very good shape, but things happen, and they're going to keep happening. I am less interested in keeping up with them than I used to be.

Our son may move overseas this summer for a three-year job; he won't take his 2015 Subaru Legacy. If he isn't able to sell the car before he leaves, I'll take over the task, and may buy it myself. I know the car (we drove across country together just after he bought it) and it's in fine shape. I wouldn't choose awd for our climate (mid-coast California), but I like not having to decide what to buy.

Just to see how it felt, I wrote a for-sale ad for the Passat. It felt OK to do that. The text sits here in my computer, waiting.

1st Gear
    Best of luck in your future automotive endeavors, Sirwired! I know you've definitely been a huge help on this forum.

For the exact reasons stated above, my partner and I intend on keeping his '05 1.8t wagon for as long as possible. With student loans to pay off and plans to start saving up for a down payment on a house, we would love to avoid having a new car payment. And though things do go wrong with the Passat, I've been able to stay on top of them and fix things before they become major issues. Since I do all the work myself, we save a ton on repairs. The car is currently sitting at ~153k, and I intend on keeping it well past the 200k mark. I've even toyed with the idea of keeping the Passat long enough to do a light "restoration" on it one day, when my partner is ready for a new car. At any rate, when that day comes, my 2012 CC will bring a higher resale value and will likely be the car to leave. If I dropped a manual transmission in the Passat, it would be everything I want and look for in a car. It can split the miles with my rolling project '72 Super Beetle I've seen Passats on here with upwards of 300k miles, and there's definitely a part of me that wants to join the high-mileage club. Only time will tell!

29. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information